• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Brakes locking up again? Maybe NOT?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
I went to the dealer again (fourth time) ..feels like brake locking up..? …a mechanic road with me…happens mainly in 4x4 H & L ..while making turns…UM. ..after many sharp turns, (full lock turns) We both notice,.. the 4x4 in gage is binding..(feels like brakes are locking..unable to move forward) ..once in reverse..back up a few feet..I am able to make almost the same turns..

The mechanic mentions on some 4x4 systems..especially on a full locking turns…there will be a binding on the 4x4 systems…front inside tire moving ver y little..while the front outside wants to turn…the rear tires are trying push the fronts..causing them to bind? Kinda like the system is locking?
Is my drive shafts..effecting? Or the transfer case causing this? Really feels like the rear passenger side brakes are locking?
2. 5 lift , 32 inch tires….I believe this only started to happen after my lift, & tires? I feel very disappointing? On how my Tacoma TRD is not working perfectly?
My son has a 2016 Tacoma TRD…same lift & tires…He has NEVER,, NEVER experience this ..We both drive on the same Coffee land roads..making the same turns….

Any ideas? Solutions? Oh mines is a long bed..my son is a short bed…
Any long beds getting this problem?
Aloha

I have the 6112, 5160, icon-add-lift spring, drop kit , sway bar relocation kit, rear drive shaft drop kit…trying to keep everything balance…
Why does my system binds are full turns ? If in 4x4 high on the street? Like at Costco pumps…it will bind as I move forward?. (Actually I forgot to put in High…)
Long bed…
Aloha

Sounds like the 4wd is working properly to me. It's not meant for hard surfaces.

If the terrain that you're on doesn't allow for any sort of slip then yeah, it's going to bind. You're not supposed to use 4WD - HI OR LO - on pavement.

This is from the owners manual -

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220401-155824.png
    Screenshot_20220401-155824.png
    521.4 KB · Views: 51
You guys are correct about hard pavements….(4h at Costco). I forgot to put in 2 wheel..
But on a hard dirt coffee farm roads…it binds mostly on turns…the Tacoma has a hard time moving forwards…then I put in reverse to free…happens a couple times every month..
It does feel like the brakes are locking…now I know it is the 4 wheel system…not function as one ?
Aloha

This is normal 4 wheel drive behavior. It requires slip or the rear outside will fight the front inside over the difference in speed. Only way around it is a center differential. Which would actually be great for 99% of driving. But if you want it you have to get a 4Runner.

-M

Best explanation so far…I think I have to live with this problem….started after the lift and added 32 inch tires…
Toyota mechanic mentions common problem..even with other brands of 4x4… just that some trucks ..will be more severe than others,
I am glad I am learning it is NOT brakes…but a driveline problem…
Annoying for sure…Thank you StormRnr…
Aloha

If you're driving around on pavement in four wheel high you need to read the owners manual.

Ok …. Been driving 4x4 since the seventies…never encounter the problem I am having with my Tacoma….

Ok …. Been driving 4x4 since the seventies…never encounter the problem I am having with my Tacoma….
I have been driving off-road since the 70s and have had many different makes of 4 x 4 vehicles and all manuals say do not engage four-wheel-drive for hiway use.
There's nothing wrong with your truck it's how you were using it.

The less square your tire placement is, the worse it'll be. My 4Runner wasn't bad at all. The Tacoma is worse because it's longer and still fairly narrow. Also, I run lower tire pressure most times off road now and so that makes more traction. This is the reason all wheel drive is a thing. It's much better on mixed traction surfaces and surfaces that are consistent like dirt roads and snow/ice. All wheel drive is designed to minimized slipping and binding, not necessarily to maximize traction.

That said, I do wish Tacomas had a lockable center diff.

Thanks for the info’s ….I did not realize I drove in 4hi on the highway to Costco for gas…
I am almost 100% in 4H every single day…when I drive around on the coffee farm road ways..live on a hill side, dirt roads, a few place with asphalt ( lay in sections) for each tire…land area covers almost 25 acres…with several off road paths..
I need to be in 4x4 just to go home…for working in the coffee fields…every year we need to trim the many kinds of trees, brushes, etc to clear the roadways…so I am always four wheeling…daily..
We do not have electricity too…propane stove, propane refrigerator, I go thru tons of D, C , AA, Aaa , batteries…most are motion sensor lights, beside battery lanterns, flash lights,

I do have a gas/ propane generator…to wash clothes,a electric run propane dryer, one inverter with car battery…to charge up my tablet, and cell phones…love Netflix, prime videos, & YouTube…lol

My main use for a 4x4 besides the farm use…& Going fishing at beaches, many with lava road trails…most of the places I like to fish at , you will need a 4x4 to get there..
Our style of shoreline fishing includes over 30 species plus..that we like to eat…some caught with hand poles, whipping, dunking , slide baiting ( 80lb mainline-300yards). The tip of those Ulua rods..about the size of you baby fingers…lol. ..if you make a OK sign on your hand ..the O , that is the size of hooks use to catch Ulua’s,, largest known is 190lbs, spear by a diver, but we catch ours on rod and reels…

Mainly species of the fishes we catch, each has there own styles…some can only be caught day time,some only at nights,some any time…some can only be caught with throw nets..(my son throw nets..11/2 eyes..to be legal.. Remember salt water species , numbers in the hundreds..
I have caught lobsters with rod and reel too. There is the spiny lobster and slippery lobsters….as well as crabs…
My biggest shark caught from shoreline…11 foot thrasher shark..fought for three hours, I release it..
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Back