• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2019 2.7 cold start rattle

The video doesn't work for me for some reason, probably cause it's my work computer... But I had a rattle on my 3.5L and it was just the heat shield with rusty bolts. Replaced those now it's fine. 1st check the oil tho make sure that's okay

Upvote 0
Ok. Still very random and even seemed much better and further apart until this morning. Not cold (50 degrees). Last week I Changed my VVT oil solenoid / control valves as a last ditch effort and also switched to a “Tacoma oil forum” recommended Mobil 1 Extended Performance along with staying with the OEM Toyota filter. One week after, I get this same rattle, but it doesn’t fade and go away on its own. I simply turned off the key. Then restarted with ZERO noise. Which now makes me wonder if something is sticking, hanging up, possible starter solenoid hanging, or the pin in the VVT finally sticking?? Is it my oil change, I’m still with 0W20 full synthetic?? I still think it sounds in the top end. But this is the first time that it seemed that it would not stop on its own. It stayed solid until I turned the key off. Then not a peep on an immediate re-start. Any other advice? TIA

Upvote 0
So I listened to the video on my phone a couple times, sounds (almost) exactly like the sound I was experiencing... Check your heat shield hardware (when the truck isn't hot) make sure everything's all tight and not too rusted

Upvote 0
I think I have checked them all. They all seem tight, and I can’t get them to rattle by hand at all. I’m just kinda confused today about the noise continuing until I turned it off, but then 100% quiet on immediate restart. Appreciate any more input or advice. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Have you tried banging on the shield? Could be some junk up in there causing a gap somewhere.. Do you only hear it on a "cold start"? Like the first start of the day? Or is it every startup?

Upvote 0
It’s always the first start. Starts perfectly quiet all day after one of these episodes. If it did it every morning, or every Monday after sitting, I could make a little more sense of this. But I have been out of town at times, with it just sitting, return to 26 degrees and it start perfect. Also have gone 3-4 weeks without this annoying noise. Also, have had it a few times in one week with me running it all day every day. Its just so random. But sounds so catastrophic.

And yes, I have banged around on every heat shield I can find. Are there any hidden, or in bizarre locations?

Upvote 0
I'm about 85% sure it has something to do with the heat shield... I leave early today from work so when I do, I'm gonna go look around mine cause Idk under these things like the back of my hand... Next time you "cold" start it, try recording under the truck, try to isolate where this sound is coming from just in case

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the help. It’s driving me crazy and I’ve gone down the whole VVTI / Timing chain tensioner / oil types, rabbit hole. Been ready to give up and drive, as so many recommend.

It’s just so horrible sounding and sounds internal when I’m in the cab. So I can’t bring myself to let it run and go to looking / checking. But next time, I will.

Again, really appreciate the help, as I can’t stand an issue that I can’t solve.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the help. It’s driving me crazy and I’ve gone down the whole VVTI / Timing chain tensioner / oil types, rabbit hole. Been ready to give up and drive, as so many recommend.

It’s just so horrible sounding and sounds internal when I’m in the cab. So I can’t bring myself to let it run and go to looking / checking. But next time, I will.

Again, really appreciate the help, as I can’t stand an issue that I can’t solve.

I had this happen tonight on my 2016 Tacoma and I have no idea what it could of been . The noise sounded like a rod knock and then it just went away . I turned the truck off started it again and nothing . I have 103k on it and have just changed the oil a week ago

Upvote 0
Sorry I forgot to reply the other day... But I did look around the underneath and honestly, I have no idea what to tell you.. Without me being there, hearing the noise, seeing your truck since it's probably a little bit different than my TRD, I really dunno.. Maybe take it down to Toyota and talk to them about it. I did when I had my issue and it took us a few hours to find the noise (mainly waiting for it to cool off for a true cold start) but it's well worth a day if you can take a day to do it

Upvote 0
Back