• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Back cab light issue

BigByrd

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Just an fyi on third gen I know about. The third light on the outside back of the cab has an issue, on the 2016 mods. The install has either left it leaking or with a broken mount. It’s not a real cheap fix to have it done but it does exist on a lot of the trucks. If it will pull away from the body or move at all, you have the issue. Any continuous water infiltration will cause the interior to smell like dirty wet socks or a locker room…..

I believe there is a TSB for this. Someone has the link or document here. I still need to get mine taken care of.

Yeah, there's a TSB. It's a quick fix unless you have a shell on the bed or the interior is already damaged from leaks.

its actually a recall at this point. known issue. happened to me on my 2016 long before there was a recall.

You can go on the Toyota Owner's site and it will show all recalls for your vehicle.

1649461986567.png

The "fix" is an adhesive/sealant and a bezel/ring around the OD of the light. It's all done from the outside.

The "fix" is an adhesive/sealant and a bezel/ring around the OD of the light. It's all done from the outside.
Yeah, it doesn't inspire confidence with me. Just hope they don't find water damage in the cab because they'll probably tear it apart and make you wait for parts to arrive.

Yeah, it doesn't inspire confidence with me. Just hope they don't find water damage in the cab because they'll probably tear it apart and make you wait for parts to arrive.
It’s sealed well and won’t leak after the fix. If you ever have to take that light out it will be a major pain. Friend of mine is a tech who did the recall said they either leak or they don’t. Had a batch of bad gaskets on the lights at one point. He said if they leak the water typically runs down around the rear passenger door.

Back