• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bed Rattling

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Why would my bed be rattling as I’m hitting bumps/light humps?
I looked into getting bed stabilizers but apparently those are made for when the bed is shifting from left to right due to off-roading with or without there being weight in the bed, not from bouncing up and down.
It seems to only rattle from dead stop to 30-45mph range. Then once you hit higher speeds it really only rattles when I hit bad bumps.
Took my bed cover off cause I thought it was what was rattling but then the noise just got louder, as if the bed cover was muffling it.
Also took off my air bags because I thought it was making the bed really stiff and it didn’t stop the noise.

Try tightening the 4 torx bolts that fasten the bed to your frame.

From what you’ve said on other threads, I wouldn’t be surprised if the piece of shit lift kit on your truck had also incorporated a piece of shit body lift. Perhaps post some photos of your bed mount locations and we could tell you.

Upvote 0
Why would my bed be rattling as I’m hitting bumps/light humps?
I looked into getting bed stabilizers but apparently those are made for when the bed is shifting from left to right due to off-roading with or without there being weight in the bed, not from bouncing up and down.
It seems to only rattle from dead stop to 30-45mph range. Then once you hit higher speeds it really only rattles when I hit bad bumps.
Took my bed cover off cause I thought it was what was rattling but then the noise just got louder, as if the bed cover was muffling it.
Also took off my air bags because I thought it was making the bed really stiff and it didn’t stop the noise.
Have you checked your spare tire? It may have come loose some and may be where the sound is coming from.

Upvote 0
Try tightening the 4 torx bolts that fasten the bed to your frame.

From what you’ve said on other threads, I wouldn’t be surprised if the piece of shit lift kit on your truck had also incorporated a piece of shit body lift. Perhaps post some photos of your bed mount locations and we could tell you.
Ok.
Q1: Is a Pro Comp lift shitty? I thought it was at least average. Like not as good as a Bulletproof or something of that nature but not as shitty as a Rough Country.
Q2: What is the difference between a lift and a body lift? I thought it was just one thing. When you say body lift are you referring to the spacer that sits on top of the front shocks?

Upvote 0
Ok.
Q1: Is a Pro Comp lift shitty? I thought it was at least average. Like not as good as a Bulletproof or something of that nature but not as shitty as a Rough Country.
Q2: What is the difference between a lift and a body lift? I thought it was just one thing. When you say body lift are you referring to the spacer that sits on top of the front shocks?
A lift, more often than not, is going to be inherently shitty. A coilover lift, is typically the way to go. Not sure which one you have but either way - you get what you pay for and Pro Comp is cheap.

A body lift incorporates actual spacers between your frame and your cab/bed mounts. This is designed with one purpose in mind: lifting the cab higher off the ground (typically in order to clear bigger wheels).

A spacer that sits on top of the coil spring is a spacer lift. Typically used for leveling front ride height or used in addition to other components in the shitty lift kits mentioned above.

Upvote 0
Ok so I tightened the bed bolts and it stopped rattling. Idk how it became so loose to begin with.
Your truck probably has a spacer lift and whoever installed it probably didn’t put thread lock on the new bolts.

Upvote 0
20210614_074740.jpg
Anyone know what the true measurements are between the bed and cab i need to realign my bed

Upvote 0
It’s nothing to do with the lift. It’s the composite bed wearing a the point it attaches to the frame. It’s a known problem and I’m suffering from the same issue. First time, righted the bolts and it was fine. It WILL come back as the bed erodes. Look it up.

Upvote 0
I've never had a bed issue somehow.. Just my leaf springs being squeaky as hell :)

Upvote 0
I tightened my bolts and STILL have the rattle and about a quarter inch of travel that I can move by hand.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Back