• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! 2016 Tacoma Bed loose

mrwiggins

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
The front passenger side of my truck bed has some travel. I can move it up and down. And it rattles when I drive.

I already used a torque wrench to tighten down the bolts in the bed of the truck. Didn't have any impact on the movement.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?

I looked into this for you. Got me curious and thinking about my own bed.

I know when I got my truck new the truck bed wasn't aligned. I took it in and mentioned it to Service. They realigned it. A lot of them were misaligned.

What year is your Tacoma? If it's still under warranty, let the dealership handle it.

Look under the bed where it attaches to the frame. Isolate where the travel is. Is there a gap between the frame and bed?

I'd say undo all of them. But don't take them out the whole way. With all the bolts loosened but still threaded try to adjust/align the bed. Once it seems to be good, start to tighten the bolts. I'd say go evenly on them all, alternating in a cross pattern. If that doesn't fix it, remove the bolt where there is travel. See if the bolt head is against the bed liner or if it rests on a sleeve inside that's higher than the bed.

Lastly if that doesn't fix it, people have made washers or purchased large washers. Some use rubber mats and others use polyethylene to make a washer. This eliminates the gap between the bed and frame.

TkiPxS.jpg

Upvote 0
Back