• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tutorial Bakflip MX4 - Keeping water out of the bed.

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
This is mainly for the Bakflip MX4. Could be done to other tonneau covers.

It's not waterproof. About average. To minimize water getting in you can buy some stuff to help reduce water entry. I think it's worth the $35 in supplies and everything can be done in under an hour. You'll need...

1. ESI Tailgate Seal
  2. 1/8" Thick x 1/4" Wide Adhesive Foam Rolls
  3. 2 x PVC Conduit Elbows
  4. Adhesive Foam Sheet
  5. RTV/Silicone Sealant

ESI Tailgate Seal. Between the truck bed and tailgate.

1/8" Thick x 1/4" Wide Adhesive Foam - Single Sided - This will be placed underneath the MX4 rails where it touched the side molding plastics and on the rear bed panel underneath the plastics. I might have done 2 strips on each side for some of them. Amazon purchase.

312.jpg

s-l640.jpg

2 x Conduit Elbows. PVC. I hate how they want you to run the drain tubes straight down. Things can move around in your bed and hit the tubing. I ran mine into the sides. To minimize blockage and impacts. I'll get a pic for you if you want.

322.PNG

rs=w_600,h_600.jpg

Adhesive Foam Sheet - Single Sided. There is a gap between the rear window rail and side rails. I cut a square and layered it to attach to this cap. Them wedged it back in to keep a seal for the highlighted spot.

13.PNG

RTV/Silicone Sealant - Under any seal topside of the tonneau.

234.jpg

If done correctly this will drastically improve keeping water out of the bed. After everything is back together and the RTV dries spray water all over the cover. Try different angles. See where water is making it in. If you can't find the point of entry, you can always lay in the bed with a flashlight and have someone else hose it down.

That rear window rail has got to be the dumbest design ever.

Back