• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

I am looking to purchase a 20/21 TRD Pro or TRD off-road 4 door Tacoma. I like the initial look of the Pro (of course) over the off-road.
1. Is it truly worth the cost of the TRD Pro over top of the off-road?
2. Also, what dealership seems to have the best pricing in the country? (I have a ton of miles and can fly anywhere to pickup)
I'll be another one to say you can forego the TRD PRO or even the Offroad packages if you're going to modify. Theres no point in buying a TRDP if all you're going to do is rip all the parts off and replace them. You could actually buy an SR series and build a more capable off road performer than a TRDP for less money. You wont get leather seats or fancy electronics... but that stuff wont get you up the mountain anyway.

Guys running 35s, how often do you break cv axle?
Is a cv joint weaker or stronger than a toyota birfield?

I honestly haven't seen too many CV failures. But I have seen as a bunch of tie rods that break. When I had 35s as well it felt like there was a lot of stress being put on the actual drive train itself. Meaning the inside of the transmission.
I'll be another one to say you can forego the TRD PRO or even the Offroad packages if you're going to modify. Theres no point in buying a TRDP if all you're going to do is rip all the parts off and replace them. You could actually buy an SR series and build a more capable off road performer than a TRDP for less money. You wont get leather seats or fancy electronics... but that stuff wont get you up the mountain anyway.

I wouldn't completely rule off the off road just purely for the fact that you get the locker with it. The Toyota factory locker is actually pretty nice system.

I wouldn't completely rule off the off road just purely for the fact that you get the locker with it. The Toyota factory locker is actually pretty nice system.
I only mentioned it bc I have an SR base model and even with the inevitable ring gear swap every tacoma will need and adding an ARB locker it is still cheaper than going with the Pro trim level. Now I have a compressor, a locker, and the ring gears without paying an extra 17k for a Pro. The toyota E-Locker is stout for sure tho.

If I couldve i wouldve gone for an OR. OEM locker, Bigger Diff, More Tech, OEM black flares, and black interior roof.

I think I would only consider the smaller diff a shortcoming for a serious off roader.
You don't hear much about guys using crawl control.

Last edited:
You also forgot that the sr has a smaller dif, no crawl control or multi terrain select.
People have been wheeling for years without crawl control or terrain select lol. Those guys are the ones who blazed the trails we all use today. Crawl Control and Terrain Select back the was called "throttle control"

People have been wheeling for years without crawl control or terrain select lol. Those guys are the ones who blazed the trails we all use today. Crawl Control and Terrain Select back the was called "throttle control"
I agree with that, I personally would never touch crawl control, but the Inclinometer that comes in the OR can be helpful in off camber situations.
Oem locker takes away the pain of paying 3k out of pocket for a locker, Toyota wont warranty an air locker, or the diff if something does happen. with an oem locker you are covered by warranty.
And dont even get me started with a A-trac, Possibly one of the best traction systems ive seen, Ive only seen it on 4 runners and it uses brakes to lock up one wheel and send power to the other. Ive seen it work in deep mud, crawling situations and in loose sand. Would definitely want to have A-Trac if i could.

IMO a TRD OR is 100% worth it.

All coming from a guy who owns an SR5

What is the upcharge for a TRD off-road compared to an Sr?

Answer, about 8000.00
Sr DCSB V6 4x4 MSRP $32,415
TRD OR DBSB V6 4x4 AT MSRP $37,280

Actual answer $4685

For basically $5,000 you get a bigger diff, OEM locker (with a warranty:eek:) , Tech BS and without a dollar in labor.

I got my SR for 30k. 25k otd after my trade. If I remember correctly the TRDO was going for around 40k +/-
When it comes to mark ups, Any trd is going to get marked up insanely.

Who's mad? Not me! I took off all the trd pro parts with a smile and I gave a lucky board member a really great deal on upgrading his OR into one hell of a badass Frankenstein. What do I care how others spend their money? :)

I'll be honest too.
When we bought the SR last December we had no idea we would be modding it.
That was before the youtube algorithm convinced me I needed to go camping in places that most tourist won't get to.
It would have been a real consideration to get the TRD off road knowing what the truck is evolving into.
Not sure if I'll regret not having a 8.75 ring gear or not
The 8 inch is still pretty stout, but I have not seen much hard data on how much stronger the 8.75 is.

If I upgraded axle I suppose there are lots of options.
Sequoia, land cruiser, trd 8.75, then all the other brands of axle.
Maybe youtube will convince me what axle I need to get.

Im going long travel and dont necesarily love the idea of running spacers to match the width in the rear, axle swap to a wider axle might be the only way. lol

Not mad at all. You asked a question, I gave an answer. We are all old enough to make our own decisions. I really don’t care what you drive.

I am looking to purchase a 20/21 TRD Pro or TRD off-road 4 door Tacoma. I like the initial look of the Pro (of course) over the off-road.
2. Also, what dealership seems to have the best pricing in the country? (I have a ton of miles and can fly anywhere to pickup)

thanks,
Others may have a different point of view, but I ended up saving a lot of money getting the TRD-Offroad and a custom lift + tires & wheels + TRD Pro grill.

With the exception of missing the Pro hood scoop, I think my truck looks way better now than what I would have gotten had I purchased a stock TRD-Pro, which at the time I think was 10 - 12K more. My whole upgrade ran ~7K installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0596_V1.jpg
    IMG_0596_V1.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 53
I don't think any of the responses are because anyone was or is mad. I think people responded because they felt some legitimate considerations were left out and needed to be mentioned for the benefit of searchers of the archive in the future. 👍

thanks,
I bought an “every option” TRDOR (not a Pro) because I got all the features I wanted without paying several thousand more dollars for a skid plate, shocks, and Rigid Industries fog lights. Everything else on the Pro is available on the OR as an option, which worked well for me. The Pros sell a few thousand over MSRP in my area, whereas I got my OR for a couple grand off INVOICE.

If you’ll never modify and are happy with the Pro suspension upgrades, get the Pro. Otherwise, and especially if you’ll ever change the suspension, it’s more money than it’s worth. And... the OR is really, really capable as-is straight off the lot.

I’m looking to install bed lights and was wondering if anyone knows where I can tap into a constant 12 volt so I can turn the lights anytime? Thanks

Pros have better resale value tho. Anything that is commonly sold over MSRP does.

Big factor in my decision to get the pro. That, and never having to search desperately for a hood scoop.

Luxury name brand purses are so overpriced and stupid when you can stitch together the same luxurious purse yourself with cheap aftermarket knock off materials :)

Please, no more purse shaming.

Gucci or Old Navy...
It's all good.
Seriously tho. I wasnt bashing the Pro or anyone who chose to buy it. I simply stated that it is possible to build a reliable trail ready tacoma using the money youd save and get the quality parts youd prefer to have. We all know it's an option that will perform well with the kind of aftermarket parts we have to choose from. 8in rear end or 8.75 rear end. Crawl control or no crawl control. They'll both perform. And we all know you get no warranty love once you change anything regardless of what it was. Change your tire size and they'll link any drive train issue to it. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Disagree. The TRD Pro, specifically in MGM, is the only vehicle on the planet that is worthy of ownership. Anything else is no more than a paperweight, and only purpose is to fall victim to the on and off-road shame delivered by MGM Pro’s. It’s also impossible to improve it. All aftermarket parts fall short of the quality and capability of OEM Pro components. NASA themselves cannot compete with the standard delivered by MGM Pro’s. So enjoy your cute modified OR’s and Sports... I’ll be living in the year 3020 traversing in my fucking spaceship.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the factory E-Locker with an Air locker? Looking at doing a regear and considering putting air lockers in both.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the factory E-Locker with an Air locker? Looking at doing a regear and considering putting air lockers in both.
Yes you can.

I’m loving the CRAWL control. The thing is a beast.

Back