• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Clutch slipping / Regear needed?

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So it seems for a while my truck has had trouble shifting gears at random times where it’ll basically studder for like 5 seconds and keep re-accelerating until it finally goes into gear.

Today it did it pretty bad, worse than ever before, for like 10 seconds. To the point where I was worried it was about to just throw the transmission out or something.

I have a 6” with 35s and no regear. I’m sure I need a regear.
My question is, will a Nitro regear kit come with a new clutch? Or would I need to buy that separately?

Re-gear and clutch replacement are two different issues.
Right, I realized that after I looked into what comes with the Nitro gear kit. Made me feel dumb for even asking.
Do you know if there’s a certain aftermarket clutch kit that works best with big lifts and tires for Tacomas?

Upvote 0
We all start dumb and only gain knowledge by asking and looking.

Feel dumb...you earned that one. But don't feel too dumb 🧐😳😂

Upvote 0
Right, I realized that after I looked into what comes with the Nitro gear kit. Made me feel dumb for even asking.
Do you know if there’s a certain aftermarket clutch kit that works best with big lifts and tires for Tacomas?
Might also look at driveshsft angle of attack -- from research, going over 3in starts putting extra stress on the driveshaft components.

Update:
Here's a good thread on the topic:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@geekspeed yeah I’ve seen the episode on TacomaBeast where they get the Tom Woods drive shaft installed. I feel like that is another problem because I feel the truck vibrating/jumping all the time.

It’s almost like the feeling of your tires making you bounce but you know it’s not that because they’ve been rotated and balanced so many times.

Upvote 0
@geekspeed yeah I’ve seen the episode on TacomaBeast where they get the Tom Woods drive shaft installed. I feel like that is another problem because I feel the truck vibrating/jumping all the time.

It’s almost like the feeling of your tires making you bounce but you know it’s not that because they’ve been rotated and balanced so many times.
Sway bar links? Definitely should get a regear though...6in is pretty tall and 35s are a bit heavy...

Upvote 0
Definitely need a re-gear.

Sounds like you have an automatic. Which means no clutch, but between the gearing and your speedometer being off I wouldn't be surprised if that's causing shift issues.

I don't believe that an imbalanced drive shaft could feel like bouncy tires unless it's literally about to come off. Usually it's a whole vehicle drone that pulses and gets worse and worse over time.

Maybe look into other front end issues. 6" is a lot. Are the front tires wearing unevenly?

-M

Upvote 0
Definitely need a re-gear.

Sounds like you have an automatic. Which means no clutch, but between the gearing and your speedometer being off I wouldn't be surprised if that's causing shift issues.

I don't believe that an imbalanced drive shaft could feel like bouncy tires unless it's literally about to come off. Usually it's a whole vehicle drone that pulses and gets worse and worse over time.

Maybe look into other front end issues. 6" is a lot. Are the front tires wearing unevenly?

-M
Of course I have front end issues. The truck is constantly pulling to the right, even with it being fully aligned.

And I’m not sure about the tires wearing unevenly but im sure they probably are since it’s pulling to the right so bad.

Also, if you watch TacomaBeasts episode about getting the Tom Woods drive shaft, he talks about the vibrations from the drive shaft. It’s not how it would be if the drive shaft was going out, like what you’re referring to, but it’s just a subtle vibrating when holding the accelerator at a certain speed.

Like you can feel the tires bouncing and feel the drive shaft as well, and can clearly tell them apart, because the drive shaft you can feel, almost as if the transmission is sputtering.

Idk, maybe it’s my transmission, but it’s been doing it since I got the truck at 23k.

Upvote 0
Of course I have front end issues. The truck is constantly pulling to the right, even with it being fully aligned.

And I’m not sure about the tires wearing unevenly but im sure they probably are since it’s pulling to the right so bad.

Also, if you watch TacomaBeasts episode about getting the Tom Woods drive shaft, he talks about the vibrations from the drive shaft. It’s not how it would be if the drive shaft was going out, like what you’re referring to, but it’s just a subtle vibrating when holding the accelerator at a certain speed.

Like you can feel the tires bouncing and feel the drive shaft as well, and can clearly tell them apart, because the drive shaft you can feel, almost as if the transmission is sputtering.

Idk, maybe it’s my transmission, but it’s been doing it since I got the truck at 23k.
That’s why I was asking about the ‘clutch’ because it makes some sort of rattling noise around 20-35, in between 1st and 2nd gear and it sounds like a lifter is going out or something.

Cause it sounds like it’s coming from directly under the drivers seat, and when I had the code ran it said it was the power train so idk. Could be anything from the engine to the trans.

Upvote 0
I can tell you that my 2.5 inch lift from ARB came with a drive shaft idler spacer so if yours did not, then that could be a huge problem. And you could get a full length drive shaft, but that will cost more than the entire pro comp lift and won't solve all the problems that's caused.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to just get an idler spacer then?

And I believe that a new Pro Comp would be around 2k but a drive shaft would only be around 1k? Idk, I’m probably wrong about the pricing.

Upvote 0
Seems like your truck has a lot of issues that are going to be really hard to diagnose on a forum. If it were me I'd find a good local shop and take it in for inspection.

Upvote 0
Back