• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Cascades Hood mount solar panels…

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Has anyone install the Canadian made Cascadia VSS hood mounted 85 watt solar panels….?
These are not for hood scoop truck hoods….but I seen others where it can be split into two sections …rectangle shape …
If you had a dead battery next morning…let the sun charge the panels for about 30 minutes…it has a emergency booster?…
Let us know what you think?
Aloha

I was really into the idea. But then, a solar panel really is only useful if you are going to be stationary on one place for days running power and not driving anywhere. If you're moving every day, then the alternator will charge the battery. If you're worried about dead batteries, an aux battery is a more useful way to go.

Haven't messed with the hood mount ones, but have had a single panel on my roof rack for years. It's charging my aux battery directly as that is the battery that my switch pros, fridge, and compressor is on. Even though roof placement (or hood) isn't always ideal, it's an easy way to keep the aux battery at least topped off, or keep the fridge running longer between vehicle restarts (y)

I have experience with them. Down side is mounted on the hood, they are prone to chips and damage from rocks and road debris. Better to go with a flexible Renogy on the roof if you don't need a rack. Or stow it and use it when parked by stringing it up with ropes or poles. It's super light weight.

I actually am gonna be installing mine in a couple days. But I have a dual battery kit so driving the alternator Will charge it then stationary this will top it off as well. I guess it’s just a redundancy thing for me

I wouldnt want to depend on that as an emergency booster. Knowing my luck it would be snowing. The micro-start batteries from Antigravity are pretty small, you could stash one under your seat. As far as panels go, they can be pretty sensitive to the angle of the sun, something removable is going to give you a better charge.

Back