• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

I'm running A 33x12.50R18 Toyo Open Country M/T does anyone know what's the best Tire Pressure to be running on them?. Its my Daily driver 40 miles round trip
32psi will get you in the ballpark.

but the best way to check is to chalk (yes, sidewalk chalk) lines across your tires (front and back), drive around on pavement for a minute or two, and then check to see where the chalk remains. If there is a bunch of chalk gone in the middle of the tread but still remaining on the edges, then you need to let some air out.

also, a skinny wheel (7-8 inches) will need a lower pressure on your 33's than a wider 10 inch wheel to maintain good tread wear, which is the goal of this whole ordeal...maximize tread life and wear, while maintaining a good ride and gas mileage.

32psi will get you in the ballpark.

but the best way to check is to chalk (yes, sidewalk chalk) lines across your tires (front and back), drive around on pavement for a minute or two, and then check to see where the chalk remains. If there is a bunch of chalk gone in the middle of the tread but still remaining on the edges, then you need to let some air out.

also, a skinny wheel (7-8 inches) will need a lower pressure on your 33's than a wider 10 inch wheel to maintain good tread wear, which is the goal of this whole ordeal...maximize tread life and wear, while maintaining a good ride and gas mileage.
Thanks you I appreciate it. 👍🏻 I’m going to give it a try. I have a 9” wheel so maybe I’ll try running 33-35 psi or so

OK. Driveline Vibe Q:
Ive messed with this a while. Ive had shims. Ive had spacers and shims. Ive had a small spacer. I measured angles and used a couple different schools of thought to diagnose what angles to tweak.
Right now i have a 2.5"ish lift. If the TC is 0degrees, the first shaft is 7.8degrees, the second shaft is 8.4degrees and the axle pinion is 4.8degrees up from that. yesterday, after i pulled the 2.5degree shims it developed a hum/droning sound. this afternoon that developed into a shake. So something needs to be changed.
Im going to pull the trigger on a double cardan single piece once i get enough coin socked away, but I couldn't deal with the shaking in the mean time.
Is the droning a sign of something worse than the shaking? Id hate to undo everything I jsut spent two hours doing, but the damn thing needs to be safe. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Noah

Last edited:
Another thing you could do which I'm also considering doing once 6in lift is installed ,is helwig helper spring . I think I spelled that correct but I could be wrong . Look up their website .

OK. Driveline Vibe Q:
Ive messed with this a while. Ive had shims. Ive had spacers and shims. Ive had a small spacer. I measured angles and used a couple different schools of thought to diagnose what angles to tweak.
Right now i have a 2.5"ish lift. If the TC is 0degrees, the first shaft is 7.8degrees, the second shaft is 8.4degrees and the axle pinion is 4.8degrees up from that. yesterday, after i pulled the 2.5degree shims it developed a hum/droning sound. this afternoon that developed into a shake. So something needs to be changed.
Im going to pull the trigger on a double cardan single piece once i get enough coin socked away, but I couldn't deal with the shaking in the mean time.
Is the droning a sign of something worse than the shaking? Id hate to undo everything I jsut spent two hours doing, but the damn thing needs to be safe. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Noah
New Driveline Shudder/Vibration Solution!!
1. install a bunch of shims and spacers at your axle and Carrier bearing to the point of completely throwing off your angles.
2. drive around trying to figure out why your truck drives like shit.
3. take all the shims and spacers out.
4. rejoice in how good you had it all along.

Are 2nd gen and 3rd gen rear leaf springs identical?
Thx
Did you ever find out? I'd like to know also, officially. I bought a set off a 15 with an icon 1.5 AAL and have been waiting to switch out cos I'd rather not find out the hard way.

Did you ever find out? I'd like to know also, officially. I bought a set off a 15 with an icon 1.5 AAL and have been waiting to switch out cos I'd rather not find out the hard way.
I had someone say that there is one more leaf... But not confirmed

OK. Driveline Vibe Q:

Noah
It could be your driver side needle bearing. Going over 2in inift will put strain on the weaker needle bearing and cause a drone or hum. Some trucks get it right after lifting some dont. If you haven't checked that I would def look into it

A set of 5100’s in the front and stock rear? It will work for 285’s and road driving. With any flex though, you’ll rub like hell. I have the lift and still rub off-road.
Damn. That sucks. I was going to get the TRD lift and 33s

285s are a little bigger than that. I'm pretty sure the people with 33s don't really have problems.
I have 285/75/16 km3's and i have never rubbed ever. Not at moab not at our trails around where i live. I read and read all the time about guys rubbing here and rubbing there. I have a 3" in front and 2" rear aal . What I ponder is these other guys are they running 17" or bigger wheels , that is my question. And i just did tire size calculator and it is the wheels.
Screenshot_20210603-174813_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210603-174804_Firefox.jpg

Learning in offroading growing up as a kid the more rubber on your wheel the better. Truck rides nicer and tires are not as expensive. Im not sure if many guys know about this or what. Im not gonna sacrifice my offroad abilities and comfort so i can have some honkin big wheels on a offroader. Top that you have to have fancier shocks to smooth out your ride with big ass wheels . But hay thats me and my opinion.

I have 285/75/16 km3's and i have never rubbed ever. Not at moab not at our trails around where i live. I read and read all the time about guys rubbing here and rubbing there. I have a 3" in front and 2" rear aal . What I ponder is these other guys are they running 17" or bigger wheels , that is my question. And i just did tire size calculator and it is the wheels.
Screenshot_20210603-174813_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210603-174804_Firefox.jpg
Good info. @citadelfox you'd probably be fine with a 275 or 285 on 16" wheels.

285/75/16 would be gravy if that will work with my setup. But I'm totally OK with a slightly skinnier tire if needed to avoid rubbing.

I have method nv305 wheels with 0 offset and 4.5" backspace , again i do not rub a dub lmao

285/75/16 would be gravy if that will work with my setup. But I'm totally OK with a slightly skinnier tire if needed to avoid rubbing.
I'm fairly certain people say a 255/85r16 is what you want if you don't want to deal with a 285/75 possibly rubbing. The 255/85 is a "pizza cutter" tire which is a tall and skinny tire. It measures about 31.1" which is only slightly shorter than the 285/75. But it is only 10" wide whereas the 285/75 is 11.2" wide.

These measurements also depend on the tire brand and type. BFG tires (such as the popular KO2) tend to run slightly smaller than a similar tire from Nitto, for example.

Thank you so much for the info! That helps my decision making a great deal. I'm still planning on the OEM TRD lift.

Mudflaps? We don't need no stinking mudflaps!! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

If I'm on 5100/887 + AAL is it worth going with the 888 and throwing the overload spring back in?

I just need a little more room for clearance. 265/75/15. CMC'd it twice. Gonna have to redo the one side. Rather have the room then a little more. Should I even bother?

Before doing a tune is it best to upgrade your exhaust and intake first?

I decided to go ahead and get an exhaust "MBRP" as a economy price and read good reviews but plan on coating it with heat resistant paint as some say it rusts early. we will see.

Last edited:
I currently have a matrix XRS and looking into getting a 4 door manual transmission tscoma .. is it worth while to get the trd pro or should I just go with the standard package and get various mods like trd air intake nd air filters ?
First time New car buyer and still learning about tacos .. TIA

I currently have a matrix XRS and looking into getting a 4 door manual transmission tscoma .. is it worth while to get the trd pro or should I just go with the standard package and get various mods like trd air intake nd air filters ?
First time New car buyer and still learning about tacos .. TIA
I have a pro and have enoyed it, but my plan was to stay fairly stock while adding a winch and side steps and other functional mods.
If you plan on suspension upgrades, the trd pro is a total waste, because its main feature for which you pay a premium is a 1.5 inch lift with some great fox shocks.

Last edited:
Back