• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2022 Tacoma OR Interior LED Swap

Alborland242

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Sup Gents,
New to the site and to the Tacoma world. I bought this truck new earlier this year, the wife surprised me with a set of interior lights from Amazon. Well here is where I believe i fucked up. I had all the interior lights swapped out other than the dome light. All interior lights were on during the install of the leds. As i was installing the last led in the dome, it slipped out of my fingers while maintaining connection very loosely. In the moment as the light was falling out of my fingers, the truck went dark. The dome light with the led did work for a very short time, as in a few seconds if that. Which is when the truck went dark. The ambient lights inside the truck work along with the radio, dash, door panel ect. The lights that currently do NOT work are the sun visor lights, upper console (where the crawl control lives), and the dome light. Basically everywhere a LED could live went out.

Now here is my biggest worry and whereI already suspect that I am fucked, the fuse did not blow. Its a 20a from my understanding from looking under the hood. I believe i shorted something out but of course have no idea what or where. For good measure i swapped 20a fusees around to the dome location yet zero lights came back alive. I am pretty good with my hands and mechanically inclined so as much as an armature I am, I do know how to work around a vehicle. Granted though electrical issues is where my skills lack. Lost on where to look for the problem and panicking that im looking at a new wiring harness for the truck just to get interior lights back.

Last edited:
It's possible something shorted in the dome so check that after looking over your fuses. There are PCBs in there that don't take hot-swapping bulbs very well. Some info here.

Also, disconnect your battery every time you're doing something that requires unplugging stuff. These trucks are sensitive!

Upvote 0
The dome light fuse is 7.5amps according to the wiring diagram. You are also looking at the fuse box inside the truck on the drivers side, right?
Yes I'm looking under the hood as I am unaware of another fues panel. This is also a '22 Tacoma. I failed to mention that. Before posting, I did see that the Dome light is typically a 7.5a however with this being a new truck I believe it's now a 29a after looking under the hood. Inside the dues box under the hood, it clearly states dome and a 20a fuse. Correct me if I am wrong. I hope I am as it'll be a cheaper and easier repair.

Upvote 0
The dome light fuse is 7.5amps according to the wiring diagram. You are also looking at the fuse box inside the truck on the drivers side, right?
Yes I'm looking under the hood as I am unaware of another fues panel. This is also a '22 Tacoma. I failed to mention that. Before posting, I did see that the Dome light is typically a 7.5a however with this being a new truck I believe it's now a 29a after looking under the hood. Inside the dues box under the hood, it clearly states dome and a 20a fuse. Correct me if I am wrong. I hope I am as it'll be a cheaper and easier repair.
It's possible something shorted in the dome so check that after looking over your fuses. There are PCBs in there that don't take hot-swapping bulbs very well. Some info here.

Also, disconnect your battery every time you're doing something that requires unplugging stuff. These trucks are sensitive!
Thank you for the link I'll check this route out next.

My only hiccup with a short located in the dome, if it's shorted out here, wny does everything else work inside the truck minus the areas where I placed LEDs at? This is making me think it's not the only place I need to look

Upvote 0
I embedded the link to a video at the right time to show you where the interior fuse box is (and where the dome light 7.5amp fuse is located). It looks like somebody else posted another version showing you the same.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAEkHB460Zg&t=80s

Upvote 0
Back