• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance Additional torque and lubrication checks if using Tacoma for towing?

GrandmasKid

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I'm confused about something that I'd like some straight talk about. I own a 2021 Tacoma Off Road edition. It only has 7790 miles on with me having it for a year. I bought it to haul a 4,000 pound trailer camper with and to do a little very light off road recreation with. I bought it for what I use it for. I have two years of free maintenance service that came with truck that I bought new from a dealer. Toyota in the maintenance manual says with it being used for towing certain items need to be done every six months: 1) Lubricate propeller shaft 2) Re-torque propeller shaft bolt 3) Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body-My problem is the service rep. at the dealer said those items won't need to be done until 30K miles. I guess it would be fair to say I have trust issues. I want to keep this truck a good long time as I was able to buy it before COVID made the market so difficult. Also reliability has been an issue for me ever since I had an engine blow while on vacation in '71 when I was a bit younger. I think I know what's going on here, but I could be wrong. I'd like your opinion as to what I should do. Should I pay an independent mechanic to do the extra maintenance indicated for a vehicle that tows or can it wait? Thanks.

I'm confused about something that I'd like some straight talk about. I own a 2021 Tacoma Off Road edition. It only has 7790 miles on with me having it for a year. I bought it to haul a 4,000 pound trailer camper with and to do a little very light off road recreation with. I bought it for what I use it for. I have two years of free maintenance service that came with truck that I bought new from a dealer. Toyota in the maintenance manual says with it being used for towing certain items need to be done every six months: 1) Lubricate propeller shaft 2) Re-torque propeller shaft bolt 3) Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body-My problem is the service rep. at the dealer said those items won't need to be done until 30K miles. I guess it would be fair to say I have trust issues. I want to keep this truck a good long time as I was able to buy it before COVID made the market so difficult. Also reliability has been an issue for me ever since I had an engine blow while on vacation in '71 when I was a bit younger. I think I know what's going on here, but I could be wrong. I'd like your opinion as to what I should do. Should I pay an independent mechanic to do the extra maintenance indicated for a vehicle that tows or can it wait? Thanks.
This is my personal opinion for what I would do. I would make it a point every time the truck goes in for regular scheduled maintenance (oil change, etc). Tell them that you want confirmation that those specific areas are torqued/lubed. I personally wouldn’t be concerned outside of that. But I emphasize the personal opinion part because it was obviously written by Toyota in their manual for a reason.

Upvote 0
I agree with Tyler, my two cents would be the more we modify our vehicles the more we should inspect, service and retorque. Once my warranty ran out is when the rig become my project to upgrade and maintain so I had to learn to be my own mechanic to a point. Seems to me for what your do you're on the right path!

Upvote 0
Back