• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

CMC Cab Mount Chop for tire clearance

Aven2rus

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Reaction score
2021 SR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Hardest part was convincing myself into cutting up the new truck.

I used BAMF CMC Plates and traced the shape onto the mount. I did not cut the liner as they show on the link. There a number of people making these but can only speak for BAMF telling you the fit was perfect and at only $16 is likely the cheapest mod I will ever do. Be sure to review thier link as well before attempting.

All work was completed with a 4.5" grinder using cutting wheels, then grinding to a precise fit. Note in image the inner cut is about twice the metal thickness. I went this direction to assure it was deep enough and not have to go back and do it again. This provided slight step rather than flush, even a bit of daylight at the base and was closed with the welding bead. Painted inside the mount as well and cleaned the welding surfaces.

I tied the Fender liner back out of the way during the entire process rather than cut it and then heated and formed the raised areas flush with mount when reattached.
Resized_20201211_160818(4).jpeg

I picked up a fresh tank for my Mig rather than run flux wire to assure a good clean weld. After tacking in 3 locations I ran weld along the top and bottom.

Be sure break it up into sections and to let each weld cool before doing another run so not to overheat and damage the bushing. cool

Then following their instructions hammered back the end, secured it with a large C-Clamp, Tacked the end and finished the welding.
Resized_20201211_161333(1).jpeg

I sanded of some areas of the weld to get it closer to the way it looked from the start and also to remove the scale new metal has to better hold paint. Followed up with spraying paint in through the bottom cavities to assure a proper coating on the inside as well. Refastened the liner and heated it flatten out the raised areas with a heat gun.

Resized_20201211_153141(6) (1).jpeg

It's on my list of to do's before I wear out my stock tires. Nice write up, nice finished product.

Thanks! Working on moving some info from my build thread and polishing up the content so it is easy to find in a search for those seeking these modifications. Need to get better at taking pic's when working. With so much on the shelf I get focused more on getting it done.

nice job. ill be doing the same. but not till next year. always good to see how others are doing this CMC. I have a TIG so im gonna go that route instead of mig.

Back