• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Did you buy OVTune? If so, how are you liking it? Any bugs?

I know it is on my eventually list, but to be honest, I don't even hate the stock tune as much as most people. It definitely could be better though.

Edit to add most current and final 2.0 files for easy location. - @Mr. Nobody

Current updated 2.0 Automatic transmission files are located here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/tacoma-2-0-final-auto-release

Instructions for the 2020 2.0 Manual transmission files are here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/...0-manual-transmission-2020-model-year-support

Sounds like the rest of the 2.0 manual files are located in Flash Manager.

Lots of good info located here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news

Make sure you have the latest Flash Manager installed prior to flashing the truck.

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/flash-manager-1-3-0-released-with-new-logger

At what point does 4.88 gear conversion become necessary? (sorry, already threadjacking)
IMO, with 35’s you be better off with 4.88 if you can afford to. But if you can’t, I do know many people run 35’s with stock gears. Of course if you’re one of the rare 37’s on a 3rd gen, you would definitely have to regear.

Now, if you’re running the common 285/75 with a ton of weight in the bed (camping gear etc.), you’d also benefit from the regear compared to stock.

IMO, with 35’s you be better off with 4.88 if you can afford to. But if you can’t, I do know many people run 35’s with stock gears. Of course if you’re one of the rare 37’s on a 3rd gen, you would definitely have to regear.

Now, if you’re running the common 285/75 with a ton of weight in the bed (camping gear etc.), you’d also benefit from the regear compared to stock.

I've been battling in my head if I should just bite the bullet now and jump up to 285's but will eventually want to run 35's myself just not ready to spend money on regearing yet. I want to get my bedrock and RTT set up first along with some pods and light bar before I do other things. Right now I'm on 265/75/16's and it serves its purpose for the moment. Didn't expect to get my lift and wheels so soon.

I've been battling in my head if I should just bite the bullet now and jump up to 285's but will eventually want to run 35's myself just not ready to spend money on regearing yet. I want to get my bedrock and RTT set up first along with some pods and light bar before I do other things. Right now I'm on 265/75/16's and it serves its purpose for the moment. Didn't expect to get my lift and wheels so soon.
I would suggest not doing what I did. I got the 285’s but wish I got 35’s. If you can, try to hold off on new tires until you think you’re ready to do everything it takes to run 35’s. Just my advice so you’re not having to upgrade 3 times, lol.

I would suggest not doing what I did. I got the 285’s but wish I got 35’s. If you can, try to hold off on new tires until you think you’re ready to do everything it takes to run 35’s. Just my advice so you’re not having to upgrade 3 times, lol.

Yah thats why I'm having such a mental battle let alone the funding itself. Lol

this is making me reconsider getting 285 :/

Did you buy OVTune? If so, how are you liking it? Any bugs?

I know it is on my eventually list, but to be honest, I don't even hate the stock tune as much as most people. It definitely could be better though.

I have mine. Trying to work everything out so I can install! Seems like it is taking forever!

The long delays for install are rather recent since Mat has gotten infinitely more busy lately as more people find out about OVT and also because of unforeseen delays with the hardware reaching him to be sent out. On top of that, he's in the middle of moving locations and swapping to a new system that doesn't require the whole emailing back and forth for licensing thing once you receive the hardware, so patience is a necessity. In addition to all of that, he's also still improving on existing tunes, helping people with their issues, and then lastly, our trucks are not the only platform he works on.

Just want to explain all of that so that people don't turn away from the tune just because they hear it's "taking forever". There's been people in the TW threads bashing him without knowing the full story of the situation, so it's best to be knowledgeable.

The long delays for install are rather recent since Mat has gotten infinitely more busy lately as more people find out about OVT and also because of unforeseen delays with the hardware reaching him to be sent out. On top of that, he's in the middle of moving locations and swapping to a new system that doesn't require the whole emailing back and forth for licensing thing once you receive the hardware, so patience is a necessity. In addition to all of that, he's also still improving on existing tunes, helping people with their issues, and then lastly, our trucks are not the only platform he works on.

Just want to explain all of that so that people don't turn away from the tune just because they hear it's "taking forever". There's been people in the TW threads bashing him without knowing the full story of the situation, so it's best to be knowledgeable.
Good information to have. Do you know him well?

Good information to have. Do you know him well?
No I wouldn't say that at all, but myself and others have been either following the tune development rather closely since whenever we got in (some as early as the very start in mid June '17 or earlier, whereas I got in mid Dec '17 with 1.03) and/or had a hand in the development process. The tune is updated and improved upon via datalogging and community feedback, not solely Mat's own R&D truck. This is especially true for the MT's. He didnt have access to one, so a bunch of us started datalogging to help out.

All that being said, he does jump on from time to time to notify people in TW of reasons for some of the delays and whatnot, and the general goings-on and some of his future plans, like bolt-on parts and a twin turbo kit, as well as other plans for tuning.

So there's a difference between knowing him and the reality of it, which is having had contact with him and even helped a bit with the tune development via feedback and logs, and watching the threads as time goes on and updates are rolled out.

Last edited:
Awesome, seems like you're decently involved with the development of the tune as far as consumer feedback and suggestions go. I know he's busy as hell, but I wonder if he'd like to be a vendor here...

Awesome, seems like you're decently involved with the development of the tune as far as consumer feedback and suggestions go. I know he's busy as hell, but I wonder if he'd like to be a vendor here...
Only since 1.03 for the MT's came out. Haven't been there since the dawn of the whole project like some people lol oh well

Dunno, who knows. Here's the link to his TW profile page though if you want to reach out to him and ask, although he may not get back to you right away: https://www.tacomaworld.com/members/ovtune.214557/

Also will PM you his email that he uses for customer support

If it weren't for the tune I would be driving a used 2ng Gen.. which is not a bad thing, but still, I would have been out about 4G on the trade loss. I hated the stock tune that much.

Before anyone asks, I did get to test drive once because manuals are hard to come by so I has less than 30 minutes to get my drive in before the customer who bought the truck came in to pick it up. At the time it didn't seem like anything because I was coming from an Audi A4 manual. It wasn't soon after I got my truck I realized it was difficult to keep up with traffic and I was averaging 14.2 MPG... My driving is 100% surface streets. Post tune I have no issues keeping up with the flow and now averaging 16 MPG. I stuck to the 87 octane tune. I wasn't in it for any type of performance gains, it was all about drive-ability for me.

How much is ovt and what’s the process of getting it?

How much is ovt and what’s the process of getting it?

Someone who's recently ordered the tune will need to respond. It's changed some because it used to be a process. Order, get your kit, follow instructions to download drivers and software, then email key to OV, wait for his response, then send another file back, wait for response.. and then finally you get the tune file. This can take hours or over a week.
I don't think that's the case anymore because there's flash manager which allows you download any released tune file. He's also working out or has worked out a better way to validate license keys.

Someone who's recently ordered the tune will need to respond. It's changed some because it used to be a process. Order, get your kit, follow instructions to download drivers and software, then email key to OV, wait for his response, then send another file back, wait for response.. and then finally you get the tune file. This can take hours or over a week.
I don't think that's the case anymore because there's flash manager which allows you download any released tune file. He's also working out or has worked out a better way to validate license keys.
Mat also announced that future kits won't even need a dongle like what we've been using. So there's that too.

*note: this screenshot is from his comment back on Wednesday, so the site may be back up. I personally haven't verified

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-06-21-05-48.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-21-05-48.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 274
I want it but have too many orher projects on my plate. It became quite obvious after driving in the mountains this weekend and switching to S mode because the truck was bouncing through 3-6 gear like crazy. I have a sprint booster and will order that Shift Sense in the meantime.

I want it but have too many orher projects on my plate. It became quite obvious after driving in the mountains this weekend and switching to S mode because the truck was bouncing through 3-6 gear like crazy. I have a sprint booster and will order that Shift Sense in the meantime.
What is the sprint booster?

What is the sprint booster?
It's like the Pedal Commander. It tells the truck that your throttle percentage is more than what it really is.

The important thing to remember with devices like the PC and SB is that they don't add actual power. They just help you access it. So for example, you give perhaps 20% throttle, and depending on what setting you're using, it'll send a signal for 40 or 50% throttle. That's why there's lots of misinformation floating around about these devices because your butt dyno lies to you and you think you've gained power

For the record, the Sprint Booster works well. I haven't used one, but there are floods of positive reviews about it. The OV Tune is for someone looking to improve drivability and take advantage of changes to application of power and even added power with the higher octane maps, among other benefits.

A SB just modifies the throttle position signal sent, the throttle response. One facet of the many that a tune can address. Which is why price is reflected in them both. It comes down to what you need/want

It's like the Pedal Commander. It tells the truck that your throttle percentage is more than what it really is.

The important thing to remember with devices like the PC and SB is that they don't add actual power. They just help you access it. So for example, you give perhaps 20% throttle, and depending on what setting you're using, it'll send a signal for 40 or 50% throttle. That's why there's lots of misinformation floating around about these devices because your butt dyno lies to you and you think you've gained power
If it at least feels like you have that low end power, it must be a pretty decent experience. I guess it won’t do anything about the 3-6 shifting on hills and whatnot, but around town it’ll probably feel nice with the SB.

If it at least feels like you have that low end power, it must be a pretty decent experience. I guess it won’t do anything about the 3-6 shifting on hills and whatnot, but around town it’ll probably feel nice with the SB.
Yeah, there's plenty of people that will swear by it until they're blue in the face, so it must be great. That being said, I do have my own opinions about the Sprint Booster + Shift Sense Pro combo. It's not unheard of by any means, it works well no doubt, from what I've read, but for the price you pay you may as well just get the OVTune at that point I think.

That being said, I get that people have limited funds, life gets in the way, and a lot of people acquire their mods here and there. It happens.

This is something I want to do, but am waiting/holding off on as there are other things I want/need to do first (like installing my suspension). I am a big fan of tuning for better gearing/efficiency, and have done it on a few vehicles. I figure by the time I am ready to order, the process/wait time will be less.....

Eh, makes me a little sketchy about the tune. It’s not like diablo or a large company developing the program.

Back