• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Anyone running aftermarket head units?

XxMagpulxX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Specifically the Alpine Halo 9 ILX-F409?

I have questions before I buy this bad boy.

What is your question?

I swapped to a CarTimeHome T9 PX6. There is a new version out and it's a fraction of the cost of most others.
The new version is like $550 and there's a discount somewhere. Full Android. All features. Everything plug and play. They include everything. You just have to go through the settings and set it up. They have a guide you follow and just match the settings. Pretty easy stuff.

I need to know if the Alpine unit stops you from changing playlists and such while driving. My Camry wont let me change playlists when the car is moving. Its the most aggravating thing when you are on a road trip. I dont want to have this problem when I am in my truck too.

Like @bonifacio I too swapped to an Android unit. Mines the Joying. Full wireless CarPlay. Newer versions also get wireless AA. My only complaint is the mic built in isn't loud enough for others on the other end of convo to hear me. A fix would be buy a mic or factory mic adapter (which I'll be doing soon). I think I paid like $330 shipped.
014F33F8-7485-4556-A989-3664386EDAB5.jpeg

Like @bonifacio I too swapped to an Android unit. Mines the Joying. Full wireless CarPlay. Newer versions also get wireless AA. My only complaint is the mic built in isn't loud enough for others on the other end of convo to hear me. A fix would be buy a mic or factory mic adapter (which I'll be doing soon). I think I paid like $330 shipped.
014F33F8-7485-4556-A989-3664386EDAB5.jpeg

So you'll have to rerun a new mic all the way up or wait for Tombit to make more adapters.
Plug it in and use the factory mic. :)
Is your mic in the top corner of the headunit too?

So you'll have to rerun a new mic all the way up or wait for Tombit to make more adapters.
Plug it in and use the factory mic. :)
Is your mic in the top corner of the headunit too?

That's the one I've been looking at. I may just order a cheapie off the interwebs and run it up the A Pillar for now. I hate talking on the phone anyways, so I may not :ROFLMAO:

I need to know if the Alpine unit stops you from changing playlists and such while driving. My Camry wont let me change playlists when the car is moving. Its the most aggravating thing when you are on a road trip. I dont want to have this problem when I am in my truck too.
That's dumb. What media are you using? Are you navigating on a flash drive? Using an app?
If it's an issue I would just run it from the phone and A2DP it. Then control it from the phone.

Found this:

Only says you can't watch videos or things that require your prolonged attention. Might fall under "prolonged attention"

One thing you could so is just unplug the speed sensor pin on the head unit harness.
Just de-pin it from the connector. You can see here it's the green one.
This stops the head unit from thinking the truck is moving. It will still update on GPS by the GPS antenna, just not speed sensor.

This unlocks video while in motion and allows full function use of the head unit. No damage and keep the ability to revert back for any reason.

414m7Ht17WL.jpg

You could purchase the A/V adapter and it just goes in between the harness and headunit if you don't want to just unplug it.
They really just threw on a male and female connector on it so you could just unplug it.

Dug this up in the Service Manual:

6phx3r.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, its the factory unit in the Camry. I just dont wanna spend the money on the Alpine Unit and then have the same problem.

Back