• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

I need some advice. Need to get some new tires. I know there's probably 1000 posts on this but I honestly don't have time to search the world. I have narrowed my choices to KO2 or Falken At3w. Also should I just stay stock or get the 265/75/16s? Pros and cons of each please. Thanks
I have no experience with any Falken tires, but tons with the KO2. The KO's use to chunk and crack pretty good, then BFG took the rubber compound from the KM2's, and made the KO2's. I run KO2's on both my work trucks (a Colorado and a F250), my Moms Jeep (that's how much I trust them!), and my, now, ex-wife's Xterra. This coming thursday I am getting them installed on my new '21 Taco, and I am getting them in 265/75R16 to give me that extra 1/2" clearance over stock. My $0.02...

I need some advice. Need to get some new tires. I know there's probably 1000 posts on this but I honestly don't have time to search the world. I have narrowed my choices to KO2 or Falken At3w. Also should I just stay stock or get the 265/75/16s? Pros and cons of each please. Thanks
My experience is with the KO2s. I second what @Biohazard said. I put over 50k miles on my last set of 35" KO2s before I sold my Jeep (rotated almost every 4k-5k miles - might have been overkill, but they held up and wore evenly). No experience with the AT3W.

I was pretty set on the KO2s until I looked at the price of the two. Are the KO2s that much better?

I was pretty set on the KO2s until I looked at the price of the two. Are the KO2s that much better?
The KO2's are worth their cost, in my opinion. Not sure if they are worth the premium over other tires, but I prefer to skimp on other things.

I can't seem to find 265/75/16s anywhere. But this is the difference from a local place here.
Screenshot_20201204-180631_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Ouch! I'm paying $195 a pop for 265/75R16 from Costco. They are $199 on TireRack. I understand supporting a local place, but $267 a pop is highway robbery!

Ouch! I'm paying $195 a pop for 265/75R16 from Costco. They are $199 on TireRack. I understand supporting a local place, but $267 a pop is highway robbery!
And that's for 265/70/16T

And that's for 265/70/16T
Interesting, 265/70R16 is $265 on Tire Rack and unavailable elsewhere. I just called a buddy in the industry, and 265/70R16 are one of the more requested tire sizes and BFG isn't currently producing that size due to COVID - hence the price.

In this thread, there are no stupid questions. Ask whatever question you need to know about your truck, wheeling, etc. without the stress of being judged or trolled.

For those answering: Give a no-bullshit proper answer/advice to the questions. I don’t care if they’re asking why their push-to-start won’t work. Just tell them that they need their foot on the brak

just a quick question. Eibach pro truck stage 1 or the bilstein 5100 for 3rd gen tacoma

Recommendation on whether I should go with SL or E rated wild peaks?

Does the 2021 model year Carplay connect wirelessly to my phone? or is an aftermarket pairing device like a Cplay2air or Carlinkit needed?
Think of it this way: can you PAIR your phone with a speaker or other device to play music via Bluetooth? Yes. Can you connect apps to that speaker or device via Bluetooth? No. If you plug your phone into a laptop with a usb chord can you share apps, photos, videos etc.? Yes. Same with CarPlay... you have to be hardwired to use imaps and phone apps.

Was under my hood today and noticed my factory battery is leaking 🙄. Looking at upgrading to an agm battery now. specifically looking at the odyssey extreme group 34r. Will this fit the stock battery holder? will my alternator be able to charge this size battery? Is the group 31r a viable option as well? any input is much appreciated.

Was under my hood today and noticed my factory battery is leaking 🙄. Looking at upgrading to an agm battery now. specifically looking at the odyssey extreme group 34r. Will this fit the stock battery holder? will my alternator be able to charge this size battery? Is the group 31r a viable option as well? any input is much appreciated.
I have two Subys and already have had batteries replaced. My understanding the batteries that they put in Japanese cars now are junk. Donuts and high-fives if they get past the year. Probably made in China like everything else

I have two Subys and already have had batteries replaced. My understanding the batteries that they put in Japanese cars now are junk. Donuts and high-fives if they get past the year. Probably made in China like everything else
Yeah truck isn’t even 2 years old and less than 25k miles. Figure I should use this as an opportunity to upgrade all the power since I have a switch pros and I’ll be installing my power trays kit here soon. Better to be prepared for the future mods 🤷🏼‍♂️

Recommendation on whether I should go with SL or E rated wild peaks?
My first thoughts are E rated. To me E rated was a must on my GX470, but a heavier vehicle, because I tore a belt going over rocks with a SL tire. I would estimate the Tacoma is lighter than my GX was with bumpers, skids, etc, so SL tires might be enough unless your carrying some good weight. Also consider where your going with it, I spend a good amount of time on forest like roads in SW Colorado.

Regearing means changing the gears in your front and rear differential. The options that you have to choose from are 4.88 and 5.29. 4.88 is considered the more appropriate choice for people's with tires less than 33 in in diameter and without a ton of weight added like armor and such. If you have a bunch of armor and tires up to 33 or 35-in tires and no weight then 5.29 would be better suited. Expect to spend anywhere from $2,000 to $2,500 to re-gear your truck.

OVtune is a tuning software that has been released by Orange Virus tuning. Mat is the only guy on the planet who has cracked the Tacoma ECU and his software is very good. Currently the new style of OV tune is the VF tuner and expect to pay around $800 for that.

I run both 5.29 gears and OV tune specifically for the gearing.

My personal opinion I wouldn't even bother with a pedal commander. It's just a Band-Aid.
The problem with regearing, as I discovered after the fact, my Tacoma maxes out at 83 mph.

The problem with regearing, as I discovered after the fact, my Tacoma maxes out at 83 mph.

What tire/ gear?

This is a known issue with the 5.29 geared trucks and can easily be fixed with a custom OVTune flash. I program and flash these tunes regularly. My truck can do well into the 90's no problem.

If one wanted/needed to access the roof below the shark fin, does one need to remove the entire headliner?

I can’t see how to do it without removing the whole headliner.

My bed rack broke andd the RTT came down on the shark fin and pushed in the roof. I need to push it back out.

Why couldn’t Toyota come up with a better antenna setup?

If one wanted/needed to access the roof below the shark fin, does one need to remove the entire headliner?

I can’t see how to do it without removing the whole headliner.

My bed rack broke andd the RTT came down on the shark fin and pushed in the roof. I need to push it back out.

Why couldn’t Toyota come up with a better antenna setup?
If you remove the third brake light what does it look like in there? If you remove the headliner I think there are stiffeners that would be in the way anyway.

If you remove the third brake light what does it look like in there? If you remove the headliner I think there are stiffeners that would be in the way anyway.

I don’t think you can peak inside by removing the brake light, but I’ve not tried it.

Why am I suddenly unable to post in buy/sell or rig of the month? I have more than 15 posts, I was able to post in the past, but now I’m unable to and can’t find a reason why?

Why am I suddenly unable to post in buy/sell or rig of the month? I have more than 15 posts, I was able to post in the past, but now I’m unable to and can’t find a reason why?
Tyler is working on the site right now. Theres going to be some hiccups until they are finished. Shouldn't be long man.

looking to install fog lights on my 2017 tacoma sr5. it's a bare bones truck so no factory oem fog lights on it already. therefore, my turn signal does not have the fog light switch part that controls on/off for fog lights. what route should i take to get f.l. installed correctly? i do not want to add a switch because i do not want to leave lights/switch on by accident and kill the battery. looking for suggestions. I was considering having a toyota dealership install the turn signal and any wiring and I guess put stock halogens temporarily unless they will just do the shifter/wiring for me and then i will purchase some aftermarket fog lights and install those for stronger output/LED and not ugly stock yellow halogen. I've heard diode dynamics makes a kit for tacomas that do not already have fog lights from the factory but have not confirmed yet. reached out to the company, waiting for a response. looking for any suggestions that may help me save some money and avoid any problems. I am dead set on installing morimoto xb led headlights and would like to get the matching xb led fogs, however i am open to morimoto headlights and diode dynamic fogs or any other company's fogs so long as there is no technical difficulties running the 2 together. need stronger lighting bc i took a trip out to the middle of nowhere and could barely see with stock headlight low lamps and do not want to be switching between high/low beam when it isnt necessary and do not want to attract police attention by flashing often. also just a general mod i was looking to make to the truck at some point but it is now on the top of the list after not being able to see out in the desert away from city lights and no lights in the streets/highways. any and all help is appreciated!!!!

Attachments

• 20201126_210409.jpg
    20201126_210409.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210208-011130_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-011130_Gallery.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 43
Hello, thinking of waxing my car using a buffer plugged in the 120v outlet, any suggestions before I proceed? I know I have to keep the car running if It’s more than 100watts correct?

Hello, thinking of waxing my car using a buffer plugged in the 120v outlet, any suggestions before I proceed? I know I have to keep the car running if It’s more than 100watts correct?
As long as the truck is running you should be fine, but the buffer may not run at full speed, we used an impact gun with the truck on and it worked but it was weak AF... normal home 120v with a 15amp breaker is delivering 1800watts... a 20amp circuit is up to 2400watts. Even at the 140watts with the truck on you’re more than 10 times less power as a normal wall outlet. Is there a reason for using the truck outlet and not an extension cord from the house or even better usually the garage?

As long as the truck is running you should be fine, but the buffer may not run at full speed, we used an impact gun with the truck on and it worked but it was weak AF... normal home 120v with a 15amp breaker is delivering 1800watts... a 20amp circuit is up to 2400watts. Even at the 140watts with the truck on you’re more than 10 times less power as a normal wall outlet. Is there a reason for using the truck outlet and not an extension cord from the house or even better usually the garage?

Yes I have no garage lol, and the buffer is 120v and only 0.5amps so should be fine?

Yes I have no garage lol, and the buffer is 120v and only 0.5amps so should be fine?
Just used a quick calculator online, 120v at .5a is only 60watts, you should be fine even with the truck off in 100watt, I’d still keep it idling to limit battery drain for the extended timeframe

Back