• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Anyone else concerned about 3G Network being retired as of Nov 1, 2022?

jpepe3691

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2016 Sport AC
White
For any other 3rd Gen Tacoma guys out there (Mine is 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport), what are the reactions/opinions on the retirement of 3G Networking next year, November of 2022?
What's NOT going to work anymore? Anybody know of any workarounds? Or just trade in for a new Tacoma (after taking out a 2nd mortgage to do so)??

I wouldn't worry about it too much until it actually happens. All phones only run on certain bands/frequencies. So most likely older phones will not connect to a network. Some are 3G/4G, those should continue working. 4G towers might get some type of power boost for coverage.
But what exactly are you talking about? Is this a pun joke? Was there a Tacoma option for internet connectivity from the truck itself? Where the truck's equipment is a hotspot?

I wouldn't worry about it too much until it actually happens. All phones only run on certain bands/frequencies. So most likely older phones will not connect to a network. Some are 3G/4G, those should continue working. 4G towers might get some type of power boost for coverage.
But what exactly are you talking about? Is this a pun joke? Was there a Tacoma option for internet connectivity from the truck itself? Where the truck's equipment is a hotspot?
Here is Toyota's link to 3G networking being retired and how it affects certain vehicles:
https://www.toyota.com/audio-multimedia/support/3G-faq/
It's entitled

Safety Connect® 103 – Future Disablement of Vehicle Wireless Network​

It says "Toyota Safety Connect® 103 will no longer function as of November 1, 2022. Affected Safety Connect® services include Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, 110 Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator."
There's also an option called Entune that came with my 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport, but is not active on mine. I was wondering if that is going to be affected.
"The Entune system is a versatile piece of technology that makes it easy for drivers to have access to their multimedia and mobile devices without having to compromise their safety. Hands-free voice navigation, point of interest search, audio streaming and more is available for drivers with the Entune system, which is available in all new Toyota vehicles for a fee."
I just found out, for example, I could play a DVD on the 7 inch display, but to do that I have to pair my phone via Bluetooth, and then download an APP for that, so that starts sounding like internet access, and again, since the vehicle is 2016, its running 3G, which will become OBSOLETE in 2022.

Makes me wish I still had my 2016, and could be shut off the grid next year :)

I'd love to go dark with my truck...but I think I'd have to completely rework the electronics to do so.

Makes me wish I still had my 2016, and could be shut off the grid next year :)

I'd love to go dark with my truck...but I think I'd have to completely rework the electronics to do so.
I hear 'ya. I guess it's to my advantage. My cousin's got a 2001 Tacoma, and he wishes he had a dollar for every offer he's received to buy it!
I was just curious about the 3G networking retirement issue because my brother asked me to look into it for his Genesis.

Back