• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Question: My 2021 is due to arrive in a few weeks. Will the spare wheel and tire under the bed be exactly the same as the four wheels mounted on the truck? (I‘m thinking ahead to buying different tires, and wanting to include the spare in future tire rotations - if it’s identical).
Also - will a stock 16” TRD OR wheel still fit in the spare location if I go up to a 265/75/16?

Spare is full size. Your will be able to fit a 33 in tire.

I’m looking to install bed lights and was wondering if anyone knows where I can tap into a constant 12 volt so I can turn the lights anytime? Thanks
I think you can tap into the cargo light. You might also be able to run directly to the battery with fuse and toggle switch to keep it independent from the factory cargo light.

I’m looking to install bed lights and was wondering if anyone knows where I can tap into a constant 12 volt so I can turn the lights anytime? Thanks
I used a pair of KC Cyclones wired them to my second battery which I have in the bed of the truck but they can easily be wired to the main battery throwing the cables under the truck, I installed a toggle switch in the bed turn them on and off right there, but you could put it in the cab if thats your preference.

And dont even get me started with a A-trac, Possibly one of the best traction systems ive seen, Ive only seen it on 4 runners and it uses brakes to lock up one wheel and send power to the other. Ive seen it work in deep mud, crawling situations and in loose sand. Would definitely want to have A-Trac if i could.
I mean... isn't this the premise of Crawl Control... putting power to the wheels with traction except all you have to do is steer?

Have a fj cruiser with a-trac and a Tacoma trd or. Have to agree that a-trac is outstanding. Crawl control works the same except it gives speed control option. The multi terrain control gives you the ability of controlling the amount of traction needed for the situation ie. sand,rocks, moguls etc. I have the factory e-locker and arb air locker front on both vehicles and very rarely use them.

Question: My 2021 is due to arrive in a few weeks. Will the spare wheel and tire under the bed be exactly the same as the four wheels mounted on the truck? (I‘m thinking ahead to buying different tires, and wanting to include the spare in future tire rotations - if it’s identical).
Also - will a stock 16” TRD OR wheel still fit in the spare location if I go up to a 265/75/16?

Spare is the same size but the rim does not match visually, it's just a steel rim. You can rotate it in but it would look dumb. I was going to do the same thing.

Spare is the same size but the rim does not match visually, it's just a steel rim. You can rotate it in but it would look dumb. I was going to do the same thing.
Thank you! That was the information I was after.

Is there a way to wire up a front and rear locker with the same compressor you want to use as on board air? Is there a way to control them all separately?

Is there a way to wire up a front and rear locker with the same compressor you want to use as on board air? Is there a way to control them all separately?
Does anyone have an example or YouTube link that would help me out on this?

Does anyone have an example or YouTube link that would help me out on this?

I know the premise of how it should work, but I don't know the exact setup. The ARB air compressor has a pretty good setup for this. Their package already comes with a wiring harness to accommodate separate controls of front and rear lockers that can each be wired to a switch. You would need to use an air manifold that is then plumbed to the front and rear lockers.

actually, I just looked through the ARB installation instructions and they have it all laid out there. Air locker wiring starts on page 10.

I know the premise of how it should work, but I don't know the exact setup. The ARB air compressor has a pretty good setup for this. Their package already comes with a wiring harness to accommodate separate controls of front and rear lockers that can each be wired to a switch. You would need to use an air manifold that is then plumbed to the front and rear lockers.

actually, I just looked through the ARB installation instructions and they have it all laid out there. Air locker wiring starts on page 10.
Awesome! Thank you!

Electrical Question.

I've got a small 12 volt 250 amp battery that I'm going to use to power my diesel tent heater.
I don't want to risk waking up to a dead truck battery, so I think I can use this lawn tractor battery instead.
I'd like to charge it back up while driving by using my cig lighter socket and wire direct to the battery.
The cig jumper wire has a built-in 20 amp fuse. Will this work the way I'm thinking? Will it blow the fuse? Do I need a resistor?

Last edited:
I want to go up a size on my stock 265/70/16 tires to Wildpeak AT3 265/75/16 and use the same OEM wheels.
If I use the same rims, and the width of the tire is the same (265mm), the offset is the same with the new tires, yes?
Also, how much will this bigger sized tire change my speedometer & odometer? Is there a way to enter/calibrate the new size into the truck to compensate?

The only real difference you will notice is an increase in traction.

Is there a difference between running boards and rock sliders? Do sliders mount different to give more support against rocks? I’m asking because I’m looking to buy some kind of sidesteps and from what I’ve seen some rock sliders look like they can be used as a step while some running boards have the look of rock sliders. If there is a difference in rigidity I’m thinking of just buying rock sliders and using them as a step. I plan on doing some minor off roading and overlanding in future with my truck.

Is there a difference between running boards and rock sliders? Do sliders mount different to give more support against rocks? I’m asking because I’m looking to buy some kind of sidesteps and from what I’ve seen some rock sliders look like they can be used as a step while some running boards have the look of rock sliders. If there is a difference in rigidity I’m thinking of just buying rock sliders and using them as a step. I plan on doing some minor off roading and overlanding in future with my truck.

Most, if not all, rock sliders can be used as a step. Traditional running boards do not have the strength to withstand impact or upward force applied against them.

Leave steps to the houses. Sliders are what ya want for your truck.

Most, if not all, rock sliders can be used as a step. Traditional running boards do not have the strength to withstand impact or upward force applied against them.

Leave steps to the houses. Sliders are what ya want for your truck.
Thanks for the input! I was thinking right along those lines. Get some rock sliders that work just as good as some traditional running boards and have the strength at the same time to handle whatever I get into in the future.

Thanks for the input! I was thinking right along those lines. Get some rock sliders that work just as good as some traditional running boards and have the strength at the same time to handle whatever I get into in the future.
Do keep in mind when shopping for rock sliders that most of them that looks like steps sit higher (real close to the body) and are more like shin bruisers than a traditional running board used as steps.

Does the 2021 model year Carplay connect wirelessly to my phone? or is an aftermarket pairing device like a Cplay2air or Carlinkit needed?

Does the 2021 model year Carplay connect wirelessly to my phone? or is an aftermarket pairing device like a Cplay2air or Carlinkit needed?

I can’t imagine that wouldn’t. Otherwise, what would be the point?

I can’t imagine that wouldn’t. Otherwise, what would be the point?
I did Some further searching and found an answer:

It only connects to CarPlay when connected to the USB port. You can connect audio and phone via Bluetooth, but not CarPlay

Anyone with a 2020+ know how much space is behind the factory bed lights? thinking about adding some flush mount LED work lights as bed lights to my 2029

Anyone with a 2020+ know how much space is behind the factory bed lights? thinking about adding some flush mount LED work lights as bed lights to my 2029
Post in thread 'Recovering Jeep addict'
Recovering Jeep addict

I installed some bed lights. Is this what you're looking for?

On the factory remote start, anyway to disable the truck from shutting off when you appraoch it and it auto unlocks or you open the door?

I need some advice. Need to get some new tires. I know there's probably 1000 posts on this but I honestly don't have time to search the world. I have narrowed my choices to KO2 or Falken At3w. Also should I just stay stock or get the 265/75/16s? Pros and cons of each please. Thanks

First, can't go wrong with either.

Second, I vote Ko2's. Have had them on my last three rigs (Tacoma, lexus gx, Jeep rubicon) and they are, imho, the best compromise tire out there. Street quiet, only a dedicated snow tire is better in the cold stuff, handles sand and trails without complaint, and will even do mud decently.

I think the falken's are a slightly less aggressive tire that may ride slightly better on road, but that's hearsay, not experience.

Back