• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

‘21 Army Green TRD OR - first truck!

mundytrails

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’ve had a 4G 4Runner (pictures below) for years, but have wanted to get a Tacoma for a while now. I ordered the truck last week and just agreed to sell the 4Runner today.

I’m getting a TRD Off-road in Army Green and it should be here in a couple weeks.

Like any good Taco fan I’ve got a long list of mods I’d eventually like, but I thought I’d ask you guys if there’s anything you’d do first thing when you get home? I’m talking boring stuff like bedliner and locking tailgate. What else is a must?

Attachments

• CCAAE278-B361-411E-B5A1-6F793E924D0E.jpeg
    CCAAE278-B361-411E-B5A1-6F793E924D0E.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 65BE5286-DB6B-4161-9C23-80231703A91B.jpeg
    65BE5286-DB6B-4161-9C23-80231703A91B.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
As someone who purchased their truck used, I’d recommend getting a bad mat and either oem floor liners…or buy Husky/Weathertech ones. I do wish I would have bought new for the oem led headlights. I think they look amazing. I wouldn’t waste money on the oem Toyota lift, better set ups for less money out there.

Welcome!

Nice 4Runner! I have an 08 Sport in Dark Gray Pearl Metallic. Love it. The 4G and older 4Runners are getting top $ these days, so you should fare well. They’re getting crazy money for the old Land Cruisers nowadays, so I get the feeling a lot of folks are building older 4Runners instead, which is now driving up their values. Good luck.

Hey everyone! I’ve had a 4G 4Runner (pictures below) for years, but have wanted to get a Tacoma for a while now. I ordered the truck last week and just agreed to sell the 4Runner today.

I’m getting a TRD Off-road in Army Green and it should be here in a couple weeks.

Like any good Taco fan I’ve got a long list of mods I’d eventually like, but I thought I’d ask you guys if there’s anything you’d do first thing when you get home? I’m talking boring stuff like bedliner and locking tailgate. What else is a must?
Congrats on the Army Green Tacoma coming soon.
I know i'm biased because i am a Tuner.
Get your truck tuned. You won't be disappointed. All Tacomas need to get tuned. $$ well spent !!

Victor

Nice 4Runner! I have an 08 Sport in Dark Gray Pearl Metallic. Love it. The 4G and older 4Runners are getting top $ these days, so you should fare well. They’re getting crazy money for the old Land Cruisers nowadays, so I get the feeling a lot of folks are building older 4Runners instead, which is now driving up their values. Good luck.
Unfortunately, it's 2WD so it's got limited appeal for a build (otherwise I'd keep it!), but you're still right. I'm getting 3x the trade-in value. The used market is crazy right now.

Can I ask why you think it should be delivered in a couple weeks? I just ordered a truck as well but I was told 3-6 months 😬

Congrats and welcome to the neighborhood!

Hello and welcome from SW Missouri. The first things I purchased were nerf bars, all terrain tires, bed liner, and bed cover. You will find there are numerous items you can purchase for your new Tacoma.

Do you know what options its coming with already?
I'm almost embarrassed about how loaded it is. There are options I wasn't planning on, but it was the closest thing to what I wanted that they had coming in. Here's to hoping it's somewhat on time! :whistle:

Factory Options:
-2021 TRD Off-Road V6 DCSB
-4WD Automatic
-Army Green
-Premium Package (I love a moonroof)
-Advanced Tech Package
-LED package
-Roof Rack
-All-weather mats
-Predator Steps
-Blackout Emblem Overlays

Planned mods:
-OEM Bedliner
-OEM remote tailgate lock
-tonneau cover (looking for recommendations)
-window tint (I live in Central CA and it's a hella hot)

Down the road I might do a leveling lift and add some sliders (I don't love the stock steps). Most of my 4WD needs are just getting to a from trailheads and campsites, but I could see getting into crawling as time goes on.

The following link is tonneau covers on the Realtruck website. I went with the Truxedo Truxport and it works well for me.

I'm almost embarrassed about how loaded it is. There are options I wasn't planning on, but it was the closest thing to what I wanted that they had coming in. Here's to hoping it's somewhat on time! :whistle:

Factory Options:
-4WD Automatic
-Army Green
-Advanced Tech Package
-LED package
-Roof Rack
-All-weather mats
-Predator Steps

Planned mods:
-OEM Bedliner

Down the road I might do a leveling lift and add some sliders (I don't love the stock steps). Most of my 4WD needs are just getting to a from trailheads and campsites, but I could see getting into crawling as time goes on.
Looks like a great start! The premium package "should" include leather seats IIRC. One thing you could do, if aren't planning on keeping those predator steps, ask the dealer to remove them from your build. I was going to go this route with my dealer. But I ended up finding a used one for a decent deal. My dealer was all about me buying new, but I was very stern on not wanting those steps, they worked with the build manager and he was able to remove those once the truck arrived. Thus saving me the cost of the steps. Not sure if it's that big of a deal to you, but to me saving the ~$600 was worth the fight.

Looks like a great start! The premium package "should" include leather seats IIRC. One thing you could do, if aren't planning on keeping those predator steps, ask the dealer to remove them from your build. I was going to go this route with my dealer. But I ended up finding a used one for a decent deal. My dealer was all about me buying new, but I was very stern on not wanting those steps, they worked with the build manager and he was able to remove those once the truck arrived. Thus saving me the cost of the steps. Not sure if it's that big of a deal to you, but to me saving the ~$600 was worth the fight.
That's a great idea! They're not terrible, but I don't need them that low and would rather have something that offers more protection anyhow.

Factory Options:
-4WD Automatic
-Army Green
-Advanced Tech Package
-LED package
-Roof Rack
-All-weather mats
-Predator Steps

Planned mods:
-OEM Bedliner

Nice - Premium Package. I had a Bakflip MX4 www.bakindustries.com. Well made and one of the Best in it's price range. Highly recommend it. Sold it because i got a Snugtop Rebel Shell.

Victor

Planned mods:
-OEM Bedliner

Bed has a composite liner. I'm not sure about lining over it. I'm conflicted there.
Tailgate lock - easy install.
Tonneau - BakFlip MX4. If you watch Amazon Warehouse deals, people have been snatching them for $400-$500. Sometimes they are just brand new. Someone changed their mind and returned it. Sometimes they might be missing a couple parts, but Bakflip CS is pretty good.
Tint - go ceramic. Also a good idea to ceramic clear 100% to the windshield, rear and backwall windows.

If heat is a concern, you can also do insulation. Sound and thermal. Line the doors. Easiest. Lining the floor and ceiling is more of a pain. Floor isn't too bad, but it's time consuming. Butyl to reduce and absorb noise. Vibrations. Then foam on top for thermal regulation. Butyl layer has the butyl + foil then foam on top. Sounds good in my mind for keeping heat out.

Bed has a composite liner. I'm not sure about lining over it. I'm conflicted there.
Tailgate lock - easy install.
Tonneau - BakFlip MX4. If you watch Amazon Warehouse deals, people have been snatching them for $400-$500. Sometimes they are just brand new.
Thanks! Especially for the Amazon Warehouse tip. I’ve decided on the MX4 but hadn’t started shopping around yet and hadn’t even thought about that.

Notes on the MX4.

Nice truck. I would not modify it much for a few months. Get a sense of what you like and don't like, then add to it afterwards with enhancing function as the goal. It's already a cool truck, but will get cooler as time goes on.

Nice truck. I would not modify it much for a few months. Get a sense of what you like and don't like, then add to it afterwards with enhancing function as the goal. It's already a cool truck, but will get cooler as time goes on.
Thanks! That’s the plan. I’m going to throw on a tonneau and just get used to it. It’s already more capable than I need.

Back