• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Right on dude! Lets see this thang!
I’ve owned this for 12 hours and I’m trying to get everything “extra” put on this week..lol. My wheels got delayed until tomorrow and my new grill order was messed up.

So far installed: homelink rearview mirror, some exterior chrome/sticker delete, bed lights, and fighting with a tonneau cover.

Tomorrow and Friday, Running boards, wheels, and interior chrome delete.

I need to pace myself.

Attachments

• 6F7E897B-0037-41E1-BBE5-A2766EF87CAA.jpeg
    6F7E897B-0037-41E1-BBE5-A2766EF87CAA.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 4488B4D1-D15C-4B22-A099-3F43A96E2376.jpeg
    4488B4D1-D15C-4B22-A099-3F43A96E2376.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 55
  • D81671E8-320B-4E1A-8DA5-553B1CF588C5.jpeg
    D81671E8-320B-4E1A-8DA5-553B1CF588C5.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 61
I’ve owned this for 12 hours and I’m trying to get everything “extra” put on this week..lol. My wheels got delayed until tomorrow and my new grill order was messed up.

So far installed: homelink rearview mirror, some exterior chrome/sticker delete, bed lights, and fighting with a tonneau cover.

I need to pace myself.
Where did you end up finding the Homelink mirror? I miss my Homelink on my last car.

Is it normal on 3rd gen Tacos to get squeal when turning the steering wheel about 80%? … I am not fully locking out the wheel and it squeals a lot. Dealer says its fine…. 2021 SR5 with just over 10k.

Thanks!

Is it normal on 3rd gen Tacos to get squeal when turning the steering wheel about 80%? … I am not fully locking out the wheel and it squeals a lot. Dealer says its fine…. 2021 SR5 with just over 10k.

Thanks!
That's not normal steering behavior for any kind of vehichle other than a 1976 IH 686 tractor

Thanks!
May want to check your power steering belt and/or pump. That shouldn't be happening on a truck that new.

Anyone any experience with a location of a constant 12 volt that I can tap my bed lights on? Thanks
Matt Gecko LED Bed Lights are what you are looking for.... I just installed mine and their kill switch is installed in the bedside compartment in the back. Makes for super easy use. Just my suggestion. https://mattgeckoleds.com/

Last edited:

I need to pace myself.
Looks great, C!

Thanks!
Any suspension mods? Wheels/tires? Noise coming from front or rear?

That's not normal steering behavior for any kind of vehichle other than a 1976 IH 686 tractor
That was more or less my feeling! Thanks.
May want to check your power steering belt and/or pump. That shouldn't be happening on a truck that new.
I will check those in the morning first thing, thank you.
Any suspension mods? Wheels/tires? Noise coming from front or rear?
No, unfortunately still stock, aside from the window tint lol. The sounds seems to be coming from up front and I primarily notice it when turning into my parents' driveway which is on a very slight incline. Thanks for responding.

That was more or less my feeling! Thanks.

I will check those in the morning first thing, thank you.

No, unfortunately still stock, aside from the window tint lol. The sounds seems to be coming from up front and I primarily notice it when turning into my parents' driveway which is on a very slight incline. Thanks for responding.
Only when you turn up onto an incline? Any parts of your fender liner sticking out? Look around for rub marks. Anytime I heard a squeal it was the tire rubbing. I usually only hear a sound when turning onto my driveway. It's also at an incline. Shouldn't really hear much when it's stock though.

Yes it’s really heard turning into my parents’ driveway, but it’s hardly much of an incline, or when I loop around at the end of the cul de sac. None of the fender liner appears to be sticking out. The belts seem to be fine, but I honestly didn’t do more than a quick check today due to weather. I have to investigate more tomorrow. It’s definitely a mechanical squeal versus rubbing. Thanks for the response to help

Squeal = power steering pump problem. You may need to check the tensioner on the belt, it is probably too loose.
Thank you @Biohazard ! I actually kept meaning to download the manual again to check about that, and like I said above the weather worked against me today. Will check it out tomorrow and update… thanks!
For the duration of the turn? Does it fluctuate as RPMs change? What if you went really slow on flat ground? Fluid good?
It does it for the duration of the turn when it does it—and even when I’m not at full turn lockout. I only notice it when I am going slow, so the rpm never really fluctuates in these situations… but I’ll pay more attention at difference speeds (and try to open my window and keep the music off lol). I honestly haven’t checked the fluid myself yet and will make sure I do tomorrow! (Might be low like my transmission fluid was!). Thanks again @bonifacio !

Thank you @Biohazard ! I actually kept meaning to download the manual again to check about that, and like I said above the weather worked against me today. Will check it out tomorrow and update… thanks!

It does it for the duration of the turn when it does it—and even when I’m not at full turn lockout. I only notice it when I am going slow, so the rpm never really fluctuates in these situations… but I’ll pay more attention at difference speeds (and try to open my window and keep the music off lol). I honestly haven’t checked the fluid myself yet and will make sure I do tomorrow! (Might be low like my transmission fluid was!). Thanks again @bonifacio !
Don't forget to check your head light fluid. They can squeal too if you don't use the proper Toyota brand halogen type.

Well finally got to check under the hood today… fluid was perfect, the belt tension did not have too much play but might be a little looser than spec. I will be investigating this further…. Thanks again everyone!

(side note: found the dealer left my air box unclamped after my 10k service… imagine how pleased that made me and how much confidence I have in the dealership now!)

I’d like it more if i didnt have the sensors and need that cover that stands out like a sore thumb

I’d like it more if i didnt have the sensors and need that cover that stands out like a sore thumb
AJT has a TSS relocation bracket. Don't know if that would hide it better for what you would want.
I guess Ares and Jomax make them too. Bunch of options.

img_20200110_140304-jpg.378314

7s0lgw8fs93qzzqzcglaptlxseraha0_lppz-gv1_aff487dd4c6c66eb6f1617b2ad0a0b2f3e658650-jpg.177530

b9522cb6-3eb7-44e8-a311-4ff2b531f7c6-jpg.163495

0aa47c0a-cd40-4aaf-9fbb-d92799cca329-jpg.243108

Last edited:
Is it true that if you lift your truck the TSS sensor no longer works properly? Does that relocator bracket fix this issue? Also, wouldn't it think the grille is a vehicle in front of you if mounted behind?

Is it true that if you lift your truck the TSS sensor no longer works properly? Does that relocator bracket fix this issue? Also, wouldn't it think the grille is a vehicle in front of you if mounted behind?

Sometimes it effects the sensor, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to depends on lift height and rake. The sensor itself I'm guessing senses metal mass, so it bypasses the plastics. The sensor is held onto plastic studs/nubs by locking washers. I've heard of some people using spacers to adjust the angle. But it would only be angled upward. Sometimes it doesn't effect some trucks at all.

Not sure if I am doing this right. This is my first posted question.

I know I have an off-road V6 truck, but I still commute a fair amount by highway, has anyone seen any improvement in mpg running higher tire pressure or in S6 mode?

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure if I am doing this right. This is my first posted question.

I know I have an off-road V6 truck, but I still commute a fair amount by highway, has anyone seen any improvement in mpg running higher tire pressure or in S6 mode?

Thanks for the advice.
you'll get a tad more mpg, but a bumpier ride. I wouldn't go above the tire recs (45psi), and remember that you'll also wear out the center of your tread more quickly, necessitating earlier replacement and probably negating most of your mpg gains.

S6 will hold your shifts longer, and will get worse gas mileage.

Ways to get better mileage:
1) OV tune with something like Valley runner's economy tune (if you have a windows computer, $350 for the ov tune kit and about $30 or $40 for valley runner's economy tune)
2) don't use AC
3) drive as close to 55mph as possible
4) use your brakes as little as possible (if you use brakes, you've wasted your gas in needless acceleration.
6) Add the stock front wind dam if your truck doesn't have it

Can someone tell me what the real world difference is with the recycle air button for the A/C? 😳

D963A03A-F0EE-4B1C-8239-1D6DB640559A.jpeg

Back