• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Boykin's Bodacious Budget Build

howlingboykin

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Starting a new thread to track my progress on my 2020 Tacoma SR. This is my first Tacoma and I really didn't know what I was getting into when I bought it a year ago. This definitely won't be my last, but is what I have for now. She's a looker though! I've never really been one for doing things on a budget but gosh 4x4 is expensive. I'd love the V6 but the I4 is treating me well for now. I don't do much technical driving so 4x2 suits me just fine. Anyway, here's my build and progress. I've done a lot of minor changes but am now starting to ramp things up. I hope you enjoy!

Fresh from the dealership:
IMG_6579.jpg

How it looks now:
IMG_7397.jpg

The very first thing I did was trash the air dam, as I'm sure everyone else did too.

Interior
Rago Fabrication Console Molle Panels
Midland GMRS Radio

Exterior
TRD Pro-style Grill
Tacoma Side Emblems
Matte Black Tacoma Wheel Well Fenders
Midland Low-Profile GMRS Antennae
Cali Raised LED Fog Lights
Rough Country 2" Level Kit

Suspension
Bilstein 5100 Shocks - En route
Eibach Rear Lift Block - En route

Wheels and Tires
Vison Manx 2 Overland 16x8 +0mm
BFGoodrich TA KO2 285/75/16

Last edited:
Looks good, thats for sure! What are your 33s rubbing on in the back?
I haven't heard any rubbing so far in the back but the front rubs at full turn, especially when I'm going uphill.

I haven't heard any rubbing so far in the back but the front rubs at full turn, especially when I'm going uphill.

If the 2" lift blocks didn't help, the 5100s won't either. You're still going to rub at full turn unless you raise it to 3". Even then, when you hit any bumps at full turn it's going to rub due to compression.

General rule of thumb is: If it rubs at stock height, it's gonna rub with a lift. A bump is still a bump and it's going to compress through the same range of motion no matter how high you lift it. :(

If the 2" lift blocks didn't help, the 5100s won't either. You're still going to rub at full turn unless you raise it to 3". Even then, when you hit any bumps at full turn it's going to rub due to compression.

General rule of thumb is: If it rubs at stock height, it's gonna rub with a lift. A bump is still a bump and it's going to compress through the same range of motion no matter how high you lift it. :(
Good to know, thanks for that. Anyway, the new suspension isn't just for the rubbing. Its mostly for a smoother ride and a taller truck :D

Sweet action! At least when you go 3” lift you don’t have to worry about the needle bearings in the front diff! Tbh that’s my biggest fear when go to lift. Looks like a great start!

Thanks everyone! Happy to be here. I love how welcoming and friendly this forum is

Update: Bilsteins came in! I've switched from the Eibach 1" block to a ReadyLift 2" block. I knew I wanted a higher lift but wasn't aware that 2" was achievable with the 5100s. Bilstein claims that a 2" rear block lift works fine with the 5100s so I jumped on the 2" block fast. Should be here this week, then I'll get the suspension on Sunday afternoon. I'm looking forward to a good 5+ hours of work 🤓

Attachments

• IMG_1731.png
    IMG_1731.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 4.02.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 4.02.24 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 63
Back