• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2022 Tacoma - Spark Knock / Pinging

bbuoni8

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2022 SR AC Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hi everyone, I bought a new Tacoma SR with V6 in February, and it has 7,000 miles. I have noticed something that is happening when the engine is warm, and I am doing stop and go driving. Between about 15 - 45 mph, and especially when the truck is changing gears, I am getting a pinging sound / spark knock upon acceleration. It's difficult to do a video, as it's most noticeable when the windows are down, and there is too much wind noise for my phone to pick up this noise effectively. I run Shell gas, 87 octane in this (since day 1), and I've heard others say that they used 91 octane to deal with this issue, some have talked about the knock sensor, etc.

Anyone deal with this, and any solutions that you might recommend? Thanks very much!

Pinging sound? I know it's common to hear a type of knocking sound in the engine when it just idles (kind of a knock it's hard to explain) but never heard of a pinging sound. I run 87 as well and my truck sounds fine. Have you contacted the dealer about it? Maybe they can look into it before anything

Upvote 0
Pinging sound? I know it's common to hear a type of knocking sound in the engine when it just idles (kind of a knock it's hard to explain) but never heard of a pinging sound. I run 87 as well and my truck sounds fine. Have you contacted the dealer about it? Maybe they can look into it before anything
Not yet... It doesn't happen when it is idling.. I know that sound pretty well, because of the direct injection + port injection. This happens when accelerating, and especially when a shift has just occurred and RPM's are lower. If you search Spark Knock / pinging on Youtube, you'll see some examples of people who experience this.

Upvote 0
Not yet... It doesn't happen when it is idling.. I know that sound pretty well, because of the direct injection + port injection. This happens when accelerating, and especially when a shift has just occurred and RPM's are lower. If you search Spark Knock / pinging on Youtube, you'll see some examples of people who experience this.
Looking at the Tacoma fuel testing done to get the MPG from the EPA on the window sticker,
all testing was done using a 91octane fuel.

The vehicle will run on a lower octane as many do daily, some have no issue.
Glad to see you are running Shell as they are "normally" a Top Tier Fuel distributer. Make sure your station is one for sure!
Some stations are not.

Top Tier fuels have all the additives and detergents recommended by the manufacture.
1661934443266.png

Not all stations purchase the "better" fuel for cost reasons :mad:.
Original link: https://youtu.be/bm14Cw1pt24

An automatic is computer controlled and shifts to maintain the best fuel mileage during normal driving this may be helpful in that sense.
However it may not be the best for performance as many have noted with the automatic,.... nature of the beast!

Look up your station to see if it is on the list of Top Tier, (however its managed by a human and they can cheat).
Try a different station and see if you have improvement, if not try running 91.

I run at least 91 just like I change my oil every 5000 miles, sure it cost a bit more but in the long run it may well be a great investment!

Find your station here (link address below) by zip code or city and try another to test the "nature of the beast".

Station Finder (https://toptiergas.com/station-finder/)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait so we should be running 91?? 0_0
Your vehicle must use only unleaded gasoline.

Select octane rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 87 may result in engine knocking. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage.

At minimum, the gasoline you use should meet the specifications of ASTM D4814 in the U.S.A. and CGSB3.5-M93 in Canada.

■Fuel tank opening for unleaded gasoline

To help prevent incorrect fueling, your Toyota has a fuel tank opening that only accommodates the special nozzle on unleaded fuel pumps.

■If your engine knocks

●Consult your Toyota dealer.

●You may occasionally notice light knocking for a short time while accelerating or driving uphill. This is normal and there is no need for concern.

■Gasoline quality

In very few cases, driveability problems may be caused by the brand of gasoline you are using. If driveability problems persist, try changing the brand of gasoline. If this does not correct the problem, consult your Toyota dealer.

■Gasoline quality standards

●Automotive manufacturers in the US, Europe and Japan have developed a specification for fuel quality called World-Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) that is expected to be applied worldwide.

●The WWFC consists of four categories that are based on required emission levels. In the US, category 4 has been adopted.

●The WWFC improves air quality by lowering emissions in vehicle fleets, and customer satisfaction through better performance.

■Toyota recommends the use of gasoline containing detergent additives

●Toyota recommends the use of gasoline that contains detergent additives to avoid build-up of engine deposits.

●All gasoline sold in the U.S. contains minimum detergent additives to clean and/or keep clean intake systems, per EPA's lowest additives concentration program.

●Toyota strongly recommends the use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. For more information on Top Tier Detergent Gasoline and a list of marketers, please go to the official website www.toptiergas.com.

■Toyota recommends the use of cleaner burning gasolin

Cleaner burning gasoline, including reformulated gasoline that contains oxygenates such as ethanol or MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) is available in many areas.

Toyota recommends the use of cleaner burning gasoline and appropriately blended reformulated gasoline. These types of gasoline provide excellent vehicle performance, reduce vehicle emissions and improve air quality.

■Toyota does not recommend blended gasoline

●Use only gasoline containing a maximum of 10% ethanol.

●Use only gasoline containing a maximum of 10% ethanol.

DO NOT use any flex-fuel or gasoline that could contain more than 10% ethanol, including from any pump labeled E15, E30, E50, E85 (which are only some examples of fuel containing more than 10% ethanol).

●If you use gasohol in your Toyota, be sure that it has an octane rating no lower than 87.

●Toyota does not recommend the use of gasoline containing methanol.

■Toyota does not recommend gasoline containing MMT

Some gasoline contains octane enhancing additive called MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl).

Toyota does not recommend the use of gasoline that contains MMT. If fuel containing MMT is used, your emission control system may be adversely affected.

The malfunction indicator lamp on the instrument cluster may come on. If this happens, contact your Toyota dealer for service.

NOTICE

■Notice on fuel quality

●Do not use improper fuels.

If improper fuels are used the engine will be damaged.

●Do not use leaded gasoline.

Leaded gasoline can cause damage to your vehicle's three-way catalytic converters causing the emission control system to malfunction.

●Do not use gasohol other than that stated here.

Other gasohol may cause fuel system damage or vehicle performance problems.

●Using unleaded gasoline with an octane number or rating lower than the level previously stated will cause persistent heavy knocking.

At worst, this will lead to engine damage.

■Fuel-related poor driveability

If after using a different type of fuel, poor driveability is encountered (poor hot starting, vaporization, engine knocking, etc.), discontinue the use of that type of fuel.

Upvote 0
Wait so we should be running 91?? 0_0
What I posted above is from the Toyota Manual.
Notice the octane used "research" testing is 91

NOTE they even have you to "consult" the website,.... Top Teir

Saving pennies will cost you dollars in the end ,........ funny how 87 is "acceptable" (it will run) BUT they based all "research" using 91

Upvote 0
I would recommend finding a Top Teir fueling station and using the 87 (if you prefer) if the vehicle operates fine, you are good!
As noted, if you continue to have knocking or performance concerns use 91.

These engines are not like the engines of the 70's thru 90's,..... improved designs usually need better fuels.
Just like the food you eat, good in equals good performance,

Temperature and elevation (oxygen levels) also play a role in engine operation,
just like a athlete competing in Denver vs a lower elevation as to oxygen and the same goes for cold vs hot temps on the human body for overheating and sweating.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure all conditions will affect outcomes in performance.
"you are what you eat" means exactly what it says

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I bought a new Tacoma SR with V6 in February, and it has 7,000 miles. I have noticed something that is happening when the engine is warm, and I am doing stop and go driving. Between about 15 - 45 mph, and especially when the truck is changing gears, I am getting a pinging sound / spark knock upon acceleration. It's difficult to do a video, as it's most noticeable when the windows are down, and there is too much wind noise for my phone to pick up this noise effectively. I run Shell gas, 87 octane in this (since day 1), and I've heard others say that they used 91 octane to deal with this issue, some have talked about the knock sensor, etc.

Anyone deal with this, and any solutions that you might recommend? Thanks very much!

I run the same octane from Shell since day one too and I also hear the "spark knock" @ 40 to 45 mph @ 2000 rpm especially when I am going up a hill.

Upvote 0
Good heaven's! Not the "top tier" BS again. "IF" it is pinging that's indicative of timing isues or lower octane fuels. Additives do not address pinging unless you are running an ethanol blend not recommended for your vehicle. By the way, one of TEL's functions was to help with these sorts of issues. But the government in it's illogical wisdom banned it.

First step on a new vehicle when things go awry is take it to the dealer. It might be a simple adjustment.

Upvote 0

Mine is 2020 sr5 and I'm having the same issue with 15k miles, don't know what to think or do.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same exact problem, it's not the regular engine direct injection knock. With 15k miles nothing comes to my mind that is broken inside, even pulled an spark plug and use a borescope to look inside and everything looked normal. I've read a few things like if it's too hot, I live in TX since I started hearing this issue was this summer never before and this year is extremely hot, don't know if it's related. Going to a dealer is tricky I don't trust them.

Upvote 0
Back