• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Cv axel and support mount

Supieaz

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Tacoma with a 2” lift that continues to tear the differential support mount and brake the cv axel please help

Just turning in 4x4 off-road not even in bad terrain
We need more information to help you out...thats super vague.

If you have photos or even a better more detailed description then maybe we can help diagnose for you.

I have a 3" lift, run my truck hard, and never broke a CV or have had issues with the diff mounts so im not sure what your doing or what your vehicle is doing to cause such damage.

Upvote 0
I don’t have pictures of the support mount

Attachments

• A85CFA8C-A4B1-46D6-8D55-2B79F0681A1B.jpeg
    A85CFA8C-A4B1-46D6-8D55-2B79F0681A1B.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 9F9112F4-EC3E-4B00-B056-B530EAF4871E.jpeg
    9F9112F4-EC3E-4B00-B056-B530EAF4871E.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 0B2080CA-E212-46F0-9A80-9023DFD48611.jpeg
    0B2080CA-E212-46F0-9A80-9023DFD48611.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 88
  • 2846942C-7C86-4F1F-8C8C-59C9FEB4BBB6.jpeg
    2846942C-7C86-4F1F-8C8C-59C9FEB4BBB6.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
Are you engaging 4wd at any speed?

Upvote 0
Damn son I run my truck hard in 4wd and never had this problem . I'm even on a 3in leveling kit and never had this problem . Something else is going on down there . What you do have whistling diesel drive your truck lmao . Well definitely interested on this fix gonna watch this thread

Upvote 0
Damn son I run my truck hard in 4wd and never had this problem . I'm even on a 3in leveling kit and never had this problem . Something else is going on down there . What you do have whistling diesel drive your truck lmao . Well definitely interested on this fix gonna watch this thread
Someone said it might be my differential drop spacers but it has them on it others say take them off

Upvote 0
Good luck man. I think you may have had some bad luck with two odd balls in a row.
Hopefully it won't happen again.
That being said, I would try to remember very carefully exactly what you were doing each of the times it broke (a week before, and immediately before), and describe what you heard and felt in the truck.

we all need a bit more info to help you out. Something is obviously out of appropriate limits, and is allowing the joint to fall away and pop. Steering linkages? Suspension limits? Looks like stock shocks, is that true? Very, very odd.

Upvote 0
Take the diff drop out...you shouldnt need it with a 2" lift, it could be the cause of your issue but I doubt it, I think theres something else at play with whatever is happening to cause such damage.

(I have a 3" lift and dont run a diff drop, and 0 issues)

Upvote 0
Take the diff drop out...you shouldnt need it with a 2" lift, it could be the cause of your issue but I doubt it, I think theres something else at play with whatever is happening to cause such damage.

(I have a 3" lift and dont run a diff drop, and 0 issues)

Not to hijack the thread (ok maybe a little)

How hard do you run the truck? I have seen/read in a lot of places that you'd need diff spacers for a 3 inch lift. I plan to do some hard desert and trail blasting once I get my truck dialed in and feel like diff spacers would be a requirement, if not cheap insurance.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack the thread (ok maybe a little)

How hard do you run the truck? I have seen/read in a lot of places that you'd need diff spacers for a 3 inch lift. I plan to do some hard desert and trail blasting once I get my truck dialed in and feel like diff spacers would be a requirement, if not cheap insurance.
This hard...we get the truck off her feet quite a bit in the summertime on the dunes. Ive never run diff spacers, never needed them. Ive talked with a ton of local shops and also shops out west and it really just depends on the truck if it wants them or not. Ive also never needed the ECGS bushing.

Keep in mind if your going to be running "hard" then you really dont want the 3" of lift, your gonna wanna sit a little lower to 2-2.5". Its a much smoother ride at that setting.

Attachments

• JKP_5737.jpg
    JKP_5737.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
This hard...we get the truck off her feet quite a bit in the summertime on the dunes. Ive never run diff spacers, never needed them. Ive talked with a ton of local shops and also shops out west and it really just depends on the truck if it wants them or not. Ive also never needed the ECGS bushing.

Keep in mind if your going to be running "hard" then you really dont want the 3" of lift, your gonna wanna sit a little lower to 2-2.5". Its a much smoother ride at that setting.

Oh i see. I was under the impression that the more travel the better? 3" Is worse than 2.5" in this case?

Upvote 0
Oh i see. I was under the impression that the more travel the better? 3" Is worse than 2.5" in this case?
Higher lift does not necessarily mean "more travel". Your overall travel is the same but depending on how you are wheeling, I found that riding with the ride height around 2-2.5" to be the sweet spot. Sets you up around 50% up travel and 50% down travel. You can reach out to other shops and see what they say too

Upvote 0
Higher lift does not necessarily mean "more travel". Your overall travel is the same but depending on how you are wheeling, I found that riding with the ride height around 2-2.5" to be the sweet spot. Sets you up around 50% up travel and 50% down travel. You can reach out to other shops and see what they say too
Many people dont undrestand this, I wish I could show how many people have asked my why I ride so low or why im running a top of the line lift with only 2.25" inches of lift.
I always tell them downtravel and they usually shut up after that because they have no idea what i just said lol.

Upvote 0
Many people dont undrestand this, I wish I could show how many people have asked my why I ride so low or why im running a top of the line lift with only 2.25" inches of lift.
I always tell them downtravel and they usually shut up after that because they have no idea what i just said lol.

I did understand that downtravel was important and that it was needed, but dont the "extended" variants regain the shock travel lost when lifting the vehicle?

For example: https://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-...with-compression-adjuster-ibp-33001-209a.html

Upvote 0
I did understand that downtravel was important and that it was needed, but dont the "extended" variants regain the shock travel lost when lifting the vehicle?

For example: https://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-...with-compression-adjuster-ibp-33001-209a.html
Yes but no, you can only get so much down travel with stock length arms, no matter what brand, they usually all have the same or a very close extended thength, any longer and youl run into UCAs hitting the coils. So at a 3" lift youll have about and 1.75" of down travel which is good for street driving but can get sketchy during high speed offroad.

@New Holland Overland could you provide measurments on droop?

I currently get right around 2.5" of down travel.

Upvote 0
Yes but no, you can only get so much down travel with stock length arms, no matter what brand, they usually all have the same or a very close extended thength, any longer and youl run into UCAs hitting the coils. So at a 3" lift youll have about and 1.75" of down travel which is good for street driving but can get sketchy during high speed offroad.

@New Holland Overland could you provide measurments on droop?

I currently get right around 2.5" of down travel.
I get 4.5" up travel and 4.5" down travel with my setup (Kings set at 2.25" of lift)

Upvote 0
I get 4.5" up travel and 4.5" down travel with my setup (Kings set at 2.25" of lift)

Alright, yeah that seems about perfect even with the 3" height. When you talk about harshness versus 2.5, do you just mean the truck will be too stiff or is it a damping related harshness?

I noticed you have limit straps- How often do you use those puppies? Haha. Looks like you hit it pretty hard.

thats awesome! whats the extended lenghth on those kings

Agreed!

Upvote 0
Alright, yeah that seems about perfect even with the 3" height. When you talk about harshness versus 2.5, do you just mean the truck will be too stiff or is it a damping related harshness?

I noticed you have limit straps- How often do you use those puppies? Haha. Looks like you hit it pretty hard.

Agreed!
For example: If you barely have any down-travel then a pot-hole is gonna feel massive since its gonna pull the truck down with it instead of soaking it up in the suspension.

Im always running the truck hard, one of the few that really push a mid-travel setup like a LT setup. She sees liftoff quite often and has some pretty intense G-outs. Jumping she does great at, right now were working on the valving of the shocks to handle whoops sections and some higher-speed driving a bit better.

I attached some older photos of the suspension setup but it hasnt changed much. rear has limit straps now, working on getting some 3.0 12" shocks in the rear soon. Frame is all boxed, trussed axle, lots of gussets everywhere. Hopefully working with All Pro to upgrade the steering system soon so we can run 35's or potentially 37's next year plus some other goodies.

The extended travel Kings are just the normal OEM EXT king shocks.

Attachments

• JKP_5737.jpg
    JKP_5737.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 66
  • JKP_1679.jpg
    JKP_1679.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-7550.jpg
    IMG-7550.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 85
  • suspension setup.jpg
    suspension setup.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
For example: If you barely have any down-travel then a pot-hole is gonna feel massive since its gonna pull the truck down with it instead of soaking it up in the suspension.

Im always running the truck hard, one of the few that really push a mid-travel setup like a LT setup. She sees liftoff quite often and has some pretty intense G-outs. Jumping she does great at, right now were working on the valving of the shocks to handle whoops sections and some higher-speed driving a bit better.

I attached some older photos of the suspension setup but it hasnt changed much. rear has limit straps now, working on getting some 3.0 12" shocks in the rear soon. Frame is all boxed, trussed axle, lots of gussets everywhere. Hopefully working with All Pro to upgrade the steering system soon so we can run 35's or potentially 37's next year plus some other goodies.

The extended travel Kings are just the normal OEM EXT king shocks.

Great info- Wish I could see it in person! I'm planning on going King 3.0's all around as I've read they give the best performance at high speed off road but also provide a good amount of cushion for a smoother ride on the street. The truck sees mostly trails and dunes but there's still a significant amount of highway in between all those places. Definitely cant wait.

Upvote 0
Great info- Wish I could see it in person! I'm planning on going King 3.0's all around as I've read they give the best performance at high speed off road but also provide a good amount of cushion for a smoother ride on the street. The truck sees mostly trails and dunes but there's still a significant amount of highway in between all those places. Definitely cant wait.
When I go to LT in the front Ill be stuffing 3.0's as well. For how heavy our trucks get when kitted out (6700+) I personally think the larger shocks do better. Especially when combined with a secondary bypass up front.

Well...sorry this thread was hi-jacked. If you guys have more questions about my setup you can message me

Upvote 0
Back