• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Coyoza Tune Development and Feedback

mZiggy

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Manual
Cement
Coyoza Tuning has been acquired by @chanvchau / CVC Tuning.

Christian and I want to say that the Coyoza partnership could not have been successful without the help of the outstanding local support in El Paso, and eventually the support of the larger 3GT and tuning community, and we are very grateful

We are also very proud of the Coyoza custom tune for the 3GT 6MT and are very happy to see so many happy Tacoma owners on that tune. The Coyoza MT tune is not going away. CVC intends to still offer it under the Coyoza name and brand, and expand upon it as more 3GT ECU versions become available. So don't worry, that custom tune will still be available to customers. But I will let CVC expand more on that if they want.

I imagine they will start their own thread to post info as necessary, but this thread will remain active for reviews, feedback, inquiries, etc. The Facebook page will also remain active for support/inquiries. However, I will no longer provide information regarding pricing for the tune or things like that, because I am no longer the provider of the Coyoza tune.
*Local flash services still available directly from Christian and I in El Paso, but that's a separate topic, independent of this acquisition of Coyoza by CVC.

Moving forward, Chan Chan / CVC Tuning is the owner and distributor of the Coyoza custom tune for the MT. Please reach out to them via their various contact methods or via the Coyoza_Tuning Facebook page to obtain the tune, set up partnership agreements, questions, etc. Chan/CVC is the rightful recipient of royalty payments for flashing the tune. Prices for obtaining the tune and providing royalty payments are subject to CVC's established policies, please confirm them with Chan Chan.

Thank you so much for all the help, encouragement, and support you all have given us.

Last edited:
Feel free to comment or reach out to me or to the Coyoza pages with any questions, comments, etc

What are the numbers/performance differences between your Coyoza tune and the ovtune? How and what makes it better? What about compared to the KDMax tune?
We have not yet dyno'd the tune because we did not purposely target power when developing this tune.

That being said, SubarutheTacoma (TacomaWorld handle, idk if he's on T3G as well) on behalf of STT Tune Shop...

(www.StTTuneShop.com)

...is looking to offer all of the major custom 3GT tunes as a one stop shop option and will be dyno-ing all of them, including Coyoza. He's aiming for roughly the end of this month if everything goes to plan and will be doing a thorough comparison.

The performance differences are related to the changes described in the various postings, both in the OP for this thread and on our pages.

Customers experience significantly smoother acceleration and shifting, so much so that they sometimes hardly feel the truck shift, more sporty throttle response that remains predictable and modulatable (this is important to retain for both daily driving and off-roading), and even increased fuel economy. Shift points have been adjusted appropriately to make better use of the powerband while still being excellent for both daily driving and sportier driving scenarios. ECT mode can be used for a more performance oriented experience but is intended to be used as a tow mode too.

We've had a number of customers who were previously KD tuned (either KDtune or KDMax) who switched to Coyoza and preferred the Coyoza tune.

Our tune is better suited for the daily driver and off-roader, even for heavy trucks. It could be argued that KD would be best suited to mall-crawlers is what I've been told by some, due to the throttle being more sensitive, which by comparison makes Coyoza particularly more usable when in 4lo for example. This is not to say however that the throttle is numb, not by any means. KDMax simply has a much more aggressive throttle sensitivity from what I understand.

If you look at the KD tune dyno chart, it does indeed have more power and I truly do applaud them for it, but it's been reallocated higher up in the power band compared to OVTune, and in my opinion its down low is where the power is still truly needed. So in theory and practice, this puts the majority of the heavy lifting on edits to things like throttle response to mimic what would be called "power". The butt-dyno is the most inaccurate dyno out there after all. I don't know what KD has done for their tune to produce their results, so I would like to not speculate further, but I do know that Coyoza did not mess with tables that would affect power in such a way. Our goal was to create a significantly more refined alternative to OVTune and we have had great success with that. We also noted a post by OVTune on TacomaWorld which we took to mean that chasing more power from the Tacoma would not be worth it and could affect longevity. See below:

Screenshot_20210416-093328.png

I obviously won't know until I have a dyno sheet in front of me but I suspect our power curve will be nearly identical to OVTune, or it'll at least be a good bit smoother, and personally that's something I care more about than power for the sake of power.

Last edited:
We have not yet dyno'd the tune because we did not purposely target power when developing this tune.

That being said, SubarutheTacoma (TacomaWorld handle, idk if he's on T3G as well) on behalf of STT Tune Shop...

(www.StTTuneShop.com)

...is looking to offer all of the major custom 3GT tunes as a one stop shop option and will be dyno-ing all of them, including Coyoza. He's aiming for roughly the end of this month if everything goes to plan and will be doing a thorough comparison.

The performance differences are related to the changes described in the various postings, both in the OP for this thread and on our pages.

Customers experience significantly smoother acceleration and shifting, so much so that they sometimes hardly feel the truck shift, more sporty throttle response that remains predictable and modulatable (this is important to retain for both daily driving and off-roading), and even increased fuel economy. Shift points have been adjusted appropriately to make better use of the powerband while still being excellent for both daily driving and sportier driving scenarios. ECT mode can be used for a more performance oriented experience but is intended to be used as a tow mode too.

We've had a number of customers who were previously KD tuned (either KDtune or KDMax) who switched to Coyoza and preferred the Coyoza tune.

Our tune is better suited for the daily driver and off-roader, even for heavy trucks. It could be argued that KD would be best suited to mall-crawlers is what I've been told by some, due to the throttle being less sensitive, which makes it particularly more usable when in 4lo for example. This is not to say however that the throttle is numb, not by any means.

If you look at the KD tune dyno chart, it does indeed have more power and I truly do applaud them for it, but it's been reallocated higher up in the power band compared to OVTune, and in my opinion its down low is where the power is still truly needed. So in theory and practice, this puts the majority of the heavy lifting on edits to things like throttle response to mimic what would be called "power". The butt-dyno is the most inaccurate dyno out there after all. I don't know what KD has done for their tune to produce their results, so I would like to not speculate further, but I do know that Coyoza did not mess with tables that would affect power in such a way. Our goal was to create a significantly more refined alternative to OVTune and we have had great success with that. We also noted a post by OVTune on TacomaWorld which we took to mean that chasing more power from the Tacoma would not be worth it and could affect longevity. See below:

Screenshot_20210416-093328.png

I obviously won't know until I have a dyno sheet in front of me but I suspect our power curve will be nearly identical to OVTune, or it'll at least be a good bit smoother, and personally that's something I care more about than power for the sake of power.
Interesting...I just tuned my truck to the KDmax and love it, it was a night and day difference from the Ovtune 2.0 setup, its great for daily driving and as a heavy truck (personal opinion). I havent ever heard of your tune so I was curious.

Good luck with the tunes! Excited to see some numbers posted once things have been dyno'd and figured out.

Interesting...I just tuned my truck to the KDmax and love it, it was a night and day difference from the Ovtune 2.0 setup, its great for daily driving and as a heavy truck (personal opinion). I havent ever heard of your tune so I was curious.

Good luck with the tunes! Excited to see some numbers posted once things have been dyno'd and figured out.
Everyone certainly has various preferences and opinions on how their truck should drive and what works for them, no tune out there will be 100% perfect for 100% of all trucks. I know KDMax keeps plenty of people happy. But competition never hurt anyone, and more options for people is a benefit to the community.

Corrected some typos in my post where I was initially replying to you @New Holland Overland regarding talking about KD vs Coyoza throttle sensitivity. Looked back at it and realized I'd typed out a couple things backwards. Lol

Can it be done remotely or is it an in house operation?

Can it be done remotely or is it an in house operation?
Either or.

Per our posts, we either provide it via flash services or we'll sell it remotely as a locked file. You would then be able to flash it yourself or you could find someone with vFTuner to flash it for you. If you elect to do the latter, I only recommend that you ask that person to show you that they're loading the correct file to flash, because while I'm not saying it happens a lot, there are some shady people out there. There's even been reports of people charging for flash services and then flashing stock maps.

This goes for any flash service you're having done, even if it's a different custom tune. Just make sure they're flashing what's been agreed upon. Personally I go out of my way to keep every customer feeling well informed, showing what file I'm flashing and explaining what the file names mean, demonstrating ECU version before and after TSB update, etc.

Sorry tune newb here. I’d like to tune my truck but I’m wondering about getting all my intake and exhaust bolt on’s complete. Or does it matter. Can I add bolt ons after the tune and still be maximizing the tune or would adjustments need to be made?

Sorry tune newb here. I’d like to tune my truck but I’m wondering about getting all my intake and exhaust bolt on’s complete. Or does it matter. Can I add bolt ons after the tune and still be maximizing the tune or would adjustments need to be made?
You'd be fine. It's common to get tuned and do bolt ons with no tune change and no negative results, or vice versa

I tried kdmax tune for 1,000 ish miles great power but gas guzzler . I've tried moosedittys17 tune which had great power also but I have found that termlimits with his "valley runner" tune my truck is running the best it has ever ran. The last two names I dropped are on tw. Valley runner has held gears the best for me , like today I was getting almost 22.5 mpg on my way home . I'm running 285/75/16 km3's and stick gears

Valley runner is by far the best power curve I've found also . I live at sea level so my truck is producing the max HP it can on termlimits tune. Again also in in premium gas

I tried kdmax tune for 1,000 ish miles great power but gas guzzler . I've tried moosedittys17 tune which had great power also but I have found that termlimits with his "valley runner" tune my truck is running the best it has ever ran. The last two names I dropped are on tw. Valley runner has held gears the best for me , like today I was getting almost 22.5 mpg on my way home . I'm running 285/75/16 km3's and stick gears

Valley runner is by far the best power curve I've found also . I live at sea level so my truck is producing the max HP it can on termlimits tune. Again also in in premium gas
If you try Coyoza tune, you'd certainly be uniquely qualified to give a thorough review comparing all 4 tunes.

KDMax simply has a much more aggressive throttle sensitivity from what I understand.
They do have different throttle response files. I was talking to @SubaruTheTacoma quite a bit and decided to try it. I have 0 complaints about it, but I'm not really working with enough of a comparison.

Very excited to see some comparison experiments between these. Would be really useful to see where the power is more available at in some of the different tunes. I don't care about what has more power. I would rather have it more ready to go in mid/upper range as a mostly highway driver, but it would be cool to tune it for lower bands if I plan on doing more offroading. I don't really know how viable this is, but I do know that tuning these trucks is painfully easy and quick (executing tunes, not talking about writing them here), so more just thinking out loud.

They do have different throttle response files. I was talking to @SubaruTheTacoma quite a bit and decided to try it. I have 0 complaints about it, but I'm not really working with enough of a comparison.

Very excited to see some comparison experiments between these. Would be really useful to see where the power is more available at in some of the different tunes. I don't care about what has more power. I would rather have it more ready to go in mid/upper range as a mostly highway driver, but it would be cool to tune it for lower bands if I plan on doing more offroading. I don't really know how viable this is, but I do know that tuning these trucks is painfully easy and quick (executing tunes, not talking about writing them here), so more just thinking out loud.
Executing a flash is very quick, yes. This is because it has what's referred to as a gen2 ecu. For comparison, a 4runner has a Gen1 ECU and it makes you wait a certain amount of time between flashes. TSB ECU updates count against that flash timer.

@SubaruTheTacoma was I think tentatively anticipating Coyoza being the tune that is more applicable to daily drivers who also off-road their trucks, which I think begins to establish good precedent for each tune with their various strengths and weaknesses having their niche and appropriate place since everyone has a different opinion about how their truck should drive.

I'm aware they have different files with different sensitivities, just that from what I've seen they seem to flash the most aggressive ones though. In general. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm aware they have different files with different sensitivities, just that from what I've seen they seem to flash the most aggressive ones though. In general. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, I have no idea there. That's why Subaru was helpful. He mentioned just to do the Light one, so I imagine they like the aggressive ones. Which I can't imagine are good for DDs, I never even had interest to try it

Oh, I have no idea there. That's why Subaru was helpful. He mentioned just to do the Light one, so I imagine they like the aggressive ones. Which I can't imagine are good for DDs, I never even had interest to try it
@SubaruTheTacoma comes off as a sensible person to me.

I understand why the much more aggressive tunes are appealing, but not for the long term in my opinion.

Again, just my opinion. I won't deny that KD tunes seem to make a large percentage of 3GT owners very happy.

Update, not a response to the current discussion we've been having, just posting for the benefit of anyone viewing the thread.

Review of Coyoza 1.3, posted in the 3GT Facebook page:

Original link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=158087056262792&id=100061844941398

Gave 4lo a good bit of attention after it was established that the tune was using the same throttle sensitivity tables for hi and lo range modes and the initial Coyoza tune ended up leaving 4lo nearly unusable due to the aggressiveness of the throttle, as well as holding gears too long it seemed, probably also due to the edited shift schedules for 2/4hi.

Now Coyoza 1.3 is something ideal for daily driving with its more aggressive throttle, extremely smooth acceleration and shifting, while retaining behavior appropriate for off-roading.

Screenshot_20210514-071956.png

Screenshot_20210514-072010.png

Screenshot_20210514-072024.png

I'm assuming the Facebook link doesn't display in there since it's a post from a private group, the '3GT - 3rd Generation Tacoma' group page.

1st post has an update regarding individuals who can flash Coyoza custom tunes.

Receiving a tune from remains subject to their pricing, policies, and at their discretion.

Back