• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Brightest aftermarket lights

Jl252

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I'm looking to find out whether hid or led lights work better for the projector housing. I've personally gone through 2 different brand of led lights and they simply changed the color and added no extra visibility. What are the BRIGHTEST kits out there? Something that mimics the Teslas and Mercedes lighting? I've seen people passing by with them so I know they're out there! Please help!

I'm looking to find out whether hid or led lights work better for the projector housing. I've personally gone through 2 different brand of led lights and they simply changed the color and added no extra visibility. What are the BRIGHTEST kits out there? Something that mimics the Teslas and Mercedes lighting? I've seen people passing by with them so I know they're out there! Please help!
Hid thus far
Led can be bright however they require a special projector lens, aftermarket led kits require aligning the led the bulb it self to give you maximum shot

No they will not give you the crispness and length you get from a factory led head light as that was designed for it , your truck is not , but you can make them bright

What brands do you recommend? I've read a lot about the morimoto kit is that the brightest brand you know of?

What brands do you recommend? I've read a lot about the morimoto kit is that the brightest brand you know of?
I personally using morimoto elite I preferred them over the led from another company that I have used , only lasted maybe 3 months before I took them out (still have if you interested) I have been running the morimoto for abput 2.5years with no issue , I don't have much experience with other HID kits but I think alot of people on this forum run a wide variety of brands so maybe they can put there 2 cents in

I personally using morimoto elite I preferred them over the led from another company that I have used , only lasted maybe 3 months before I took them out (still have if you interested) I have been running the morimoto for abput 2.5years with no issue , I don't have much experience with other HID kits but I think alot of people on this forum run a wide variety of brands so maybe they can put there 2 cents in
Running morimoto 35w 5500k. Not really any complaints. I do think I have a ballast going out but it's been a few years

Check out Putco LED they are the best we have found. Like you said most of the cheaper kits simply change the color of the light they don't necessarily output any more. The new line they have is the Nitro lux and they also have kits that are specific to projector housings to take advantage of them. We don't have them on our website but if you have any trouble finding them let us know we would be glad to help!

Thank you guys I'll start to look at these! I really appreciate the feedback!

Honestly i have been toting HID's forever, but when one side of my 150$ Morimoto elite 55w kit had a complete failure i decided to try LED's. I have the auxbeam H11 90W LED headlights and can honestly say theyre as bright as my 55W HID Kit i had. The light is instant and much cleaner, theyre also not as expensive! LED technology has come a long way for sure, so dont rule it out completely, i am very happy with them.

Honestly i have been toting HID's forever, but when one side of my 150$ Morimoto elite 55w kit had a complete failure i decided to try LED's. I have the auxbeam H11 90W LED headlights and can honestly say theyre as bright as my 55W HID Kit i had. The light is instant and much cleaner, theyre also not as expensive! LED technology has come a long way for sure, so dont rule it out completely, i am very happy with them.

I've been contemplating some VLEDs in my low beams. I have their micros for the high beams and they are bright has hell

I've been contemplating some VLEDs in my low beams. I have their micros for the high beams and they are bright has hell
Yea i went for them in my Low beams to replace the HID's because their warranty deal is a pain in the ass, i was not dissapointed at all.

Yea i went for them in my Low beams to replace the HID's because their warranty deal is a pain in the ass, i was not dissapointed at all.

ive got snow in the winter to contend with though. my only concern

ive got snow in the winter to contend with though. my only concern
Ya i suppose that is a downside of LED, due to the wave length of the light it tends to reflect more.

4300kv 4500kv
Are the best for head lights
Bright means nothing if it cant shoot the distance !!! 4300-4500kv will give you the best distance, brighter then the OEM halogens and will reflect the least off the weather

4300kv 4500kv
Are the best for head lights
Bright means nothing if it cant shoot the distance !!! 4300-4500kv will give you the best distance, brighter then the OEM halogens and will reflect the least off the weather
True talk and only makes sense, since true amber cuts through weather like a beast. Higher the kelvin the more reflection you can get.

Yes I forgot to specify that as well that's also important to me. I need it to go the distance as well

Yes I forgot to specify that as well that's also important to me. I need it to go the distance as well
The biggest down side is the Tacoma headlight itself is designed for s halogen bulb , yes it's a projector ,yes a hid will work great , will it work to it's full potential no as the projector is self isn't up to the task
LEDs to work at there fullest require there own projector as well
The 2020 Tacoma will be getting the full led headlight treatment and will be a direct bolt on for 2016+ I'll be once I see the wiring

You'll be able to purchase from the dealer? I have a 2016 personally

You'll be able to purchase from the dealer? I have a 2016 personally
Yes you will be able to order via parts department and maybe a aftermarket OEM will have theres soon after

Thank you! In that case I'll buy one of the less expensive ones for the meantime I mean we only have 7 months to the new year

Thanks again

Thank you! In that case I'll buy one of the less expensive ones for the meantime I mean we only have 7 months to the new year

Thanks again
Have you decided which way your going to go led or hid? If led is the case what kv are you looking at? Cause I'll have a quick look on the weekend but I have a set I used for like 3 months prior to getting my morimoto just sitting somewhere

To be honest a 55w HID is gonna be as bright as I have seen other than a Baja Designs light. But you are gonna be a dick if you run that hot of a light on the street.

I personally don’t notice the degradation of beam quality running a HID in halogen projector. But I’m not the type to retrofit RSX projectors and add spacers for colors and all that jazz. At least not anymore. :geek:

To be honest a 55w HID is gonna be as bright as I have seen other than a Baja Designs light. But you are gonna be a dick if you run that hot of a light on the street.

I personally don’t notice the degradation of beam quality running a HID in halogen projector. But I’m not the type to retrofit RSX projectors and add spacers for colors and all that jazz. At least not anymore. :geek:
Lol

Just ordered some VLED micros for the lows. Tired of that ballast working intermittently

Hi Malcom, I'm new to the group (and to a 3G), I purchased auxbeam H11s too. I'm not super technical with cars but I can do some basic things. When installing them last night, I realized when I took out the old ones, and plugged in the new Auxbeam ones, I could not get the Auxbeam ones in, there wasn't enough clearance to slide it in to make it into the socket and to lock it. I'm curious, did you remove the whole headlight case in order to install the H11 lowbeams? I'm curious how you were able to do it. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Malcom, I'm new to the group (and to a 3G), I purchased auxbeam H11s too. I'm not super technical with cars but I can do some basic things. When installing them last night, I realized when I took out the old ones, and plugged in the new Auxbeam ones, I could not get the Auxbeam ones in, there wasn't enough clearance to slide it in to make it into the socket and to lock it. I'm curious, did you remove the whole headlight case in order to install the H11 lowbeams? I'm curious how you were able to do it. Any help would be appreciated!
Sorry to budge in , but some light bulbs do require removal/partial removal of the headlight

Can you post a picture I’m curious now,
I’ve rocked auxbeam both fogs and headlights and that hasn’t happen to me ?

Probably need to contort that wrist a little more to get em in

Yes i partially removed the headlight assembly to fit the H11 90w auxbeams in. They have a larger cooling fan, but they are much brighter so it is worth the extra work!

Can you post a picture I’m curious now,
I’ve rocked auxbeam both fogs and headlights and that hasn’t happen to me ?
It’s not my wrist, that isn’t the problem. It’s the fact that the fan is so big. I can’t move it into place to lock in. I never took apart a headlight assembly so I am wondering if it’s worth doing on my brand new truck. See the pic below.
333FEDD6-27F9-409F-B662-F2B2BE187754.jpeg

It’s not my wrist, that isn’t the problem. It’s the fact that the fan is so big. I can’t move it into place to lock in. I never took apart a headlight assembly so I am wondering if it’s worth doing on my brand new truck. See the pic below.
333FEDD6-27F9-409F-B662-F2B2BE187754.jpeg
I see what u mean now ??, if u end up doing it I have a headlight removal vidoe that can help I know ur not install Tacomabeast headlight but this video shows how to pull out ur stock headlight housing
View: https://youtu.be/qkxJl0KKTjM

There has to be a easier way though :0

Back