• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bilstein 5100s with 285/70/17

Pinkston

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I got 285/70/17 put on my 2019 TRD OR at discount tire the guy told me they would fit without rubbing but they don’t. So I didn’t want to do a spacer lift but I don’t wanna spend a whole lot getting these tires not to rub. That is why I was thinking of the 5100s. I do plan on taking it OR but nothing crazy. Any recommendations?

Raise your spring pedestal on 5100 or put on aftermarket springs in front.

Try to get more positive caster but just be ready to trim

Last edited:
I got 285/70/17 put on my 2019 TRD OR at discount tire the guy told me they would fit without rubbing but they don’t. So I didn’t want to do a spacer lift but I don’t wanna spend a whole lot getting these tires not to rub. That is why I was thinking of the 5100s. I do plan on taking it OR but nothing crazy. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 7C504FCD-789D-4047-BF50-0355AD5C26F5.jpeg
    7C504FCD-789D-4047-BF50-0355AD5C26F5.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 908
This is what the guy at the shop told me would be my best option.

This is what the guy at the shop told me would be my best option.

It could work. Your issue isn't necessarily your lift. Lifting the truck will definitely help, but be ready to need a decent alignment. Like Rob said you're going to bed to maximize your caster. Hopefully up to around 4°. To do that you'll need UCA's. So plan to factor that into your purchase equation. Even then you may still need to trim a bit. These trucks don't have a lot of room to add rubber under them.

$584.00 for all that? what coils are you using, also what are you doing in the rear?

It could work. Your issue isn't necessarily your lift. Lifting the truck will definitely help, but be ready to need a decent alignment. Like Rob said you're going to bed to maximize your caster. Hopefully up to around 4°. To do that you'll need UCA's. So plan to factor that into your purchase equation. Even then you may still need to trim a bit. These trucks don't have a lot of room to add rubber under them.
My
$584.00 for all that? what coils are you using, also what are you doing in the rear?
OEM could and 5100s in the back but I am up for suggestions the most I wanna spend is around 800.

OEM Coils? Hmmm...

I'd recommend if you're going to do a lift at all at least OME coils (I'm going to do the 888's likely).

OEM Coils? Hmmm...

I'd recommend if you're going to do a lift at all at least OME coils (I'm going to do the 888's likely).
So just front shocks 5100s and then OME coils. Do I need shocks in the back or like a AAL?and do I need UCAs? Sorry I’m new to all this

So just front shocks 5100s and then OME coils. Do I need shocks in the back or like a AAL?and do I need UCAs? Sorry I’m new to all this
Don't be sorry, ask all the questions now - no matter how dumb they are before you make a mistake and ruin your truck or run some sketchy ass rig.

So my plan is as follows, Bilstien 5100 (4), OME 888 coils (2), Maxtrac Lift Blocks in the rear. This setup is planned to give me about 2 - 2.5" of lift.

Headstrong Offroad 5100 Kit
Maxtrac Lift Block Kit

Based on my level of planned offroading and weight I will be putting onto the truck. It is unlikely that I will need UCAs however, with that being said there will be additional wear on them. Below is some information I gathered during my discussion with Marie from Headstrong Offroad.

Marie - Headstrong Offroad said:
OME 884 coils 590 lbs spring rate 390 mm in length (approx. 1.75” of lift on a base stock weight 05-15 4dr 4wd v6 auto, approx. 1” of lift on a base stock weight 2016-current 4dr 4wd v6 auto)
OME 885 Coils 590 lbs spring rate 395 mm in length (approx. 2.25” of lift on a base stock weight 05-15 4dr 4wd v6 auto, approx. 1.5” of lift on a base stock weight 2016-current 4dr 4wd v6 auto)
OME 886 coils 660 lb spring rate 402 mm in length (not recommended to be run on the 5100's)
OME 887 coils 590 lb spring rate 400 mm in length (approx. 2.75” of lift on a base stock weight 05-15 4dr 4wd v6 auto, approx. 2” of lift on a base stock weight 2016-current 4dr 4wd v6 auto)
OME 888 coils 590 lb spring rate 405 mm in length (not recommended for 05-15 models, approx. 2.5” of lift on a base stock weight 2016-current 4dr 4wd v6 auto)

I do become worried when I see posts on a Tacoma Facebook group I'm on that says shit like... How can you get 3" x 2" of lift off a leveling kit and not sacrifice a significant amount of quality?
Facebook Turd said:
You can get a Supreme leveling kit on Amazon that is 3” in the front and 2” in the back for about $159, but then put a diff drop on it for about $25 and then get it aligned for about $80 and you will be lifted for under $300. That’s what I did.

Don't be sorry, ask all the questions now - no matter how dumb they are before you make a mistake and ruin your truck or run some sketchy ass rig.

So my plan is as follows, Bilstien 5100 (4), OME 888 coils (2), Maxtrac Lift Blocks in the rear. This setup is planned to give me about 2 - 2.5" of lift.

Headstrong Offroad 5100 Kit
Maxtrac Lift Block Kit

Based on my level of planned offroading and weight I will be putting onto the truck. It is unlikely that I will need UCAs however, with that being said there will be additional wear on them. Below is some information I gathered during my discussion with Marie from Headstrong Offroad.
What do you plan to do with that lift? Like how much off road and how much payload?

What do you plan to do with that lift? Like how much off road and how much payload?
Honestly, in terms of off roading I'm not sure. Truth be told, the vehicle is a leased vehicle which is part of the reason I do not want to dump thousands into suspension. I'd like to do some basic fire roads, along with some level 1 - 3 scale trails. As for payload, I plan to get sliders, possibly a hidden winch up front. Ideally I'd like to be able to tow a small trailer and maybe put some shit in the bed without ruining the truck. It'll be less then 600lbs in the bed and payload likely.

People often ask me why I'm modifying a leased vehicle... my response is always because it's my payment and I can do whatever I want with my money unless they want to start paying the monthly bill ;)

Your best bet might be reaching out to someone like Marie from Headstrong Offroad, ask all your questions and she'll get you pointed in the right direction.

If u get the one coils I would recommend the aal just so ur truck is not leaning like a gangster then as far as ucas if u r of course changing to one coils it’s recommends to get the ucas “for proper alignment” and other stuff but yea that should be a good setup if u don’t plan on doing nothing wild ?? I’m running that on mine only difference I have 5160 on the rear with no aal idk if u can tell but the rear is slightly leaning so I need it ?
EB8DA8EC-AD06-4649-894D-8444798F9109.jpeg
DB057047-DEBB-4FE7-A217-4A3485222382.jpeg

If u get the one coils I would recommend the aal just so ur truck is not leaning like a gangster then as far as ucas if u r of course changing to one coils it’s recommends to get the ucas “for proper alignment” and other stuff but yea that should be a good setup if u don’t plan on doing nothing wild ?? I’m running that on mine only difference I have 5160 on the rear with no aal idk if u can tell but the rear is slightly leaning so I need it

You don't need the AAL, you can get away with the blocks like I recommended. The only concerns which you cna find below from Headstrongs FAQ are axle wrap.

Headstrong FAQ Page said:
Is there anything wrong with using lift blocks over Add-A-Leafs?
For those who don't want to alter the quality of ride, a lift block is a good inexpensive option. Unlike AALs, which can raise the spring rate of the factory packs resulting in a stiffer ride, blocks just lower the rear axle creating a new perch for the center bolt head to engage into. A lot of people will hear negative reviews on blocks and for this reason avoid them altogether. Though we are not big fans of taller blocks (over 2") as they can contribute to things like axle wrap or premature wear, smaller blocks typically have minimal to no impact on the integrity of the factory packs.

If u get the one coils I would recommend the aal just so ur truck is not leaning like a gangster then as far as ucas if u r of course changing to one coils it’s recommends to get the ucas “for proper alignment” and other stuff but yea that should be a good setup if u don’t plan on doing nothing wild ?? I’m running that on mine only difference I have 5160 on the rear with no aal idk if u can tell but the rear is slightly leaning so I need it ?
EB8DA8EC-AD06-4649-894D-8444798F9109.jpeg
DB057047-DEBB-4FE7-A217-4A3485222382.jpeg
Did you upgrade UCAs ?

I know I'm late to the convo, but I have the 5100s front and rear with OME 887 coils, and originally had a 1 in block for the rear. I upgraded the rear leaf pack when I got a bed rack and tent. I highly recommend the 5100s for basic offroading. I've taken them in rough road scenarios with dudes running Icon's and Kings and kept up fine. You will love them and they will fit the 285/70/17 with minor rubbing.

I know I'm late to the convo, but I have the 5100s front and rear with OME 887 coils, and originally had a 1 in block for the rear. I upgraded the rear leaf pack when I got a bed rack and tent. I highly recommend the 5100s for basic offroading. I've taken them in rough road scenarios with dudes running Icon's and Kings and kept up fine. You will love them and they will fit the 285/70/17 with minor rubbing.

Perfect. When you say minor rubbing, is it minor rubbing at all times or?

Do you have UCA? I’m buying the same kit except with 888s.
How much rubbing did you have and did you have to trim anywhere ?

Perfect. When you say minor rubbing, is it minor rubbing at all times or?
Nope just when I hit a hard bump while I'm turning, the tire hits the inner wheel well plastic

Do you have UCA? I’m buying the same kit except with 888s.
How much rubbing did you have and did you have to trim anywhere ?
Not yet but they are on the list. I haven't trimmed anywhere but I've been lazy about it.

So not to throw a wrench into this discussion however... I just came across a post of a guy using TRD Pro Fox Shocks, an AAL and some spacers to create nice, functional kit - anyone know about this? Is it cheaper to do this?

So i just pulled the trigger on my suspension. Order from headstrong offroad a set of Billstein 5100s front and rear with OME 888 coils and Lights racing upper control arms. For the rear i got the Maxtrac 1.5" block. Cant wait to install on 285/70/17 Fuel Rebels with Toyo Open Country AT2s

So i just pulled the trigger on my suspension. Order from headstrong offroad a set of Billstein 5100s front and rear with OME 888 coils and Lights racing upper control arms. For the rear i got the Maxtrac 1.5" block. Cant wait to install on 285/70/17 Fuel Rebels with Toyo Open Country AT2s

My jealously flows thickly through my veins.... you whore. :(

Back