• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Winch access holes allow you access your winch mainly the neutral lever and have access to your solonoid if need be
I don't really know much about winches, but I assume you want quick access to these? or can they be accessed through the engine bay or underneath?

I don't really know much about winches, but I assume you want quick access to these? or can they be accessed through the engine bay or underneath?
Yes, and yes you do need a access point as the grill assembly and bumper would block majority of the winch

To unspool your winch for instance you need to put the lever normally on the right into neutral, also a lot of external remotes need to plug in, unless you wire in cab winch controls.

I guess it dependable on the situation, personally I want winch controls easily accessible, if I’m in a tough situation I want to winch out of the last thing I want to worry about is reaching the controls.

@tomtaylz gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks! I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper into the winches, and maybe find one that I will plan on buying to plan for it. I don't plan on going on anything too difficult that I might be terribly stuck. I'm a real big fan of a clean look up front I think without the access holes look cleaner. That's just me. ?‍♂️

I have a completely stock 2016 TRD Off-road. Will the stealth custom series F5 wheels stick out further than my stock wheels? How much more for each offset available.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense after reading the thread several times. Ill go with the zero offset.

3D794A44-85B2-475E-8C00-A30FDF7798D4.jpeg

This has probably been beat to death but I have a lift question....

I don't plan on doing any serious off roading in the truck. Mostly daily driving and hauling 4 wheelers with possible "light" trails. But I do want to raise the truck up and put some bigger/aggressive tires on it. I also don't want the ride quality to suffer from any of it.

I have a friend that swears by Bilstein and advised the 5100s in the front and back while also adding a 1in block in the back to help keep it level. That kit says 2in lift which to me doesn't sound like much. I have read lifting much more than that would need to start upgrading other suspension parts. Which I would rather stay away from for now.

So finally to the question. Is 2in lift worth spending the money on? And are the shocks the better avenue over something like ready lift (spacers and blocks)?

Better value is up to you. Personally I would avoid a block lift at all costs. It doesn't increase the capability of your suspension at all and could lead to other problems down the road, if you offroad it. An add a leaf in the rear is a better option if you want to keep costs low. The 5100shocks will definitely be an improvement over stock.

What’s up all!
I’m pretty new to the forum, like a couple of days new and I’m liking everything I’ve seen.

Anyone have any recommended methods on de-badging?

The fishing line method works great, but after that you're left with the goo. Before you start head to an auto paint store or try Amazon for a rubber eraser style wheel for the end of a drill. Eats the goo off the paint in minutes and doesn't harm the clear coat.

Need some suggestions for tow straps. Or snatch straps. Which one is more versatile? Thanks

Snatch straps and tow straps are entirely different. Snatch straps are designed to stretch and absorb then transfer the dynamic load of a snatch recovery to the vehicle being recovered.

Tow straps are not designed to take the impact of a dynamic recovery and may fail of used that way. The are designed for non impact tow operations.

I carry a snatch strap and it has been quite handy and I have used it for both snatch and non impact tow recoveries.

Heres my stupid question. I have a 16 DCLB with a shell (bro lean) and sliders, which is basically going to be a DD, with only mild OR and foul weather mountain winter driving. So my issue is how to deal with the incessant hunting of the transmission. I am leaning towards 4.88's, but another issue is the delayed transmission engagement when descending a grade in second, theres a stall before the trans reengages. Also it takes a lot of throttle pedal travel before the thing goes, and near whiplash when it catches. Typical complaints. I had the TSB 0058 done but it didn't do shit. Maybe if someone can comment on my options. They are:
1. Gears may work, but will that lead to other mods? Running 32" now, I run at 75 on highway if that turns out to be too low, may have to go to a larger tire. That means a lift.
2. I like the stock ride now and don't really want a stiffer ride, so would the 1" front spacer and rear AAL and/or 1.5-2" block work? If not advised Id consider the best way to level the truck with minimal lift. I run Toyo AT 265/65-17 and would not want to eventually go larger than 265/75-17, I think that is the largest number to go without a major lift. (cant go too high, wife has issues getting in and out).
3. As far as shifting issues, Im not so sure the gears would solve both issues. It may stop the hunt, but that wont help delays in shifting Im sure, so that brings up the OV tune or Ive read about this SSP kit that alters the TPS inputs to the trans control module. Can anyone with experience with these issues comment?
Thanks for any inputs.

1. For your weight and tire size 4.88 will likely work great. If you did go with a bigger tires I'd go 5.29. Which is where I'm headed.

2. I'd go with an add a lift on the rear. You'll get the small level you want to support the shell while increasing the shock length travel permitted. If you add a block, you won't be taking full advantage of any shock upgrades.

3. OVTune entirely reprograms the shift logic of the truck. It's not perfect but it's way better than stock. Way better. And Mat (the owner of OVTune) is constantly making improvement to the programming. Shift Sense Pro is designed to increase the transmission of, and the reaction speeds of the inputs communicated from the pedal to the transmission. All it does is speed up the process. Which for some is exactly what they want. The shift logic remains the same as before, but the speed at which the transmission reacts to your inputs is increased.

Snatch straps and tow straps are entirely different. Snatch straps are designed to stretch and absorb then transfer the dynamic load of a snatch recovery to the vehicle being recovered.

Tow straps are not designed to take the impact of a dynamic recovery and may fail of used that way. The are designed for non impact tow operations.

I carry a snatch strap and it has been quite handy and I have used it for both snatch and non impact tow recoveries.

Any recommendations on brand or length?

I’m looking at putting together a complete tool kit to keep in the truck. I’ve searched around the forum and can’t seem to find a thread, if there is one can someone point me in the correct direction, if not I can start a thread so we can get everyone’s input on tools they carry down trail

Any recommendations on brand or length?

Any rated straps will work fine. I have a 30' Smittybilt, but there's plenty of others.

I’m looking at putting together a complete tool kit to keep in the truck. I’ve searched around the forum and can’t seem to find a thread, if there is one can someone point me in the correct direction, if not I can start a thread so we can get everyone’s input on tools they carry down trail

I don't think we have a thread like that. Would definitely be a good one to start. You could make a what's in your tool kit post. It could be quite handy for others.

I just keep a cheap harbor freight toolkit in my back seat. I’d probably add a breaker bar too if I wheeled Hard. But I used That little kit to put my rock sliders on the my tonneau cover and lights and light bars too. Harbor freights the way to go for stuff like that

I just keep a cheap harbor freight toolkit in my back seat. I’d probably add a breaker bar too if I wheeled Hard. But I used That little kit to put my rock sliders on the my tonneau cover and lights and light bars too. Harbor freights the way to go for stuff like that
Harbor freight hand tools are awesome, power tools....not so much

Harbor freight hand tools are awesome, power tools....not so much
Yeah power tools I gotta Go with Milwaukee. And anything with impact like chisels I’ll spend the extra money on for something good. But for the truck I got the 99 piece kit that was like 30 bucks or around there

Any rated straps will work fine. I have a 30' Smittybilt, but there's plenty of others.

I don't think we have a thread like that. Would definitely be a good one to start. You could make a what's in your tool kit post. It could be quite handy for others.

I like this idea.

Up until i bought my 19 Taco in April I had never been involved or even been in a 4x4 vehicle.
2 Noob questions.
1- What is the purpose of a snorkel in any truck?
2- What is a locker and how do you use it? I've read the terms "air locker", "electric/electronic locker", "mechanical locker"??
Thanks. :oops:

Up until i bought my 19 Taco in April I had never been involved or even been in a 4x4 vehicle.
2 Noob questions.
1- What is the purpose of a snorkel in any truck?
2- What is a locker and how do you use it? I've read the terms "air locker", "electric/electronic locker", "mechanical locker"??
Thanks. :oops:

The factory Tacoma draws air from in the fender well, so when offroad that air can be very dusty. This can lead to issues of shorter filter life and the potential for dirt getting into the engine.
So a snorkel's primary purpose is to raise the location that the truck draws air into the filter system to a higher point. This allows the truck to "breathe cleaner." Many people think the snorkel is for driving through deep water, and while yes it may help in that situation, be aware that some snorkels aren't as sealed as others and may not be providing the snorkel effect you are looking for in that situation.

A locker is a traction control system that "locks" the two wheels on the same axle to spin at the same rate. This allows both tires to grip better in slippery situations. An unlocked differential will allow power to be transferred to the wheel on the axle with the least amount of traction. Meaning if the rear axle of your truck comes off the ground there is a chance the one tire in the air will do all the spinning and the tire on the ground will just stop. The locker makes it so when the tire in the air is up the tire that remains on the ground will still receive power and therefore still be able to push or pull the truck.

An air locker is just a locker that uses air pressure to activate the locker system. Air lockers are usually aftermarket. The 3rd gen Tacoma has the option for an electronic locker or e-locker. It basically uses an electric current to activate the locker inside the rear differential.

The locker in the 3rd gen can only (from the factory) be used when in 4wd and in low range (4lo). Refer to your owners manual for the specifics on how to engage and disengage, but I will say it's a good idea to go find some easy to drive dirt and practice how to get the truck in and out of 4lo and activate the locker per the manual before you are on the trail stuck at a crazy angle trying to figure out how to use it.

Clear and to the point. Now I understand, thanks for taking the time to answer/educate fellow forum members.

I’m looking to upgrade my Fogs with Baja Designs SAE but I’m worried it will blind other drivers on the road since my fogs are higher than stock due to my 3” lift. Has anyone experienced any issues with upgrading their fogs on a lifted Tacoma?

I’m looking to upgrade my Fogs with Baja Designs SAE but I’m worried it will blind other drivers on the road since my fogs are higher than stock due to my 3” lift. Has anyone experienced any issues with upgrading their fogs on a lifted Tacoma?

Depending on which lenses you use, and ensuring they are adjusted properly you may actually be fine considering the fogs are SAE approved for use on the street. I have the non SAE versions. I use them off road for visibility to other vehicles in dusty conditions and I have driven back onto pavement into town and forgot they were on multiple times. I have yet to be high beamed back.

As a general rule it's good and courteous to only use fogs when the situation dictates their need. By even asking you are already showing more regard than many.

I'd make sure they are installed and aimed properly and use them when needed and you'll likely be fine.

Im with Andy on this, the key word is "adjusted". So many people lift their trucks and never readjust the lights, that's as bad as someone putting HID's in a reflector housing. I am waiting for my squadron sport amber cornering/fog lights. They will be here Tuesday.

My truck has a ceramic coating on the paint. If I remove the bed-side decals, will it be obvious there’s no ceramic coat? Do I need to get it redone at that point? She’s already covered in pinstripes so I don’t think that’s the answer. Trying to determine if there will be an obvious rectangle where the decals once were.

If I were to buy TRD Pro lights, what would be required to shove them in my sr5? sorry, I'm an electrical moron...

My truck has a ceramic coating on the paint. If I remove the bed-side decals, will it be obvious there’s no ceramic coat? Do I need to get it redone at that point? She’s already covered in pinstripes so I don’t think that’s the answer. Trying to determine if there will be an obvious rectangle where the decals once were.

I'm honestly not sure if you'll have the outline of the sticker in the ceramic coating. I'd call the place you got it done and see what they say.

If I were to buy TRD Pro lights, what would be required to shove them in my sr5? sorry, I'm an electrical moron...

Not sure. I don't know if the factory SR5 harness has the wiring for the LEDs.

I can ask my friend who does professional auto detailing and ceramic coating and get back to you

I'm honestly not sure if you'll have the outline of the sticker in the ceramic coating. I'd call the place you got it done and see what they say.

Not sure. I don't know if the factory SR5 harness has the wiring for the LEDs.
I would venture to guess that the SR harness is terminated at where the LEDs would plug in. Most mfg'ers make one harness and terminate them on vehicles that dont have those options. It would be cost prohibitive to make a variety of harness' for different trim levels. At least thats what I have seen over the years.

I talked to my friend about your query. He said that you would be able to tell where the stickers were...especailly when its wet. He said when its dry and clean, you would most likely need to be looking for it to see it, but if its dirty or wet, easily noticeable. Hope that helps somehow.

Back