• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

When does weight become a concern?

My truck is relatively stock still other than a Toytec 3" lift + leafpack and some bigger tires.

I'm about to start adding some weight though.

1) Tonneau (Bakflip),
2) Prinsu Rack,
3) bed bars and an RTT tent on those.
4) bolt on Sliders

Unlikely to go down the new front/back bumper route.

At what point do I need to consider adjustments on my suspension?

When does weight become a concern?

My truck is relatively stock still other than a Toytec 3" lift + leafpack and some bigger tires.

I'm about to start adding some weight though.

1) Tonneau (Bakflip),
2) Prinsu Rack,
3) bed bars and an RTT tent on those.
4) bolt on Sliders

Unlikely to go down the new front/back bumper route.

At what point do I need to consider adjustments on my suspension?
I think you'll be fine. Probably have a slightly nicer ride, even if you lose 1/2 inch of height.

Hello I’m looking at purchasing a 2017 Tacoma sr5 with a lift but it’s a spacer lift I was wondering how hard would it be to go back to stock or a 3.5” lift eventually. My buddy was telling me it can’t be done because of the hassle. I was curious on experienced people’s input here’s a picture of it. The price is good at 28k with 41,000 miles. I just don’t like the 6” spacer and don’t have the money for the lift now to swap it out immediately. Also I don’t plan on doing any off-roading immediately either.
10BE0CCD-1914-4827-926C-A88744678A65.jpeg

Hello I’m looking at purchasing a 2017 Tacoma sr5 with a lift but it’s a spacer lift I was wondering how hard would it be to go back to stock or a 3.5” lift eventually. My buddy was telling me it can’t be done because of the hassle. I was curious on experienced people’s input here’s a picture of it. The price is good at 28k with 41,000 miles. I just don’t like the 6” spacer and don’t have the money for the lift now to swap it out immediately. Also I don’t plan on doing any off-roading immediately either.
10BE0CCD-1914-4827-926C-A88744678A65.jpeg
It's hard to say based on the unknowns of what kind of lift was put on it. Most of the 6" lifts I know of cut a front cross member. Thus if you take the lift off, you will need to repair or replace that cut cross member.

If I remove the rubber boots from my 5100’s, will they be fine? I ask because one of them came permantly warped/twisted and it drives me insane.
I've removed boots from shocks before and had no issues, they are only present to provide an external additional layer of protection from things entering the shock, if you're doing serious off roading I'd keep them on especially in dusty environments but for daily drivers they are pointless unless you like the way they look. I've also de-greased the full exterior of the shock body hung them up and sprayed them with clear enamel a few times to give them a nice layer. Worked great on my old Jeep. 50,000 miles on my BIlstiens and not a single bit of rust.

If I remove the rubber boots from my 5100’s, will they be fine? I ask because one of them came permantly warped/twisted and it drives me insane.

Hello, thinking of waxing my car using a buffer plugged in the 120v outlet, any suggestions before I proceed? I know I have to keep the car running if It’s more than 100watts correct?
Just keep the truck running and expect reduced performance sometimes. I think that outlet in back was more of a emergency / camping idea. That being said, I've used it with a 25ft cord to power a small chainsaw perfectly fine that took down 3-4 inch thick branches on and off roughly 50 times over an hour period with no issue.

What is the best way to level my TRD Sport effectively while maintaining ride quality and maybe adding some off-road capability?

I just purchased my first Tacoma and don't have any knowledge on suspension systems yet. What parts would I need to purchase? Is a spacer kit a bad idea?

(please do not use acronyms because I won't know what you're referencing)

Thanks in advance for any help.

My 4lo occasionally makes a little grinding noise (0.2-0.5 seconds max). How long does it grind?

What is the best way to level my TRD Sport effectively while maintaining ride quality and maybe adding some off-road capability?

I just purchased my first Tacoma and don't have any knowledge on suspension systems yet. What parts would I need to purchase? Is a spacer kit a bad idea?

(please do not use acronyms because I won't know what you're referencing)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Easy answer: Leveling kit from Toyota. Easy, though their installing it is a little expensive.

Regarding suspensions, there's a wealth of information and experience here. There's also three hundred thousand ways to do suspensions, so you really to need to narrow things down to 1) budget ($500? $10k?) and, 2) goal (look cool, ride quality vs performance (a little tension between these, depending...) actually use it for off roading (and what type--sand, rocks, mud, overlanding, all around daily driver?)).

Easy answer: Leveling kit from Toyota. Easy, though their installing it is a little expensive.

Regarding suspensions, there's a wealth of information and experience here. There's also three hundred thousand ways to do suspensions, so you really to need to narrow things down to 1) budget ($500? $10k?) and, 2) goal (look cool, ride quality vs performance (a little tension between these, depending...) actually use it for off roading (and what type--sand, rocks, mud, overlanding, all around daily driver?)).

I am willing to spend whatever is required to achieve the result I want but do not want to spend money for a system I won't use.

I am just wanting it leveled for looks and more clearance in the front. Trying to maintain ride quality and gain offroad performance. Will be using as daily driver, for overlanding, and snow.

I am thinking I will upgrade from stock trd sport shocks and coils to Bilstein 5100 and OME 2888.

If I am only trying to level should I look into new leaf springs as well? All the ones I can find are for lifting which I do not want. Are stock leaf springs trash?

Do I need new UCA as a result of the ~2" lift that I am going for?

I am willing to spend whatever is required to achieve the result I want but do not want to spend money for a system I won't use.

I am just wanting it leveled for looks and more clearance in the front. Trying to maintain ride quality and gain offroad performance. Will be using as daily driver, for overlanding, and snow.

I am thinking I will upgrade from stock trd sport shocks and coils to Bilstein 5100 and OME 2888.

If I am only trying to level should I look into new leaf springs as well? All the ones I can find are for lifting which I do not want. Are stock leaf springs trash?

Do I need new UCA as a result of the ~2" lift that I am going for?
If you're only looking to level, and maintain factory ride, I'd seriously just go with Toyota's leveling kit. It really is the simplest, maintains factory everything, and any issues can be taken up with the dealer.

But, OME makes good suspensions (except for the lead springs, which squeak like crazy). You'll not go wrong with what you mentioned.

No need for uca's with 2 inches.

If you're only looking to level, and maintain factory ride, I'd seriously just go with Toyota's leveling kit. It really is the simplest, maintains factory everything, and any issues can be taken up with the dealer.

But, OME makes good suspensions (except for the lead springs, which squeak like crazy). You'll not go wrong with what you mentioned.

No need for uca's with 2 inches.
What is their leveling kit? 2 spacers on the front?

How big of tires can you go without wanting/needing a regear? Want to upsize tires but also do not want to hurt the drivetrain.

How big of tires can you go without wanting/needing a regear? Want to upsize tires but also do not want to hurt the drivetrain.
Spacers, yes. And re-gearing is arguably something to do on a stock rig, along with a OVtune. But I had reasonable function when I had 33's (285/65/16) on my previous 2016 tacoma. The problem is more rubbing than needing to regear.

What kind of warranty components will I void doing a cab mount chop? Does that immediately invalidate the bumper to bumper?

What kind of warranty components will I void doing a cab mount chop? Does that immediately invalidate the bumper to bumper?

I haven’t had an issue, but that would depend on the dealer you take it to. I wouldn’t worry about it.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of getting aftermarket lift coils for the bilstein 5100s vs keeping stock coils?

Hi, 2020 DCOR I'm about to pull the trigger on some 265/75/16 KO2's; bumping up the size just a little.

I will be using chains in the winter as we get deep intermittent snow on our property.

I'm wondering if I will I have clearance issues with this tire size and snow chains?

Hi, 2020 DCOR I'm about to pull the trigger on some 265/75/16 KO2's; bumping up the size just a little.

I will be using chains in the winter as we get deep intermittent snow on our property.

I'm wondering if I will I have clearance issues with this tire size and snow chains?
1) should be fine.
2) I used ko2's in upstate New York for two winters. Only time I got stuck was when high centered. The ko2's are awesome in the snow.

Are 2nd gen and 3rd gen rear leaf springs identical?
Thx

I'm running A 33x12.50R18 Toyo Open Country M/T does anyone know what's the best Tire Pressure to be running on them?. Its my Daily driver 40 miles round trip

Back