• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Confessions of a Tacomaholic

406Camper

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
As many of you know from my build thread (The time has come for the 406 Camper build thread (https://tacoma3g.com/threads/the-time-has-come-for-the-406-camper-build-thread.12874/)), I purchased my 2017 Tacoma TRD OR AC about three years ago from the stealership where it was a parts truck with only 18,000 miles. I am fortunate to be able to drive and experience a lot of off road vehicles through my work, and have had exposure to all generation Taco's in extreme environments. I have to admit, initially I was disappointed in my 3rg Gen Taco. I had originally wanted a manual, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price. The stock tires were terrible even almost new, transmission surges were common and almost dangerous, seats were very uncomfortable making road trips unbearable, Rear dif lock didn't work timely, suspension was very squeaky, and engaging 4L was glitchy at best.
After about a year of mods, a few tweaks, and Toyota Service Bulletin updates/flashed ECU, I am happy to report my rig is perfectly dialed in. This was evident on my recent trip to Moab (2000 miles on the road and 300 miles on rough trails). This thing is a BEAST! So hang in there if you have recently purchased a 3G Taco. Take your time to understand the truck and make minor changes to suite your style.
My best advice is use your truck. Put it in 4L at least once a month and engage the rear dif (if you have one) on a dirt road to get the juices flowing as the service manual recommends. The more you use it the better it responds. I no longer have any delay engaging the rear dif lock. The added weight of the mods has drastically improved the off road handling (albeit sacrificing a few MPG's).
I love my Taco.

Mark
406 Camper

Attachments

• TOW Waterfall Down Distance.jpg
    TOW Waterfall Down Distance.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 38
  • TOW Waterfall Down.jpg
    TOW Waterfall Down.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 47
So hang in there if you have recently purchased a 3G Taco. Take your time to understand the truck and make minor changes to suite your style.
Absolutely.

I know there is bias coming from me (a person who made a website about the truck), but I do believe the common gripes with these trucks can be dialed over time. I definitely grew to love mine more as the years have gone by because I've been able to use it in many different "forms" by now.

My best advice is use your truck.
The more you use it the better it responds.
This!

I never drove mine gently on the road/highway. I did what break-in said I should, but then I gave the engine hell and still do. Highway on-ramp? Nearly red-lining between gears to make my merge safer. Steep grade on a highway? Use 3rd gear and bomb right up it. Off-roading? Go crazy. I'm sure it's a placebo effect but it feels like my engine is more "broken in" than if it was driven gently the whole time. I also feel like it keeps the engine cleaner because the extra heat/pressure helps remove build-up on the block.

(Disclaimer: I don't drive like an asshole; that type of driving is not what I'm talking about).

This thing is a BEAST!
It really is though. With OVTune or any ECU flash, the power is where it should be. Then, if you have a factory rear locker or add rear/front lockers, you can drive through/over almost anything, even if otherwise stock. I did a lot of wild stuff when my truck was still mostly stock.

Put it in 4L at least once a month and engage the rear dif (if you have one) on a dirt road to get the juices flowing as the service manual recommends.
Yes. You can also use 4H under 55mph on a straight paved road to get juices flowing if you don't otherwise use 4wd frequently.

Glad your mention to engage the rear diff lock monthly. I am in 4wheel mode daily, due to living on a coffee on a hill side with lots of dirt roads. So engaging my 4wheel drive is no problem.

Never did use my rear locker except maybe two times to try it out.

Now I know I need do this “monthly”. “ Thank you for sharing this , engage ping the rear locker!
Aloha

Back