• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2GR-FKS engine removal procedure?

Thunderhawktaco

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need to swap out the original 2grfks (3.5L) from my 2016 after apparent failure in the number 5 cylinder. I'm going to purchase a remanufactured long block and wanted to start the process of pulling the current motor. Does anyone have access to any info/have experience swapping out?

Thanks in advance.

Whoa. Sorry about that. Good luck. Haven't the foggiest. Might ask Tacomadad. He's working on swapping his engine for a v8 after his original blew on the trial.

Upvote 0
First let me tell you. It’s not the easiest.

Get the harness off as much as possible and bungee cord it up as far as you can.

Radiator has to be removed. You can access the bolts for the motor mounts through the little cubby holes in the wheel wells. *note, it’s the not the center bolt. The 2 that bolt to the frame mount is the ones that came off.

You will need to remove the whole front clip, unless you have a long reach hoist.

Trans bolts, good luck. The top two are hard to reach. Best best is to have the motor raised up at an angle to get to them.

To disconnect the torque converter, remove starter. There is almost no room to get the starter out, just turn and turn it until you get it in a position you can use an open end wrench to get to the torque converter bolts.

It’s a time consuming job, but I was also not trying to do it quickly.

Upvote 0
Back