• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bed stiffers

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
NOT sure how many Tacoma truck with composite beds, that is cracking or has separations…
I ended up buying and installing a pair of bed stiffers…due to the fiberglass Leer camper..as a precaution…

Sad Toyota is NOT doing anything …(another Toyota going cheap!)…

Have anyone experience of composite bed problems…or is this just for aftermarket sales people?
Aloha

No problems but I installed the cali raised bed stiffeners. Huge upgrade for tie downs and zero issues with my bed, helped the rear end jitters a little.

The install was a pain in my ass, but then again installs always are for me haha

No problems here, but I also installed some stiffeners. I abuse my bed quite a bit, didn't want problems in the future.

"Total Chaos" stiffners on my Tacoma with a 6' bed, and Leer cap with two extra clamos for the cap lip to hold it in place along with a "Sherpa" Crows Nest full rack on top. Will eventually be placing the Thule box up there to hold camping tent (Gazelle T4, the 5' Gazebo) and other gear, along with a future 270 degree awning (brand unkown as of this post).

So we sell stiffeners. On the blue truck, I only ran one side because of my fridge slide, no issues. On my white truck I don't have them in yet, because I'm lazy. Are they necessary? Depends on how you use your truck. Cheap insurance? Probably.

I am sure Toyota Corporations…must be aware of this weak spot on the Tacoma trucks?
Sad we do not hear of any upgrades, or Toyota to commit to built a stronger composite bed..

What will happen in a few years from now or ten years from now? For those who did not add bed stiffeners?
Will they experience cracking or spitting? Is the Competition is getting stronger…better, and offering MORE?

To be the best…is to always improve the weakness…. Um? Why So many aftermarket parts just to make a 4x4 better…?
Rivian….impressive

Toyota doesn't care about customers mounting any aftermarket accessories to the bedsides and causing issues because it isn't their problem.

Toyota also didn't design the truck to handle what we do to them 😂

Most tacoma owners are happy with the way they come from the factory and don't load them. They get leveling kits and go about their day. Would be cool if Toyota did something like the Wrangler or Bronco that was meant to be modified. Had they done that with the FJ then they would have killed it. But the didn't. Still, it's a pretty good truck despite all that.

So we sell stiffeners. On the blue truck, I only ran one side because of my fridge slide, no issues. On my white truck I don't have them in yet, because I'm lazy. Are they necessary? Depends on how you use your truck. Cheap insurance? Probably.
I think it might be time for me to order a set. I've been chasing my buddy on his KTM down some pretty fast trails, really starting to take a toll on the truck. Last trip out I snapped one of the bolts holding the Habitat on. That was an eye opener.

My bed stiffers ..Cali Raised…there is a tight fit for some of the nuts…Smaller hands really works better..
My roof racks ( ski) is for secure my fishing poles and a long 12foot fish gaff and 12 foot fishing net…

Attachments

• 022518F7-3444-4587-A294-951D9A3E85E0.jpeg
    022518F7-3444-4587-A294-951D9A3E85E0.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DA2D2894-1342-462B-AF96-2B3DF2D89452.jpeg
    DA2D2894-1342-462B-AF96-2B3DF2D89452.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 61
  • 4A3F3253-5AB5-4F63-8B80-83DC706FF42D.jpeg
    4A3F3253-5AB5-4F63-8B80-83DC706FF42D.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 63
Know I know why? I have a Leer campers shell, often times one side rear lock gets jam on back window…
This morning I climb in side to adjust the locking device….
The problem was I had my ratching cargo holder across the rear bd….when I release the tension…my lock work normal…once release the bed move inwards…
Tacoma bed is so easy to push out..( my tension was where the 2x6 holders are located..the one near tailgate…
I could’nt believe how much and easy to push the bed outwards!
THIS IS NOT GOOD! Toyota composite beds, are very flexible, too easy push outwards…BAD engineering designs.. NOT enough reinforcements…..Is Toyota Tacomas is going down hill…?

Now I know why you should install bed stiffers…the bed is so easy to widened!
The 3gen is still very new…what will the composite beds be like 10-20 years from now?

Best everyone should consider bed stiffers?

I install the Cali Raised bed stiffers, the problem with these designs…is bed bottom is flexing too?

Someone made need to design a complete U shape. Wider, and very ridged…the center bed is flexing too…? Study this?
Aloha,

Last edited by a moderator:
My bed stiffers ..Cali Raised…there is a tight fit for some of the nuts…Smaller hands really works better..
My roof racks ( ski) is for secure my fishing poles and a long 12foot fish gaff and 12 foot fishing net…
NIce rig! Looks like mine - White TRD Off Road DCLB with with cap.

Thank you…. I like the space a 6 foot bed provides….most of our travels off roading isn’t too rough…just that 10% of it can be very rough..the dips ,humps, twisting on turns , angles, can be tricky…a 6 Ft lift would make it easier….?
I just order a trailer hitch skid plate , from supreme suspensions…cause I know I will drag on the rear end…when I climp down and up out of a dip…I do not lose a part of my bumbers…saw this happen on YouTube..lol
I wish Tacomas had all metal bumpers…! Too much plastic…
Aloha

I have a cargo rack that fits on the trailer hitch from my other 4x4 and had a welder, raise it to top of my tail gate, and I use cable/ chains on ends attach to my metal bumpers, to stable it…can’t on the Tacoma…never ever got drag…lol

Ive considered getting these however, I run a bed rack most of the time, so Im guessing that since the bed rack bolts to both sides, and any weight on the bed rack doesnt spread the bed sides, I dont need the stiffeners. The rack holds the bed sides in place.

Hope you are right? About the bed racks….I thought my Leer camper will prevent the spreading…I found out this is NOT true…. Many others with bed racks …have add bed stiffers for protection…because they may have found it does NOT prevent the bed from expending?

How to test? I have a ratchet cargo holder….and I have bed stiffers from Cali Raised….and a Leer camper..
I place my cargo holder on the very rear (2x6) slots…to keep things from sliding forwards…like coolers boxes, groceries, gas cans, camping gear, etc…
..and when I tighten the ratchet cargo holder? It widens the bed, my rear leer camper window locks, get mis-alignment…and gets struck…I couldn’t figure why..till I climb inside the bed ,put the cargo ratchet on…and to my surprise…it expanded..!!!, What will happen to our composite bed in 5-10 years from now?
The bed racks will wobble both sides in my opinion over time…?
Tacoma it seems do not have metal/ iron bars on the composite beds? It should be made in a U- shape…
A terrible design I think..?
Time will tell ?
Cut a foot long rain gutter..place a metal strip (1inch wide…) attached to top of the open end of the rain gutter…hold the bottom of the rain gutter..and move the metal bar side to side? See if it flexing? ..hope you get the idea?

Are you talking about a ratcheting cargo holder that uses outward force to stay in place? Like one that pushes outward against the inside of the bed when you ratchet it?
I think using something like that in any truck bed is a bad idea, but I am not an engineer by any means.

Yes ratchet outwards…mainly to place a cargo holder in the rear…now I do not make it too tight…
Another idea is a ratchet strap between the two bed pulling inwards as I push the cargo holder outwards…lol… anyways Toyota did not design it to be a solid bed…?
Aloha

Yes ratchet outwards…mainly to place a cargo holder in the rear…now I do not make it too tight…
Another idea is a ratchet strap between the two bed pulling inwards as I push the cargo holder outwards…lol… anyways Toyota did not design it to be a solid bed…?
Aloha
Toyota designed it to meet the ideal weight to carrying capacity. You can weld a 3/4 inch steel bed for your Tacoma, but add 2000 lbs to your bed, then require upgrades to drivetrain and engine and transmission...oh wait! I should just buy a 3/4 ton truck like an f-250 for that!

The point of a Tacoma is to have a small truck for light loads and easy maneuverability. The bed is fine. If you need to modify it for heavier work, there are plenty of things to help. You're just going to start giving up efficiency and longevity.

Why not just run a 2x6 and run a couple of L shaped aluminum pieces to the bed rails and bolt them to the bed rails to keep it in place?

Good ideas , good suggestions …l. Bolt to a composite bed? Maybe a toggle bolts…there is a empty space between fender and bed…hollow?

Why are many people buying bed stiffers..
Why are so many company offering bed stiffers…
Why are other brands of midsize trucks…don,‘t need bed stiffers..?
Maybe because many Tacoma owners ..realize there maybe a problem with the composite bed?

A Rachel cargo holder is a quick release and removable tool…I use them in my Ford ranger with NO problems…
I am planning on keeping and using my 3gen Tacoma…learning to make other adjustments…on my cargo bar…I use it almost every week …will the Tacoma composite bed last for many years? Time will provide the many answers…
Aloha

You have to ask “WHY we need bed stiffeners? Because Toyota did NOT do it right… what will the long term effects be years from now? Will this become a major issue for resale years from now?

Only time will tell….like a plastic tub…age makes it brittle…lol

You have to ask “WHY we need bed stiffeners? Because Toyota did NOT do it right… what will the long term effects be years from now? Will this become a major issue for resale years from now?

Only time will tell….like a plastic tub…age makes it brittle…lol
Like my ex-wives

Back