• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2021 Off Road Tacoma front shock leaking?

TacoTomDFW

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
The lowest part of this front spring is covered with oil. No oil anywhere else. What’s leaking? Is it the shock?

Attachments

• F5420137-C095-448A-9B90-3911499CD413.jpeg
    F5420137-C095-448A-9B90-3911499CD413.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 85
Most likely. The stock OR shocks ride decent but they're not known for having a long lifespan (normally 50-80k). You might be able to get Toyota to warranty it, but if not, take-off's are available for cheap usually.

Upvote 0
Thanks drizzoh. Is this a big job to remove and replace? Not sure if Tacoma front shocks are part of a strut system like some vehicle have.

Upvote 0
Tacoma's have shocks on all 4 corners (no struts), but if you can find a complete replacement coilover assembly it is not difficult to change out. Very straight forward. Worst part is the UCA will have to be unbolted from the knuckle, but in my experience, they separate easily on these trucks.

Upvote 0
Tacoma's have shocks on all 4 corners (no struts), but if you can find a complete replacement coilover assembly it is not difficult to change out. Very straight forward. Worst part is the UCA will have to be unbolted from the knuckle, but in my experience, they separate easily on these trucks.
When just swapping that shock you don't have to touch the UCA. You can drop the entire assembly out just from unbolting the lower bolt and the 3 nuts up top.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC33zcI9mXY

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But that dude unhooks the LCA lol. IMO that's the harder one to do.
We're talking about removing the entire shock to replace right?

That's how I did it. Super quick. I thought it was easier than dealing with the long ass bolt and the angle of approach to get that UCA bolt out.
I went this route and it just dropped out. The LCA bolt is easier to access and I just marked it straight across with a Sharpie so it would stay close. Then took it straight in for an alignment. Both ways work. I just thought this was easier. If I had to go the UCA route, I would have probably skipped it and took it to a shop. There used to be a clip of a guy removing the entire assembly in like 2 minutes. I figured if it could be done that quick, it would be the easier route. My thought process on it.

He made it seem so easy.
Found it:

Source: https://youtu.be/YqKGATv2SaA

Upvote 0
Back