• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Coils for 5100?

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
Been trying to ask on TW but that's full of 2nd gen so the answers aren't accurate. Currently run 5100 with 888, lift is not what I expected. Been going back and forth on how to bump it up a tad. What are my options for more lift? Can I run 886 or some other coil? Should I get new shocks and coils like the 86 with nitro chargers? Eibach make a 650 coil for 5100? Can I or should I attempt to remove the coil and bump the 5100 up to the first notch, I would be doing this the LCA method if that would even work.

I've been searching with not much luck. I also tried to drop a spacer on top of the coil/strut but I think that gave me tooo much lift now...which leads me to ask how do you know if ur lift is too much? It looks nice and level on flat ground but I believe when full droop the UCA ball joint hits the coil and I think the droop is so far down that the CV joints are flexed too much to where I cannot freely rotate the wheel?! Would these be signs of too much lifts and remove the spacers and drop back down?

All in all I just put 33s 285/75/16s on the truck and they rubbed a tad at first, trimmed a bit of plastic (already had cmc done), re aligned to bump caster to 3. But they still rubbed at lock and stuff so wanted to try and add 1/2"-1" lift extra to clear.

Thanks

Okay, I think I can help you because I was in the same boat last year.

I started with the standard OME 887 coils attached to some 5100s set on the second to highest notch (.85). It wasn't bad, but like you, I wanted more height in the front, especially since my rear was sitting pretty decently at like 4" lift.

I highly suggest you ditch the basic 5100 setup and go with an adjustable coilover from Icon, King, even Bilstein, etc. These allow you to literally adjust the height before and after you install them. You'll be able to adjust them to be way higher than you even need, which to an extent will start to screw with geometry and is obviously not recommended. But you will be able to run the height you're looking for here, for sure. Yes, your CV angle might be a little steeper, but I think you'll be fine. Mine are a bit steep compared to most trucks (you can see it in my avatar) but I have thousands of road miles and thousands of abusive off-road miles like this and I have never had a problem. No vibrations, nothing. Again, too much and you would start to see some issues. Also, this would require aftermarket UCAs.

If you have the notorious Taco lean (driver side is a little lower than passenger side), you can also fix it by adding a few extra turns to the driver side when you set your desired height.

There's one more benefit to spending some extra money for adjustable coilovers: They will generally ride better than 5100s as you're almost certainly getting a nicer shock than the 5100s. If you want to spend even more, you can get a remote reservoir version which will offer even more adjustments for your ride. I don't have those in the front though -- I don't need them.

Lastly, if you think you're ever gonna run a heavy steel bumper or a winch, now is the time to grab a heavier duty coil to account for that. I have 700lbs coils which are an upgrade from the usual 650lbs rating.

Awesome thanks for the detailed reply, that's what I've been looking at as well but, if I wasn't made of money and didn't want to buy coilovers just yet, and stick with the 5100s for now what would be the cheapest, most logical solution?

And as far as thinking I have too much lift now, here are some cv pics, what other potential problems could you look for to see if you have too much lift?

1.jpg
2.jpg

Looking at the photos, your angles are not bad at all. Mine are steeper than that and like I said they've been fine. If you are still really concerned about that, a diff drop will help with it. A diff drop is inexpensive and easy to install -- it's basically just a spacer. The only thing with doing that is while your truck will look higher, your diff will basically be where it is now, which means you aren't gaining any clearance it that area of the drivetrain. But that won't be an issue if you aren't looking to absolutely maximize your off-road capability.

To save money and not buy coilovers, I don't suggest moving your 5100s to the highest notch. I wanted to do that when I had mine but I was told not to by HeadStrong Offroad because according to them, it can cause issues.

If you just want some extra height for cheap and not necessarily an upgrade in your setup, you could replace your coils with heavier duty coils and reuse the 5100s, which push the front up as a result. Or you could add a spacer kit above the coils which will also give you the extra height but not improve ride quality or anything else. The spacer option would be the cheapest.

You asked about buying different shocks. Buying different shocks and using them with the coils you have now won't change the height, it'll only improve your ride quality (if you buy nicer ones). So don't do that if you want more height.

1575903416661.png

Ignore the insane wheel caster in this photo (it was like this for a reason, I didn't drive it with this caster, and I fixed it the next day). I definitely do not recommend running a CV angle like this to anyone, but I did it for a long time on and off-road and I didn't break anything. It isn't like this anymore because the weight of my front bumper brought it down a bit and now it's at a much more stable angle. But my point in showing you this photo is that you do have room to go up without risk of messing stuff up. Again, if you ever end up this steep, go back down a bit or do a diff drop.

Hmmm ok ok, would the 886 be the stiffer coil choice to pair with the 5100s, or a different coil?

OME 886: 402mm in height 660 pound spring rate
OME 887: 400mm in height 590 pound spring rate
OME 888: 405 mm in height 590 pound spring rate

Because you have the 888 now and the 886 has a stronger rate but is a little shorter than your 888s, I honestly don't know what the difference would be for you. I would imagine the 886 might result in more height.

OME 886: 402mm in height 660 pound spring rate
OME 887: 400mm in height 590 pound spring rate
OME 888: 405 mm in height 590 pound spring rate

Because you have the 888 now and the 886 has a stronger rate but is a little shorter than your 888s, I honestly don't know what the difference would be for you. I would imagine the 886 might result in more height.
To be really sure about this, I think you should ask HeadStrong here: https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/contact-info.html

awesome ok, right now I'm gonna leave as is and see how it goes, otherwise I think I will either bump the 888 up to the first notch as I'm still on the bottom notch or get 886.

I'll post more pics of my truck, side shots etc when I get home of home it currently sits as well.

It'd be nice is anybody else with 33s has pics of their trucks, side shots and cv shots to compare or even measurements. I feel I may have a large gap from the top on wheel to bottom of fender, wonder what the typical 33" tire with 2-3" lift wheel gap looks like.

Here how she sits

Attachments

• 4084C8F3-881C-4413-B7A8-A265CA28EA90.jpeg
    4084C8F3-881C-4413-B7A8-A265CA28EA90.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 45E22404-AF95-4E50-A273-C55B79E53AD9.jpeg
    45E22404-AF95-4E50-A273-C55B79E53AD9.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 8C8F47F0-1F83-4BDC-9EE1-8C51647DD9DA.jpeg
    8C8F47F0-1F83-4BDC-9EE1-8C51647DD9DA.jpeg
    646.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 1879AFC8-DD15-4C5F-911E-A1898CC422C7.jpeg
    1879AFC8-DD15-4C5F-911E-A1898CC422C7.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 240
I'm currently running into a similar issue. I'm currently on 5100s with the stock coils (I did this because I knew id be updating my springs soon but didnt know which ones to go with) I currently have a bruteforce hybrid bumper on order and 4-6 weeks out so nows the time. Ive contacted Headstrong (where I bought my 5100s) they adviced me not to go with 886 because the 5100s are not rated for them and can cause damage. They suggest 888 but that they were softer and with a bumper I may only get 2" of lift if im lucky.

I'm currently running into a similar issue. I'm currently on 5100s with the stock coils (I did this because I knew id be updating my springs soon but didnt know which ones to go with) I currently have a bruteforce hybrid bumper on order and 4-6 weeks out so nows the time. Ive contacted Headstrong (where I bought my 5100s) they adviced me not to go with 886 because the 5100s are not rated for them and can cause damage. They suggest 888 but that they were softer and with a bumper I may only get 2" of lift if im lucky.

Yeah dude my 888 got me like 1.75” no bumper or winch, coils seemed super compressed and are squishy which isn’t bad but it just feels like there is too much weight on them.

These are your before photos, correct?

That’s how it is currently with 888 and spacers on top...that looks nice as the back sits level with the front but it feels too high and with the spacers on top at full droop the uca ball joint hits coils plus cv angles

That’s how it is currently with 888 and spacers on top...that looks nice as the back sits level with the front but it feels too high and with the spacers on top at full droop the uca ball joint hits coils plus cv angles
What size spacers are on the front with the 5100s?
Did you lift the rear?

What size spacers are on the front with the 5100s?
Did you lift the rear?

Those pics and how I had it for a few weeks was a 1” spacer driver 1/2” passenger on top of the 888/5100s, this was too much lift tho.

The rear has remained the same since initial lift install, 5100s and HS 3 AAL.

Here how she sits
So the photos shown are with the 5100's and 888? I like the way it sits and looking at options for my 2020 Off Road. Wont be doing any heavy off roading, mostly a daily driver and some trail rides.

So the photos shown are with the 5100's and 888? I like the way it sits and looking at options for my 2020 Off Road. Wont be doing any heavy off roading, mostly a daily driver and some trail rides.
Looks like 5100/888/HS 1.5" AAL from the posts.
1" Spacer Driver Front
1/2" Spacer Passenger Front

Back