• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fitting 37” tires on a 3rd Gen Tacoma (with photos)

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I took some reference photos of a 37” tire next to my 35s. I know doing it like this shows a warped perspective and doesn’t have the weight of the truck on the 37, but I figured not everyone has an extra 37 on hand, so why not?

My truck has about 3" lift in the front and 4" lift in the rear in these photos. The tires on my truck are 35s — 315/75r16 and measure about 34” tall. BFG KM3.

This 37 is unusual because it is a military tire from a HMMWV that my CUCV uses, which is sized a little differently, so not the best example.

The 37 — 37 x 12.5 r16.5. It measures true 37” with no weight on it.

From what I saw in person, the rear would fit easily and the front would fit but would obviously require the usual hacking and hammering to fit a 37. However, civilian 37s probably measure a little smaller, more like 36”. And of course you'd need to chop chop if you don't want to rub the top of the fender when driving over a curb. ;)

I hope you enjoyed my science!

IMG_0445.jpegIMG_0458.jpegIMG_0457.jpegIMG_0456.jpegIMG_0454.jpegIMG_0448.jpeg0E4A6CEA-6442-4655-833D-456F371BFA32.JPG07DCED27-0330-42DC-B51D-2D1A413A6A7D.JPG

Chop. Chop and slap some 37s on it! It’s not thaaaaaat much bigger than 35s lol
They kind of aren’t. They don’t look insane on the Tacomas I’ve seen them on. They somehow look bigger on my CUCV.

Last edited:
Will it pull the 37's without reducing the gear ratio?

Got the tires. Now waiting on the wheels.

Attachments

• 9317E327-E169-47DB-ACE3-995AA6BC5EDC.jpeg
    9317E327-E169-47DB-ACE3-995AA6BC5EDC.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 2D0739BF-C850-4C37-B805-022F3DF5FD42.jpeg
    2D0739BF-C850-4C37-B805-022F3DF5FD42.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 22731942-D2BD-4903-8B9F-338AA8990EBF.jpeg
    22731942-D2BD-4903-8B9F-338AA8990EBF.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 233
I'm dubious.

Guys are running 5.29s and 33s. The truck in the video above has no up travel. 37" mud tires weigh around 110# mounted up.

Are you planning a taco box? Are you going to cut the body so you can use the suspension?

The only way you run that much rubber without breaking stock drive train is with low gearing and no spinning. Can't do that without a doubler. Not to mention steering! When you get to 37s the rock crawlers are running PSC Steering and sometimes hydro assist.

I'm by no means an expert, but I do make all these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harry+situations

We just shot an episode comparing 35s to 37s on an LJ and the difference in power and braking was striking.

-M

I'm dubious.

Guys are running 5.29s and 33s. The truck in the video above has no up travel. 37" mud tires weigh around 110# mounted up.

Are you planning a taco box? Are you going to cut the body so you can use the suspension?

The only way you run that much rubber without breaking stock drive train is with low gearing and no spinning. Can't do that without a doubler. Not to mention steering! When you get to 37s the rock crawlers are running PSC Steering and sometimes hydro assist.

I'm by no means an expert, but I do make all these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harry+situations

We just shot an episode comparing 35s to 37s on an LJ and the difference in power and braking was striking.

-M
Tubbing the firewall is a must.

Doubler...eh. Yeah it is useful but only on certain terrains. This is coming from someone on 37s and has a tacobox.

it’s more fun on 37s lol

I'm dubious.

-M
-The wheels and tires are pretty heavy, yeah. The 5.29s (which I have) are known to pair well with the diameter of the 37s.

-The truck in the video is probably not an ideal setup. But you can get your up travel back with enough cutting inside the wheel well (and removal of the plastic liner).

-Yes, I’ll be cutting the body so it’s functional and not just for looks.

-I did want the Taco box but Marlin stopped producing them so it would be very hard to get now.

-I expect to break some things, e.g. CV, tie rods, driveshafts. I also expect to wear out the steering rack at an annoyingly faster rate. Mine is already wobbly but I’m going to start with putting in the poly bushings and then run it until the whole thing dies. The steering itself isn’t much more stressful than the 35s I already have. Obviously not ideal for the Tacoma, but feasible.

-No fancy doubler/hydro/x-fer/trans coolers etc. for me yet. The only directly related hardware change is the Nitro 5.29s. A proper OVTune helps too, I guess, but obviously not in terms of breaking shit. But next year will be my solid axle swap and certain other upgrades come with that.

-With my 37s comes moving up to 17” wheels. This allows for a decent brake upgrade at the wheels. So I’ll be doing bigger calipers/rotors. Not going to do anything under the hood for brakes though.

-My truck is heavy as hell, maybe one of the heaviest out there. But my braking and power don’t feel THAT bad. I have upgraded rotors and pads currently, idk if they are actually any better though. But the bigger/Tundra brake setup will do well. For power, a good OVTune really does help. And the 5.29s really do pair well with the 37s. My 0-60 is, I think, about 12-13 seconds? MPG is 11 town, 15 highway at 70 MPH. Highway cruising in 5th/6th is usually a comfortable 2-2500 RPM.

@StormRnr — for the record, your points are valid and I definitely wouldn’t recommend 37s to other people. I’m just justifying those things for me personally. But as you were saying, it’s not the smartest decision for normal people, lol.

@StormRnr — for the record, your points are valid and I definitely wouldn’t recommend 37s to other people. I’m just justifying those things for me personally. But as you were saying, it’s not the smartest decision for normal people, lol.
Have you watched "seekoutbeauty" on instagram lately with him fitting his new 37 KR2's?

whoops, I meant to reply to you if you watched it. Yeah he did a good job making some clearance for those 37's! Looks like their more of 36" tires but still thats impressive to fit
Agreed about the 36”. I think all BFG run smaller? I searched “tallest 37” and that’s how I came up with the Nittos. They say they are 36.8” which is on the tall side for 37s, unless you use a 38.

Back