• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Anyone with a Maxx Modular rack?

Awells1234

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
I’m looking to see if anyone has a Maxx Modular rack on their Tacoma and how they like it. Currently I have Billie Bars but am trying to maximize storage and accessibility on my truck which isn’t going well ( see my Wilco experience thread).

My bed space is limited with my spare tire in the bed and how my bed cover locks. I have no space inside the bed to mount an axe, shovel, Rotopax, gas cans, fishing gear etc because of it so I wanted to find a tonneau compatible rack to mount additional items and like the ability to mount everything inside the rack so things aren’t hanging off the side.

I have a Max Modular Aluminum 18" with Tonneau Cover brackets and a Retrax composite bed cover, the brackets that wrap under the cover. The new mounts that bolt directly to the Retrax covers were not out when I purchased mine.
I am happy with it. I have blasted my truck through the Socal desert faster than I should have. Its a solid rack. I have a Tepui ruggedized Atuana tent that weighs 200lbs. I run 2 rotopax, and axe/shovel right now when loaded to camp. with that weight the rack has been absolutely solid. You just need to check the mounting bolts once in a while after a hard off-road trip. I had them come slightly loose when the rack was new.
I haven't purchased from or delt with Max Modular (KB Voodoo) since I bought my rack, but when I was researching before my purchase, he was very responsive to emails with questions. Shipping time was accurate and the packaging was quality (no marks on anything and came with some extra fasteners).
My truck is a daily driver and sits outside in all weather. The rack is not rusting and the powder coat is in good condition after 2 plus years.
I read your Wilco post, I would have lost my shit.
Have you looked at the Rigdsupply Ultra swing? Its aTire swing that also mounts into the hitch, but in my opinion, Is light years ahead of Wilco in function and build quality. You pay for it though, it's expensive.
Hope this helps.

I have a Max Modular Aluminum 18" with Tonneau Cover brackets and a Retrax composite bed cover, the brackets that wrap under the cover. The new mounts that bolt directly to the Retrax covers were not out when I purchased mine.
I am happy with it. I have blasted my truck through the Socal desert faster than I should have. Its a solid rack. I have a Tepui ruggedized Atuana tent that weighs 200lbs. I run 2 rotopax, and axe/shovel right now when loaded to camp. with that weight the rack has been absolutely solid. You just need to check the mounting bolts once in a while after a hard off-road trip. I had them come slightly loose when the rack was new.
I haven't purchased from or delt with Max Modular (KB Voodoo) since I bought my rack, but when I was researching before my purchase, he was very responsive to emails with questions. Shipping time was accurate and the packaging was quality (no marks on anything and came with some extra fasteners).
My truck is a daily driver and sits outside in all weather. The rack is not rusting and the powder coat is in good condition after 2 plus years.
I read your Wilco post, I would have lost my shit.
Have you looked at the Rigdsupply Ultra swing? Its aTire swing that also mounts into the hitch, but in my opinion, Is light years ahead of Wilco in function and build quality. You pay for it though, it's expensive.
Hope this helps.
Thanks man. I’m actually going to try the new 6.5 brackets from Billie Bars since they offered to exchange the brackets I had for a reasonable fee. They have great customer service so I’d like to continue to try to support them and wanted to give the new brackets a shot first. The new brackets should give me some extra mounting points I’m looking for. I’m also going to try to mod my tonneau cover and see if I can gain some mounting space back in the bed.

Re: the Rigd Ultra Swing, I did look at them but Wilco Offroad was priced better with the .mil discount they offered, it was advertised as being a universal fit, and they had the quickest lead time so I could have the product installed by the time I started summer break. I have some time to plan so I may look into a new bumper with a swing out.

Last edited:
Back