• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Does anybody know where I can sell my stock parts?? I got my old stock grille and mudflaps and just don't want them laying around.. I'm in South Eastern CT, You think pawn shops might take 'em?
Craigslist or FB marketplace. I doubt a pawn shop would take them. You could also check with local 4x4 shops. I sold my old sus to a friend who own an off road shop for a customer who needed i.

Same here. No noise. I think the torque spec was like 27 ft lbs. Not anything crazy. Just torque them down.

Does anybody know where I can sell my stock parts?? I got my old stock grille and mudflaps and just don't want them laying around.. I'm in South Eastern CT, You think pawn shops might take 'em?
Won't get much for them. Mud flaps most rip them off anyway. $20 for used ones if you're lucky. Grill, probably eBay. Collision repair shops that are looking for cheaper parts to repair vehicles buy them. But not worth anything to people who swap parts.

Too bad you are so far away, I'd take the grille. Noticed after washing yesterday that mine is flaking the "black chrome" off it. I really need to buy another grille but don't want a "PRO" grille

Like many of you I cut my e-brake brackets when I installed my 3AAL and having the cable there rubbing against the leaf pack bothers me. Found this on TW and thought it seemed like a good idea. I had the items to make these laying around my garage so why not. My question is this something to be concerned about? I am sure there are many members on here running without brackets. Anyone notice any wear on the outer sheath of the cable? Has there ever been a known issue due to a lack of e-brake brackets?
1652752994515.png

1652752522589.png

Some one mention “Fire Extinguisher “. Many years ago a lady’s car caught engine fire , a Good Samaritan had a fire extinguisher, put the fire out for the lady. The insurance company sue the Good Samaritan because the fire extinguisher (insurance lawyers ) prove the fire extinguisher create the most damages. And he lost and had to pay for the damages.

Point is , if some else truck/ car catches fire? Give them the fire extinguisher and let them put the fire out. I know “stupid “ laws. “Man make laws , man is not perfect, therefore you will get imperfect laws! “

Some one mention “Fire Extinguisher “. Many years ago a lady’s car caught engine fire , a Good Samaritan had a fire extinguisher, put the fire out for the lady. The insurance company sue the Good Samaritan because the fire extinguisher (insurance lawyers ) prove the fire extinguisher create the most damages. And he lost and had to pay for the damages.

Point is , if some else truck/ car catches fire? Give them the fire extinguisher and let them put the fire out. I know “stupid “ laws. “Man make laws , man is not perfect, therefore you will get imperfect laws! “
Sounds like an urban legend to me.

Hey y’all - I’ve got a question regarding mounting a rooftop tent. What is the SAFE distance between mounting points aka cross bars?

I have the prinsu top rack on my leer, and a clamshell RTT. I was previously keeping the first (fore) and last (aft) crossbars on the rack (about 50” span) attached to the tent, however after I rearranged a few things, I’m now going to be forced to use the 3rd and last (30” spread). Given the design of the prinsu, the tent will still sit on six crossbars that span 50” total, but I’m wondering if I’m going to run into issues with wind lift or other sheer forces that would make this setup unsafe. Can’t find data out there save for GFC’s recommendations on their super lite—but that image (attached below) is assuming just two crossbars as far as I can tell and not six.

Thanks for reading, and for any help in advance.

Joel

Attachments

• C2C904F5-73C3-4B7E-972E-8887B1135478.jpeg
    C2C904F5-73C3-4B7E-972E-8887B1135478.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 132
Hey y’all - I’ve got a question regarding mounting a rooftop tent. What is the SAFE distance between mounting points aka cross bars?

I have the prinsu top rack on my leer, and a clamshell RTT. I was previously keeping the first (fore) and last (aft) crossbars on the rack (about 50” span) attached to the tent, however after I rearranged a few things, I’m now going to be forced to use the 3rd and last (30” spread). Given the design of the prinsu, the tent will still sit on six crossbars that span 50” total, but I’m wondering if I’m going to run into issues with wind lift or other sheer forces that would make this setup unsafe. Can’t find data out there save for GFC’s recommendations on their super lite—but that image (attached below) is assuming just two crossbars as far as I can tell and not six.

Thanks for reading, and for any help in advance.

Joel
I think you'll be fine.

Cool— thanks. I suppose I’m making sure there isn’t a horror story out there from someone doing the same thing.
you'll be totally fine. I have the GFC superlite on my prinsu cab rack, not on a bed rack or camper shell. there is quite a bit of overhang in front and in the back. holds up great even after washboard roads. you can check out pics of how mine is mounted on my profile.

you'll be totally fine. I have the GFC superlite on my prinsu cab rack, not on a bed rack or camper shell. there is quite a bit of overhang in front and in the back. holds up great even after washboard roads. you can check out pics of how mine is mounted on my profile.
Perfect that looks pretty similar to the max overhang I’ll have, I appreciate the reassurance. Great looking truck too.

Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse. I just couldn't find a consistent answer.

I am looking to put 17x8.5 -10 Volk Racing TE37XTs (so 4.36 backspacing I believe) on my truck after I take delivery and off-road it bone stock. I am wondering if I have to do some trimming, and how much? I'm also open to getting a custom alignment to make it fit.

I'll be running the wheels with 265/70R17 tires on stock TRDOR suspension. The mudflaps will be taken out. The truck will see off-roading, but not on the more challenging trails yet as I'm a beginner.

Edit: Ooof, looks like I have to trim. Hopefully not too much...

Last edited:
Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse. I just couldn't find a consistent answer.

I am looking to put 17x8.5 -10 Volk Racing TE37XTs (so 4.36 backspacing I believe) on my truck after I take delivery and off-road it bone stock. I am wondering if I have to do some trimming, and how much? I'm also open to getting a custom alignment to make it fit.

I'll be running the wheels with 265/70R17 tires on stock TRDOR suspension. The mudflaps will be taken out. The truck will see off-roading, but not on the more challenging trails yet as I'm a beginner.

Every truck will be a little bit different, but from what I've found, while increasing the negative offset of your wheel will help clear the stock UCA, rubbing can become an issue again due to the wider scrub radius of the tires. That being said, 265/70/17 are only an inch taller than your OEM size of 265/70/16, and the same width at the treads depending on how aggressive a tire you go with. Plus, I've read about folks running 255/80's (33") with reportedly no to minimal rub on stock suspension. Alignment might help if you if you really run into trouble with the cab mount, but my guess is you'll be okay with minimal to no trim. If you're keeping your stock UCA I think they would just need to adjust the lower cams to increase your caster ever so slightly, if at all.

Try plugging your numbers into the following link (I did for you but the results won't care over when I copy the URL). My understanding is the '22 Offroad wheel has +25 offset. It gives you a nice side by side comparison of tire sizes with your relative "distances to fire wall, fender wall, poke, etc" EDIT: There's also a nifty tab for converting your offset number based on backspacing, which would be helpful if you want to get the most precise end result on the formerly described calculations. There is a difference between offset and backspacing, but that's where my ignorance currently makes it's stand.

Good luck!

Last edited:

You should be okay with that tire.

Does anyone make a white Tacoma overlay for the doors or is it only black?

What do you mean by overlay? What part of the door? Inside trim stuff or outside?
The emblem on the outside of the door. All I see are blackout emblems. Is my only option to get the black ones and paint them white?

The emblem on the outside of the door. All I see are blackout emblems. Is my only option to get the black ones and paint them white?
I did some digging myself, seems that you're gonna have to paint them

My 2022, as well as both Corollas that my daughter's own, do not have continuously backlit dashboard. Other than driving around with the parking lights on, is there a way to have the dash lights powered off the ignition?

My 2022, as well as both Corollas that my daughter's own, do not have continuously backlit dashboard. Other than driving around with the parking lights on, is there a way to have the dash lights powered off the ignition?
I like your parking lights idea. Mine isn't continuously back lit either unless the lights are on.

got new tires 265/75/16 KO2 E rated for a decent deal. What are the ride quality differences between Wildpeaks in 265/75/16 SL?My truck is stock besides a prinsu rack. Also will be running these tires as a daily driver 95% on road. Really thinking of switching to SL, but if there are very little to no differences in ride comfort besides mpgs Is it worth it to switch?

Any tricks or tips on carrying a canoe? specifically getting it on and off the roof without trashing any paint or windows. i am planning on the Victory 4X4 rack, that is similar to the prinsu. my FJ was easy from the back but now there's a truck bed in the way. lol.

Back