• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

no warning no nothing? Do you have the BSM toggle switch off?

I guess what I meant was is there an advantage to a supercharged I4 vs V6?

That's a fair question 👍.

None of us really know yet to be honest. The 4 cylinder is likely lighter, but obviously makes less power standard than the 6. With the 4 cylinder there's currently an off the shelf option to boost the motor. Currently all off the shelf options to boost the 6 are still in development (Magnuson, OV, Harrop, URD). So we don't know their true numbers just yet. Hopefully we will soon and it'll likely be OV with the first offering as he's already taking orders and has a fully functional and tuned kit with video of it running solid boost posted on YouTube.

In the end, whatever makes you smile when you out your foot down on the skinny pedal is good for me 😁👍.

That's a fair question 👍.

None of us really know yet to be honest. The 4 cylinder is likely lighter, but obviously makes less power standard than the 6. With the 4 cylinder there's currently an off the shelf option to boost the motor. Currently all off the shelf options to boost the 6 are still in development (Magnuson, OV, Harrop, URD). So we don't know their true numbers just yet. Hopefully we will soon and it'll likely be OV with the first offering as he's already taking orders and has a fully functional and tuned kit with video of it running solid boost posted on YouTube.

In the end, whatever makes you smile when you out your foot down on the skinny pedal is good for me 😁👍.
Do you have any beginning mods you’d recommend to start with? Like smaller projects not to crazy in price for now?

Do you have any beginning mods you’d recommend to start with? Like smaller projects not to crazy in price for now?

If your plan is to put more power down in the future, I'm a big proponent of tires, brakes, and suspension. The ability to stop, and handle is priceless prior to adding power to a vehicle.

Sell your 4cyl and buy a 6cyl.

seriously, even the v6 is underpowered. Drop a suspension and get worse aerodynamics, plop a few inches more tire diameter and boom, you have a truck that—with a 4cyl—can’t go faster than 55mph on the freeway.

If your plan is to put more power down in the future, I'm a big proponent of tires, brakes, and suspension. The ability to stop, and handle is priceless prior to adding power to a vehicle.
Are there any cold air intakes that work with a 2.7L?

Do I need to purchase new tires and wheels right away if i upgraded to a 2" lift? Thanks

Could I put a 17x9 -14 offset with a 265/70R17 General Grabber ATX on a stock SR5 without any rubbing. Not planning on doing any serious off-roading. But will be looking to do a suspension lift probably next year. First Tacoma and really first truck. Though I did own a 99 Ranger for a few years, but I left it completely stock. I just want something a little more aggressive without going all in just right yet. Here is the wheel I am looking at. It's the Vision Nemesis.

Vision Nemesis.jpg

Last edited:
Could I put a 17x9 -14 offset with a 265/70R17 General Grabber ATX on a stock SR5 without any rubbing. Not planning on doing any serious off-roading. But will be looking to do a suspension lift probably next year. First Tacoma and really first truck. Though I did own a 99 Ranger for a few years, but I left it completely stock. I just want something a little more aggressive without going all in just right yet. Here is the wheel I am looking at. It's the Vision Nemesis.

Vision Nemesis.jpg

There is a site out there called "https://www.customwheeloffset.com/" which does an ok job at collecting people's experiences with different wheels/tires/lift combos. You effectively search for your rig and wheel info, and it brings up similar configurations from real folks who've posted. Incase someone here doesn't have more direct experience you can try there.

There is a site out there called "https://www.customwheeloffset.com/" which does an ok job at collecting people's experiences with different wheels/tires/lift combos. You effectively search for your rig and wheel info, and it brings up similar configurations from real folks who've posted. Incase someone here doesn't have more direct experience you can try there.
That's actually where I found these wheels. They pretty much say I can, but was just getting opinions. Thanks.

Do I need to purchase new tires and wheels right away if i upgraded to a 2" lift? Thanks

Absolutely not. It may look a bit funky without them, but it ain't a big deal. Spend good money on a quality lift and get the wheels and tires when you can.

I believe it won’t. There are plenty of people that don’t even know about this/the ECGS bushing with more lift than that, and they’re ok. But I’m not saying they shouldn’t do the bushing cause they should if possible.

With 1.25”, I can’t see that causing failure. I have 2.25” in the front and think I feel some vibration, but it could be placebo. I plan to do the bushing anyway for mine though. Do you feel vibration?
ECGS bushing? Please explain. Just installed a 3” lift and thought I’d covered all my bases. Did I miss something?

ECGS bushing? Please explain. Just installed a 3” lift and thought I’d covered all my bases. Did I miss something?

I'm also curious about this. My understanding was that this was fixed in the 3rd gens and you don't need to replace the factory bushing with the new/stronger one. Totally down to swap it if I do need this for the 2.5" lift....

I'm also curious about this. My understanding was that this was fixed in the 3rd gens and you don't need to replace the factory bushing with the new/stronger one. Totally down to swap it if I do need this for the 2.5" lift....

Many people, especially earlier in the run of the 3rd gen Tacoma, experienced vibration coming from the front left of the vehicle after lifting. I've never had this issue and I actually have a bushing sitting in a box that I meant to install but never did. Honestly, over the life of my truck I've heard less and less about people needing to install the bushing. It's still a possibility, but probably not as prevalent as it was in years past. I don't know if Toyota's made an upgrade on the bushing from the factory or not, but something must have changed.

The way to tell if you've got a bad needle bearing is you will hear noise or vibration coming from the front left side of the vehicle around 20 mph and increasing up to 30 to 45 mph. when you then put the truck into four-wheel drive the vibration and noises will go away.

The fix is cheap in East coast gear supply has plenty of the bushings in stock to send out at any point in time. The install is not hard but you do need the specialty tool. like I said though I lifted my truck and it had about 40,000 mi of trouble free issues and I still just have a bearing sitting in my closet. So if I were to do it again I wouldn't bother with buying the bushing until I had issues.

thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I had bookmarked the upgraded bushing and was going to purchase it but I had come to understand what you stated above. Will see if it ever becomes an issue and go from there. Thank you!

Can you charge a power station while still using it to power an accessory?

Can you charge a power station while still using it to power an accessory?

Probably depends on the individual power station and how they're wired. Are you talking like a Goal Zero kind of thing?

If I have a cold air intake like a K&N do I need to tune the truck?

If I have a cold air intake like a K&N do I need to tune the truck?

Not necessarily, but the sad reality is the intake likely isn't actually improving performance no matter what. In fact many cheap intakes (K&N is pretty decent for sure) actually can harm your truck. Cold air intakes have been proven to be predominantly a placebo effect in almost every vehicle. It's likely that any gains you'd see from the tune and intake, were more from just the tune alone and would be similar if not the same or better on the factory intake.

Are people doing black taillight mods with the 2020 sport/OR tails similar to the blank headlight mod?

Also, still wondering if the sun visors slide :)

Are people doing black taillight mods with the 2020 sport/OR tails similar to the blank headlight mod?

Also, still wondering if the sun visors slide :)

They do slide. And there's anumber of different lighting options for the tails.

Hello,

I have a 2018 TRD Sport and have wondered what a few good first mods would be for my truck to get into off-roading. Also if anyone knows of any spots to go in the North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota area?

Back