• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical Dash Cam Discussion

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Have a dash cam? Just picked up a Garmin 67w. Wanted to get some input. Thinking about grabbing a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 and sticking it on the rear window.

Which one do you have?

How do you have it powered?
Dongar SimpleUSB
Outlet
Hardwired
ODB Powered?

I have the Dongar, it works great.

I have the Dongar, it works great.
Ever follow that power line up to see if it was one harness or an extension?

@cocodataco shared this pic of his install. Hopefully they are all set up the same way.
If it is, you could put the Dongar up there and run the extension from there to the mirror.
Then run a slightly longer micro-USB cable down from there. It would be a lot cleaner than the Dongar just hanging there.
The reason why I held off for so long.

136EE662-B32E-43A0-BA56-C36B70B31D91.jpeg

Ah, it was off the existing mirror. Derp. Forgot about that. Wonder if I could use one of these since it's power. Then have it go to sleep or whatever.
image.jpg

Continued... So there are 12-pin extension of modded lines to convert them from always-on to ignition-on. Now just to find one for lower pricing.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
47A0C1A0-36F7-45D3-88AE-749E5D05DE81.jpeg
This is going to sound weird no matter how I phrase it, so here it goes. This is the “dongar” I have and it doesn’t hang down at all. 😑

Last edited:
I run an Aukey $45 on sale Dashcam and I find it is good enough to use for my YouTube videos. I can't find them on Amazon anymore though. I also use the Dongar power adapter although it was kind of a silly buy since I had already rigged up a really long USB cable. I run a 4-way USB splitter off the lighter so it's not like I was out of space.

47A0C1A0-36F7-45D3-88AE-749E5D05DE81.jpeg
This is going to sound weird no matter how I phrase it, so here it goes. This is the “dongar” I have and it doesn’t hang down at all. 😑
I have one on my kitchen counter. I just don't like how it bulks. I'd rather hide that heat shrunk seection.

I have one on my kitchen counter. I just don't like how it bulks. I'd rather hide that heat shrunk seection.
You could also extend the wires if your comfortable doing it, then keep it up top behind the overhead buttons. Heat shrink to clean it up then just run the usb cable to your dash cam.

I'm considering getting a dash cam. With the increasing investment I have in my truck now it would be nice to be able to prove fault if it comes up. Though every time I've had an accident in the last 20 years, I haven't had a problem with that...

Have a dash cam? Just picked up a Garmin 67w. Wanted to get some input. Thinking about grabbing a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 and sticking it on the rear window.

Which one do you have?

How do you have it powered?
Dongar SimpleUSB
Outlet
Hardwired
ODB Powered?
Did you figure out which way you're going? Once I'm back on my feet, I'll probably be adding a similar set up but I'd like mine to have power all the time for when I'm parked in public. I'll probably run a switch so when I'm parked at home they won't draw power. Do you recommend the cameras you got?

Did you figure out which way you're going? Once I'm back on my feet, I'll probably be adding a similar set up but I'd like mine to have power all the time for when I'm parked in public. I'll probably run a switch so when I'm parked at home they won't draw power. Do you recommend the cameras you got?
I just have the 67w now. Didn't install yet. Gonna get an extension for the 12-pin to hide the Dongar adapter. To keep it on, I'd do a battery always on, not the OBDII always on. Then do an inline switch. Camera wise, I believe this is the best option without going $400+. Scored mine for around $200.

You could also extend the wires if your comfortable doing it, then keep it up top behind the overhead buttons. Heat shrink to clean it up then just run the usb cable to your dash cam.

I could, just like leaving things. But will go this route if I have to. Have taken apart lightbars and other things. But for a $35 extension I might just pull the terminals and extend from the ends.

Last edited:
Back