• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Dealer recommended Throttle Body cleaning at 22k?

n2wind2000

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Just took my 19 SR5 3.5 in for an oil change and tire rotation. Several days later I get an email recommending "THROTTLE BODY SERVICE : PERFORM THROTTLE BODY & MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR CLEANING".
Is that normal for 22k miles? Price was $189.
Thoughts?

Just took my 19 SR5 3.5 in for an oil change and tire rotation. Several days later I get an email recommending "THROTTLE BODY SERVICE : PERFORM THROTTLE BODY & MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR CLEANING".
Is that normal for 22k miles? Price was $189.
Thoughts?
I have 70k on my truck and have never heard of that either. I could be wrong but it sounds like a clever way for your specific dealer to bring people in.

Sort of related: At 60k, Toyota calls for spark plug replacement. If you do it at the dealer the labor is like $500-600 because "the spark plugs are hard to get to and need other components removed".

Tip:

Although Toyota calls for it in the manual and I'm not usually one to question their judgement because they're the experts, I'm not doing spark plugs until at least 100k, if not longer. I can't possibly see how spark plugs are needed at 60k in 2022. To me, that feels like doing oil changes every 3,000 miles in 2022.

So the tip is that I wouldn't spend the money on it at 60k. But if you do, probably don't do it through Toyota. Maybe watch a video and do it yourself. Spark plugs are easy-ish if you are able to watch a video and understand gapping spark plugs. Taking off other components so you can get to them is just a manner of trying to find your way in/unbolting the bare minimum to get through. 🤷

Upvote 0
I have 70k on my truck and have never heard of that either. I could be wrong but it sounds like a clever way for your specific dealer to bring people in.

Sort of related: At 60k, Toyota calls for spark plug replacement. If you do it at the dealer the labor is like $500-600 because "the spark plugs are hard to get to and need other components removed".

Tip:

Although Toyota calls for it in the manual and I'm not usually one to question their judgement because they're the experts, I'm not doing spark plugs until at least 100k, if not longer. I can't possibly see how spark plugs are needed at 60k in 2022. To me, that feels like doing oil changes every 3,000 miles in 2022.

So the tip is that I wouldn't spend the money on it at 60k. But if you do, probably don't do it through Toyota. Maybe watch a video and do it yourself. Spark plugs are easy-ish if you are able to watch a video and understand gapping spark plugs. Taking off other components so you can get to them is just a manner of trying to find your way in/unbolting the bare minimum to get through. 🤷
$500 is a rip off. When I installed aftermarket coil packs the hardest part was figuring out how to unclip one of the plastic clips holding a connector on the middle driver's side pack. You can't see behind the backside of the bracket to undo a clip (it's a one-way push connector that you can squeeze with needle nose and it comes right out). Other than that, if you can change your air filter, you can change your coils/plugs.

Upvote 0
Porsche recommends plugs be changed every 40K so they don't seize to the block; sounds like a good idea to me. Also brake fluid gets flushed every two years. Overkill, maybe but the old saying "pay me now, or pay me later" keeps popping up in my mind.

Upvote 0
Spark Plugs: I would do them a 60 as recommended. I believe the deal is that they burn hot and foul early. They're cheap and can't possibly be that hard to replace. When I repaced the plugs on my 4Runner the difference was very noticeable.

Upvote 0
I do mine every oil change.. takes like 10 minutes to remove the intake, spray it down, and wipe it out. also recommend getting some MAF/MAP sensor safe cleaner spray, and cleaning the MAF/MAP sensor..

Upvote 0
I did a throttle body clean on my Tacoma closer to 100,000 miles it wasn’t very dirty and didn’t notice to much of a difference so 22,000 seems pretty early. I did notice a big difference when I did my 01 Tundra but it was at over 130,000 mi so their is some truth to it. Easy to do though I just used a carb cleaner that is safe for fuel injection engines spray it and wipe it off.
Iridium spark plugs should be good for 100,000 mi which I think is what comes from the factory. Could be worth to change at 60,000 just to gain a little more fuel economy though. It’s easy to do, I think the dealer takes off the manifold as part of their service instructions so they can charge more.

Upvote 0
Thoughts,
-Iridium spark plugs (Denso/NGK are a MUST) are good for 100.000+ miles for the average user. Beware of counterfeit on Ebay and Amazon,.. get the real ones.
They (Denso/NGK) also have a metallic coating than is similar to what anti-seize lube does. Anti-seize can affect torque and possible backing out.
You can change a 60,000 but they will most likely look just fine as most are.

-The throttle body gets dirty from the PCV valve recycling the oil venting from the engine.
How you drive, the oil you use and strain on the engine from towing or hill climbing does make a difference on fast it gets dirty.
Best to do make it the routine at 30,000 when you do both differentials and transfer case oils.

-Coolant gets changed at 100,000 to avoid corrosion and its usually starts breaking down in protection value at that point.

-For average use and daily driving,
I will be doing 5,000 motor oil changes - 30,000 gear oil changes - 90,000 coolant and spark plug changes.

-Harsh conditions and use,
Will justify, 3,000 motor oil - 15,000 gear oil - 50,000 coolant/plugs.

Common sense is recommended.
Just say'in.

Upvote 0
Back