• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

3rd gen manual trans

Ched_11

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
It can be done fellas. It can still look like a real shifter!

Attachments

• D0333458-6801-4775-ACCB-907F6F12BD58.jpeg
    D0333458-6801-4775-ACCB-907F6F12BD58.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 728
Feel free to message me with questions. New to this but learning quickly??

I'm not sure if I understand this post.

In my opinion the oem shift knob and leather boot are ugly. I removed the center console and undid the boot and tucked it down farther exposing the stick more and also the heavier knob.

There's a part of me that wants to do a manual transmission swap on my truck.

There's a part of me that wants to do a manual transmission swap on my truck.

I'd think trading your truck in for a new truck with a manual would be more cost effective, right?

How much did that run ya? And how do you like it?
It cost around $315 with shipping (there are several options/prices for various knobs). This replaces the entire shifter assembly.
This may be my favorite mod. I love it because of the buttery, "snicketty, snick'' feel rowing thru the gears. It makes every shift feel more precise and the Hurst T handle seems to fit my hand perfectly. The brushed aluminum may feel a bit cool to the touch if you live in the colder climates but I guess you could put a sock over it on harsh winter days. It doesn't bother me at all.
The installation is kind of a pain although it can be done with reasonable mechanical skill in a few hours. They have install instructions on their website if you want to see what it entails. (google Core Shifters for the website)

I'd think trading your truck in for a new truck with a manual would be more cost effective, right?

Not at this point. Swapping a transmission may actually be easier than swapping everything else. Plus they don't make a double cab long bed manual transmission.

IMG_20191222_120552.jpg

Well, that looks just like my patch that came today! thanks

The patch is based off my truck ?. Thanks for supporting the site and FirefighterAid.org. ?

We're working on some new designs for the next round of patches.

That's a nice mod for you young boys but us old bastards need that looong stick :)

BTW nice job on the install, I've seen what's involved and that alone would make me pass.
LOL, thanks for calling me a young boy but I'll be 70 next week.
As far as the install, there was a little pain involved but a lot of things, I'm sure you know, are worth the pain sometimes!
About half way into it I was starting to have reservations but I'm glad I persisted. Took me way longer than if I was an actual young boy.
I enjoy the way it shifts and plan to keep this truck probably as long as they still sell gas!

LOL, thanks for calling me a young boy but I'll be 70 next week.
As far as the install, there was a little pain involved but a lot of things, I'm sure you know, are worth the pain sometimes!
About half way into it I was starting to have reservations but I'm glad I persisted. Took me way longer than if I was an actual young boy.
I enjoy the way it shifts and plan to keep this truck probably as long as they still sell gas!
I feel honored to have your wisdom upon us on T3G. Happy early birthday!

Any manual boys running 5.29 gearing on 35's? I have not seen many reviews of people actually having this setup.

PS i used the search function and couldnt find anything ?‍♂️

That's fantastic, Only the "greyheads" know what an achievement that is at that age (y)
how long did the install take? I think it would have taken me 2 to 3 days at my pace "not in a hurry" pace :LOL:

Well Done
Thanks, I really appreciate the compliment!
Lately everyting I do is at "not in a hurry pace".
So it took about four hours which I spread into two days to save my back.
Mostly it's tedious work because the shifter bolts are long, fine threaded things and you can only turn them about 1/10 turn at a time without having to reposition your wrench every time. All whilst bent over the console. Glad I did it though.

Back