• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pre-Purchase Question Campershell/hardtop or RSI Smartcap?

406Camper

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
Ok everyone. Thinking about buying a hardshell. I researched the forums and YouTube and basically my options are ARE, SnugTop, Leer (all around $3,000-$5,000) or RSI ($5,000+). There are pro's and con's for all of them. Main use is for camping on trail rides, tired of setting up a tent in the dark or taking it down early in the morning. Some con's with ARE are construction and leaking. I kind of like the MX. Some cons with Leer are design (I only like the XR100), and fitment (doesn't really look like it fits on the bed properly). Some con's with Snugtop Rebel are fit and finish, leaking, and complicated lock mechanism. And apparently, you can't even get them now with supply chain problems. Cons with RSI Smartcap, well $$$.
I don't plan on having a roof rack or tent on top.

Please provide your user experiences with any of them.

Mark

I had been running a Victory rack since I bought my truck. But I did find a used RSI Smartcap and have been quite happy with it. I'm not sure how it compares as far as weight with the other brands. It definitely added quite a bit of weight to the bed. I love the 3 side access of it and it fits great. One downside I can see if you plan on sleeping out of it would be the locks. You can't unlock them from the inside.
20220619_190653.jpg

SmartCap. Fiberglass are not "trail rated" but manufactuers spool up rating to sell them.
SmartCap are rugged off road made to do whatever you want to do. Pay now or pay later. Regardless get what you need not but looks cool.

I had been running a Victory rack since I bought my truck. But I did find a used RSI Smartcap and have been quite happy with it. I'm not sure how it compares as far as weight with the other brands. It definitely added quite a bit of weight to the bed. I love the 3 side access of it and it fits great. One downside I can see if you plan on sleeping out of it would be the locks. You can't unlock them from the inside.
20220619_190653.jpg
@Berserker__taco, Can you add a pop-a-lock and unlock it with your remote?
Otherwise, that wouldn't work. Major oversight if that is the case. Can you still get out but just can't lock it?

@Berserker__taco, Can you add a pop-a-lock and unlock it with your remote?
Otherwise, that wouldn't work. Major oversight if that is the case. Can you still get out but just can't lock it?
I'll take some photos of the locks for you when I get out of work. From what I can tell there is no way to operate them from the inside. Youd have to replace them all together if possible. That is the only drawback with this cap. Its durable as all hell and looks better than the fiberglass.

There is no way to function these locks from inside. Cant latch or unlatch. I'm not sure if there is a style that will allow function from both sides. If I find it I will let you know.
20220628_183055.jpg
20220628_183100.jpg
20220628_183112.jpg

I have a snug top GB Sport. Looks great, but it's very low profile and limited what I can get into it. No leaking issues. I really want a Smartcap because the doors are awesome.

-M

Attachments

• IMG_4634.jpeg
    IMG_4634.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 36
SmartCap is allegedly working on a solution but not holding breath on a solution. I personally dont need that option.

We've had the smart cap on the shop truck for a long time now, with countless camping trips with it. By far my favorite, especially being an all metal construction. I've seen the fiberglass ones crack out over time. Just my 2 cents! I'm a dealer by the way, there is a bit of a lead time though as they're changing manufacturing processes to get things moving more fluidly. Just an FYI.

When buying any camper top, Makes sure the front window can be remove for cleaning the outside window of the camper and Tacoma rear outside windows.

This is worth the extra cost. The space between the campers and rear truck windows can be tight.
My Leer camper inside front window, has two clips , unclip and window folds towards you.(inside camper), can be remove completely. You will be able to remove any debris fallen in between, So easy to clean both windows facing outside.

A MUST HAVE removable rear window! …unless you are planning to remove the camper top off or just to clean the windows. I did add a rear sliding glass to camper rear windows , have excess to front cab. I was able to carried long pieces of lumber inside camper to front dash.
08897CAE-237D-4635-B232-70BB464A20B7.jpeg

Good morning,

I hope you are well. The Dual Release latch has not been made available as yet but will be later this year. I still dont have a solid ETA or a cost for these. Your details are on my notification list and I will reach out as soon as I have all the details from up the flagpole.

We briefly discussed lubricating your locks with a bit of graphite based lubricant when we were working on the vent cover issue. Has the lubricant not resolved the issue? Im happy to send out a set of replacement locks and latch covers to you under warranty. Please send me some images of the faulty locks and I will get this going for you. The locks will be the same as the current ones in your cap.

Thank you.
---
Kind Regards
Lionel
Olivier
SMARTCAP

Forged in Africa. Made forPlanet Earth.

Senior Technician - RSiInternational

M: +27 (0)60 5876 124
T: +1 (682) 2948 371
RSiSmartCAP.com

Good morning,

I hope you are well. The Dual Release latch has not been made available as yet but will be later this year. I still dont have a solid ETA or a cost for these. Your details are on my notification list and I will reach out as soon as I have all the details from up the flagpole.

We briefly discussed lubricating your locks with a bit of graphite based lubricant when we were working on the vent cover issue. Has the lubricant not resolved the issue? Im happy to send out a set of replacement locks and latch covers to you under warranty. Please send me some images of the faulty locks and I will get this going for you. The locks will be the same as the current ones in your cap.

Thank you.
---
Kind Regards
Lionel
Olivier
SMARTCAP

Forged in Africa. Made forPlanet Earth.

Senior Technician - RSiInternational

M: +27 (0)60 5876 124
T: +1 (682) 2948 371
RSiSmartCAP.com
Lionel at RSI is the man for sure. He got me a new set of keys for my cap after I lost mine. Super quick and on top of things.

Back