• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Anyone interested in a YouTube-like website for truck stuff?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Think: YouTube, but for our specific truck related interests.

Original, on-topic videos by the person that uploads it.

Nicely organized by sub-categories, such as: tutorials, reviews, rock crawling videos, overland trip videos, trucks by make and model, DIY stuff like fabricating, etc.

Basically, every video on the website would be original content that has something to do with the truck / 4x4 / DIY / outdoors community.

Seem cool?

As a creator of truck videos, what's my motivation for posting content? YouTube is a steady revenue stream for me. Any new site is going to be more work for less reward.

As a viewer, I can already get that via YouTube search and algorithm and I don't have to sign up for anything, remember to sign into anything and deal with low budget apps and buggy websites. I subscribe to Motortrend, but their app for the Apple TV (the only place I watch stuff) is terrible. And I forget to even check it for months at a time. Additionally, any new site is going to be mostly full of content from smaller creators who can't find an audience on YouTube, or who have yet to find an audience on YouTube. As they grow, they follow the money and the audience back to YouTube.

Unless you're talking about one person, or an affiliated group who has an outsized following already creating content on a particular website I think it's a loosing proposition. Over the last 15 years all the smaller niche video sites have disappeared or sunken into obscurity as viewers are drawn to the larger content pool of YouTube. If any new video platform is going to succeed, they're going to have to use their venture capital to pay creators for their efforts from the start.

The one thing that WILL draw users to a niche site is community. You have community here. I'd say incorporate Video into this forum.

-M

As a creator of truck videos, what's my motivation for posting content? YouTube is a steady revenue stream for me. Any new site is going to be more work for less reward.

As a viewer, I can already get that via YouTube search and algorithm and I don't have to sign up for anything, remember to sign into anything and deal with low budget apps and buggy websites. I subscribe to Motortrend, but their app for the Apple TV (the only place I watch stuff) is terrible. And I forget to even check it for months at a time. Additionally, any new site is going to be mostly full of content from smaller creators who can't find an audience on YouTube, or who have yet to find an audience on YouTube. As they grow, they follow the money and the audience back to YouTube.

Unless you're talking about one person, or an affiliated group who has an outsized following already creating content on a particular website I think it's a loosing proposition. Over the last 15 years all the smaller niche video sites have disappeared or sunken into obscurity as viewers are drawn to the larger content pool of YouTube. If any new video platform is going to succeed, they're going to have to use their venture capital to pay creators for their efforts from the start.

The one thing that WILL draw users to a niche site is community. You have community here. I'd say incorporate Video into this forum.

-M
Yes

If its subscription based im payin lol

-M
I'm thinking the same way as Mike.

YouTube really does have a strangle hold on the content stream. However, what may be unique is creating a website that doesn't necessarily focus as competition for YT but instead benefits from YT's content. Instead of creating your own hosting platform, you would create a domain based "channel" with specific features and content sections that can be individually curated by administrators, moderators or contributors. One could also allow individual content creators to submit their video links for review and potential approval by the team to be "featured" or added to this content platform.

This way, you're allowing users to use a video service that already exists and has actual ability for monetary gain for the creator while offering an alternative resource that people can trust to find good videos instead of sifting through all the junk found in Browse or Search results.

Maybe something akin to an eMagazine but with videos only.

-M
Glad you asked. Thanks for the well thought out post.

Some incentives to use the site:

— Easier to be seen as a smaller creator

— Easier to be seen in general because the niche is specific. The audience chose to come to the site for content like yours. Whereas with YouTube, your videos are mixed into a sea of billions of other videos. I watch thousands of truck related videos on YouTube, but have I ever come across your channel? Probably not. (This is not directed at you specifically.)

About the buggy websites:

Every website has bugs, YouTube included. Instagram (the app), too. They’re annoying but they usually get fixed.

About a new site mostly being filled with newer creators that can’t get traction on YouTube:

I think this is actually a good thing. Kind of similar to how TW is much bigger than T3G but a lot of people prefer T3G to TW because of this.

About those new creators gaining traction on the new site and moving back to YouTube to follow the money:

That seems fine. It’s completely understandable if they choose that route. Personally though, I like my hobbies to stay hobbies. Nowadays, it’s rare to find people doing something solely from passion without trying to milk it for money.

The new site would probably consist of people not looking to make money, at least from the site itself. Hypothetically, they could get popular enough that brands are wanting to sponsor them anyway? Idk.

For me though, I prefer genuine content. Most of my favorite channels from years ago are completely sold out now and impossible to watch without feeling like I’m watching a robot that’s programmed to “review” something and sell it to you at the same time.

This is why I have turned down so many paid advertisement requests on the T3G forum and Instagram account. I hate that stuff and I’m not looking for the money from it, so it won’t be on my website(s).

About the community stuff:

For me, this is exactly it. I’m a community driven enthusiast — not an affiliate / marketing / social status type. We have tight community here. As I said earlier, we’re a fraction of the size of TW yet there are people that choose to use this forum because of its community and also its niche — 3rd Gen. instead of all Tacomas.

If that formula could be carried over to a video site, it might have potential. If it had a tight, respectful, knowledgeable, and inviting atmosphere, plus the specific niche of truck stuff, people might be interested?

About putting videos here:

I was actually looking into that first. While you can already upload videos here, and you can view them in our media gallery (Media), and I could add many more categories to make it better, there’s one big problem: uploading videos here does not transcode them to lightweight / fast loading / cross-compatible files, the way a dedicated video hosting site would.

A few other thoughts:

Both this site currently, and the hypothetical new site, would be able to automatically embed your already uploaded videos from YouTube by just pasting the link. It would then appear like an uploaded video on the other sites but it would actually be your YouTube video and count the analytics on YouTube. This is an option.

Some reasons why I get frustrated with YouTube:

— I CAN’T STAND all of the clickbait titles and thumbnails

— I don’t like how most of the popular channels feel like one big advertisement

— I don’t like all the ads but I use an ad blocker anyway

— I have trouble finding videos. There’s just so many. And I don’t think the algorithm is that good anymore. YouTube wants me to watch crap I have no interest in. But when I try to dig deep about, say, rock crawling, I’ll get through the top 15 videos or so and then it starts to get hard to find the quality content that is hidden away on smaller channels

That said, the new site would ideally be very organized with useful categories and video tags, completely free of ads like T3G, reporting clickbait would be encouraged, all content would have to be original and not just re-uploads of 240p videos from 2003, etc.

This is just an idea. You guys probably know by now that I get a lot of “good” ideas that don’t last more than a week. :unsure:

YouTube really does have a strangle hold on the content stream. However, what may be unique is creating a website that doesn't necessarily focus as competition for YT but instead benefits from YT's content. Instead of creating your own hosting platform, you would create a domain based "channel" with specific features and content sections that can be individually curated by administrators, moderators or contributors. One could also allow individual content creators to submit their video links for review and potential approval by the team to be "featured" or added to this content platform.

This way, you're allowing users to use a video service that already exists and has actual ability for monetary gain for the creator while offering an alternative resource that people can trust to find good videos instead of sifting through all the junk found in Browse or Search results.

Maybe something akin to an eMagazine but with videos only.
This is a great idea and I mentioned it’s an option in my post above. A new site could have only hosted videos, only links to YouTube videos in a nicely organized directory like you described, or a mix of both.

Having the site primarily curate the truck videos by embedding the YouTube videos into the site’s categories might actually be the most viable option.

This is a great idea and I mentioned it’s an option in my post above. A new site could have only hosted videos, only links to YouTube videos in a nicely organized directory like you described, or a mix of both.

Having the site primarily curate the truck videos by embedding the YouTube videos into the site’s categories might actually be the most viable option.
I have a WordPress theme on my site that is designed specifically to be that. I don't know that it's the best theme, but it's good.

-M

I mean, that would work for me. Anything that drives more views/subs to my youtube channel is good by me. I tend to separate all my videos into playlists anyway because I'm an organization nerd.

Back