• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Blackout Badges versus Overlays

jdsnyder13

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase the blackout badges for my newly purchased '21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. I was told by a local custom shop to avoid the overlays but I was never given a reason. Can anyone shed some light as to why this shop told me to find the actual badges & to stay away from the overlays? I have only been able to locate the overlays & really want to get this done pretty quick. TYIA!

Jeff

I bought overlays they work perfectly fine, I only bought the rear 4x4 badge black. Overlays look great. Depending on where u get it from too. I got mine from running 4 tacos

Overlays work fine. Some people have issues with them not sticking. Make sure you clean the badges well with some rubbing alcohol before you apply them and you should be good. Plus they are cheap enough that if you do lose them the cost to replace is minimal.

Overlays work fine. Some people have issues with them not sticking. Make sure you clean the badges well with some rubbing alcohol before you apply them and you should be good. Plus they are cheap enough that if you do lose them the cost to replace is minimal.
I appreciate the information!

I bought the overlays and they look good with no issues so far.
Where did you end up buying from? I'm still on the fence about debadging or buying overlays. I think I'm leaning more towards debadging instead of spending money on blackout kits.

Where did you end up buying from? I'm still on the fence about debadging or buying overlays. I think I'm leaning more towards debadging instead of spending money on blackout kits.
Hey TCOTUE! I purhased the overlays through etsy.com at this link:

This. I am all about the de-badge.

Debadge.

Also grab an adhesive removal wheel. Don't go fast. Just somewhat fast and keep moving.
I used this for badges and the dumb stickers on the side of the bed.

5a8ff4c5-9073-409c-85a6-dcfb3dc25087_1.5ed6bc5323478943a6dc5b2d99bbc2fd.jpeg

Back