• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Brake upgrade

azshooter40

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
Since installing the larger tires and my brakes squealing like a pig I am looking for suggestions on rotors and pads or just pads. Never really looked at brakes for the taco as oem has done well but with the added weight of everything I have now I think I need more stopping power.

Dude a while back I just did a pad slap with the Hawk super duty pads. Hawk does not reccomend you use these pads unless your towing frequently. I tow somewhat often and have heavier load E tires so I gave them a try. It was a huge difference in stopping power and brake fade. Down side is as little more noise in really dusty conditions and a tad more brake dust.

Upvote 0
I don't tow anything but with the armor and E rated tires I am not pleased with the current oem pads. Will look into the Hawks. Was also looking at the EBC yellows but just doing some research now.

Upvote 0
Since installing the larger tires and my brakes squealing like a pig I am looking for suggestions on rotors and pads or just pads. Never really looked at brakes for the taco as oem has done well but with the added weight of everything I have now I think I need more stopping power.
Ebc makes some great rotors and pads and sell as a combi kit price is not bad either , you would be looking at ebc green stuff or yellow studs I believe

Upvote 0
I've run a variety of different brakes on my trucks and I'd go Hawk HPS 5.0 or EBC Orangestuff every time with full faced rotors (not drilled or slotted). Both are grippy fade resistant pads with low dust and low noise that aren't abusive to the rotors.

Upvote 0
+1 for EBC. I have been swapping them onto everything I work on and have been thoroughly impressed. Pick a compound that fits your needs and they'll be great.

Side note, be sure to check Amazon's 'warehouse deals' for a bargain. Got the redstuff pads for my Golf on there for $30 a set.

Upvote 0
Back