• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Hi! Im new to tacomas and im looking to buy one. What should I be looking for and how do I know which model to choose. Also its great to see so many vets on this page
I would say first you need to figure out what you’re going to use the truck for. Will you be off roading and camping a lot, or will it be more of a daily driver with maybe some light off roading. Knowing what you’ll be using it for can help with choosing a model.

What’s gentlemen just bought my 2020 Tacoma TRD off road a week ago and wanted some advice on different suspensions, wheels, tires and lift kits to get. I want to do a 3in lift and plan on doing a lot of off roading just trying to see what direction to go!
Hey man, what’s your experience with off roading? Lots of directions to take this discussion. Your trd off road is quite capable as is (owned a 2016 trd or and took it all over the place with just some 285’s, a little trimming, and a hidden winch).

3 major factors you need to consider:
1) budget?
2) goals for your rig (rock crawling, trail riding, mud, hunting/adventure rig, overlanding, looks with a nice road ride)
3) willingness to tear into your nice new truck :)

Thank you! Yeah I’ve accepted the idea of the truck getting scratched, dings, and Doing some cuts into it! Really why I bought it to explore and take it mostly trail riding! I heard the best suspension is through king or fox am I wrong?

Towed our 6x10 enclosed trailer today. The sport did well, but I'm wondering if others who tow occasionally use "D" or the "S" mode?

Anyone have good recommendations on interior storage kits for glove and center compartments? I am also looking at redoing some of the interior trim on the knobs and graphics...any suggestions would be extremely helpful!!!

Anyone have good recommendations on interior storage kits for glove and center compartments? I am also looking at redoing some of the interior trim on the knobs and graphics...any suggestions would be extremely helpful!!!
highly recommend MESO Customs for interior trim pieces. I haven’t looked into other storage options for glove and center compartment, haven’t had a real need.

I'm looking to get an OSV (over sand vehicle) permit in Maryland. It says I need a jack that will clear a wheel out of sand. Will the factory jack be adequate? I plan on getting a hi lift jack but if I ordered it now I don't think I'd get it in time for my trip.

I'm looking to get an OSV (over sand vehicle) permit in Maryland. It says I need a jack that will clear a wheel out of sand. Will the factory jack be adequate? I plan on getting a hi lift jack but if I ordered it now I don't think I'd get it in time for my trip.
Yes. You need the hi lift jack, 2x4, rope and all the fun other shit. I just went through that with a Wrangler and we needed the hi lift jack.

Yes. You need the hi lift jack, 2x4, rope and all the fun other shit. I just went through that with a Wrangler and we needed the hi lift jack.
I got all the other stuff just not the jack. Hopefully with my state going into the yellow phase next week I can find one locally.

I got all the other stuff just not the jack. Hopefully with my state going into the yellow phase next week I can find one locally.
Tractor supply would probably have them if you have one of those stores close to you

When calculating which rear leaf spring weight rating you need, is it just total weight of everything you plan on loading in the bed? Or is it the truck all around?

Is there a speedometer calibrator for the 2020 Tacoma or one from a previous year that works ?

Last edited:
Is there a previous model that works for the 20? I reach out to both and they said they only have one available up to 2018

That's tough to answer. I would trust them more than anyone else. Toyota is known for changing the code on the ECU's regularly, so there may be some truth to the Hypertech not working on anything above 2018. I don't have that answer for you. Sorry.

Roof rack recommendations

hello everyone! I am planning on purchasing a roof rack with cut out for lights here shortly and need some recommendations and why they like it. Thanks a bunch!

hello everyone! I am planning on purchasing a roof rack with cut out for lights here shortly and need some recommendations and why they like it. Thanks a bunch!
Would highly recommend UpTOP Overland. They have two price points, Alpha and Bravo and both have built in optionality for front facing light bars and side facing rock lights. The design on their racks is top tier and the customer service is fantastic. I have the Alpha rack w/ the paint match on my truck which you can see in my profile. My opinion is that this rack looks far better than the competitors on the market and the design seems to have a lot more in mind in terms of functionality, although the price reflects these compared to other common roof racks.
https://www.uptopoverland.com/

Other options that people commonly run are Prinsu and Victory 4x4 which should both have the capability of light bar cutouts.

Thanks Joe! I really like the look of the Alpha and it looks like it’s well built. How’s the wind noise? Did you also opt for the “fresh air”? It looks like your in Kirkland, maybe I can check out your setup if possible. Thanks for the information.

Thanks Joe! I really like the look of the Alpha and it looks like it’s well built. How’s the wind noise? Did you also opt for the “fresh air”? It looks like your in Kirkland, maybe I can check out your setup if possible. Thanks for the information.
The alpha is definitely more $ than most competitors on the market, however with the work involved with installing a rack on an access cab i didn't want to settle for anything below my ideal build. No sun roof due to the small cab, so the 'fresh air' option wasn't on the table. There's definitely a few people that complain about wind noise on the larger TacomaWorld thread, however i personally have no issues. They strongly advocate that with proper adjustment of the lightbar behind the fairing cutout that there should only be minimal noise in heavy winds.

Last edited:

hello everyone! I am planning on purchasing a roof rack with cut out for lights here shortly and need some recommendations and wh y they like it. Thanks a bunch!

I went with Victory 4x4. They do offer a 40" cut out, it comes with mounting brackets for a light bar and noise reducing trim. It's also slightly cheaper than a Prinsu rack

Wind noise isn't too bad, I figure what I do hear is the air hitting the light bar.

I went with Sherpa Equipment Company, thought they had the best mounting setup

Back