• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Any tricks or tips on carrying a canoe? specifically getting it on and off the roof without trashing any paint or windows. i am planning on the Victory 4X4 rack, that is similar to the prinsu. my FJ was easy from the back but now there's a truck bed in the way. lol.
I would think you could use a ratchet strap to connect the roof rack to the canoe. The starting position for the canoe would be leaned against the open tailgate. You can then climb into the bed and use the ratchet strap to winch the canoe up to the roof rack while you guide it to slide on the rack into position.

I made this up just now so I’m not sure if it would work in practice but it sounds cool on paper.

Any tricks or tips on carrying a canoe? specifically getting it on and off the roof without trashing any paint or windows. i am planning on the Victory 4X4 rack, that is similar to the prinsu. my FJ was easy from the back but now there's a truck bed in the way. lol.

If you can't just pick it up and set it up top...

Get lighter canoe, have a friend help or get stronk.

But if you have a lady like figure, they have plenty of list assist accessories out there.

MPG367%20Detail%20%28770%20x%20402%29.jpg

1679343317150.png

1679343341781.png

I would say grab a kayak mount so it can slide onto it like a track without banging the extrusion bars.

427e880b43c06689fbc3cc35b0bdc97d199520e2_570_Nautic_Kayak_Canoe_Universal_Side_Carrier_00_1_.jpg

Last edited:
Will I wear out the stock shocks? And brakes faster?
If you wear out the stock shocks it won't be due to tires.

Brake wear and tear is due to how aggressive you mash on that brake pedal. Bigger tires and heavier tires will require more braking pressure to stop within the same distance, and will increase the amount of distance you travel at maximum braking before stopping.

If you wear out the stock shocks it won't be due to tires.

Brake wear and tear is due to how aggressive you mash on that brake pedal. Bigger tires and heavier tires will require more braking pressure to stop within the same distance, and will increase the amount of distance you travel at maximum braking before stopping.
Ok thanks a lot. Was worried I made a terrible decision with the tires

Ok thanks a lot. Was worried I made a terrible decision with the tires

Everything @Biohazard said and E can also be louder. Sound wise.
SL is more than capable of occasional / light off-roading.

E is just a heavy duty tire. Heavier, thicker, more aggressive tread and resistant to wear. Not really needed for Tacomas IMO.

Everything @Biohazard said and E can also be louder. Sound wise.
SL is more than capable of occasional / light off-roading.

E is just a heavy duty tire. Heavier, thicker, more aggressive tread and resistant to wear. Not really needed for Tacomas IMO.
That’s true, will definitely switch to C or SL on the next set.

Only other consideration is miles per set of tires. You'll get more miles from an E rated tire on our light trucks. I've already put 20,000 on my General Grabber X3's, and probably have another 15,000 at least.

If you can't just pick it up and set it up top...

Get lighter canoe, have a friend help or get stronk.

But if you have a lady like figure, they have plenty of list assist accessories out there.

MPG367%20Detail%20%28770%20x%20402%29.jpg

1679343317150.png

1679343341781.png

I would say grab a kayak mount so it can slide onto it like a track without banging the extrusion bars.

427e880b43c06689fbc3cc35b0bdc97d199520e2_570_Nautic_Kayak_Canoe_Universal_Side_Carrier_00_1_.jpg
lifting the canoe isn't really the issue. mine's not light, but still only about 80 lbs.
i usually carry it on my shoulders like i'm portaging, then raise the front and set it on the back of my roof rack. duck out from under it, lift the back and slide it forward on the rack. easy on an SUV, but i'm thinking i'll have to come up with a different approach. i'm just anal about scratching up the paint, esspecially since the truck's brand new. lol. i don't have the rack yet so maybe once i get that up on top a solution may become more obvious.

i do like that kayak lift system though.

Does anyone know what antennas are contained in the shark fin? I know that AM/FM and SXM are in there, but anything else. I’ve heard that maybe there is a GPS component, but I’m unable to confirm.

Does anyone know what antennas are contained in the shark fin? I know that AM/FM and SXM are in there, but anything else. I’ve heard that maybe there is a GPS component, but I’m unable to confirm.
I airways thought it was in the dash.

Heritage Colors and Badging:
I like the Throwback Toyota Heritage Colors 🟨🟧🟥
And would like to stick a little throw back badge on the grill or somewhere on the truck. I just want to make sure it doesn't signify some sort of package or something. I'm not into poser stickers. Does that color trio indicate anything or just a love of Toyota's history?

Heritage Colors and Badging:
I like the Throwback Toyota Heritage Colors 🟨🟧🟥
And would like to stick a little throw back badge on the grill or somewhere on the truck. I just want to make sure it doesn't signify some sort of package or something. I'm not into poser stickers. Does that color trio indicate anything or just a love of Toyota's history?
As far as I know it is just the latter but this is coming from someone who thought "Netflix n chill" just meant sitting on the couch and watching movies......:)

As far as I know it is just the latter but this is coming from someone who thought "Netflix n chill" just meant sitting on the couch and watching movies......:)
So then, what does “Netflix ‘n chill” mean?

2023 Wireless Car Play...
I keep hearing YouToobers mention that starting in 2020 the Taco got Wireless Car Play.

Yet for some reason it alludes me. I'm thinking the Toobers are full of it. Am I wrong?

2023 Wireless Car Play...
I keep hearing YouToobers mention that starting in 2020 the Taco got Wireless Car Play.

Yet for some reason it alludes me. I'm thinking the Toobers are full of it. Am I wrong?
I have a 2020 and it has WIRED Apple car play. Unless I am that bad with technology and haven’t figured out the wireless part yet.

Also pretty sure it's wired and they don't have a wireless yet.
Then they don't always show a Android Auto / Carplay icon to activate it. Once it connects, it connects and then something pops up on the screen.

Hi, NEW here, Just picked up my 2023 TRD Off Road Access Cab (in Lunar Rock) on Friday the 13th. have alittle over 200 miles on it. Time to accessorize, ordered Weathertech floor liners so far. What do you guys and gals like for seat covers? Looking at Marathon and Seat Covers Unlimited, any experience with these? What firs good? Also what do people think bed liners, Dee-Zee any good? Thank you.

Hi, NEW here, Just picked up my 2023 TRD Off Road Access Cab (in Lunar Rock) on Friday the 13th. have alittle over 200 miles on it. Time to accessorize, ordered Weathertech floor liners so far. What do you guys and gals like for seat covers? Looking at Marathon and Seat Covers Unlimited, any experience with these? What firs good? Also what do people think bed liners, Dee-Zee any good? Thank you.
I'm pretty sure this is still accurate https://tacoma3g.com/threads/seat-cover-knowledge-dump.10211/

I've had the Carhartts for a few years now and they've held up well.

Back